stv vs arc light

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

stv vs arc light

Post by mkrich601 »

would you guys let a steel gantry and welded frame(stv) vs a aluminum gantry and bolted frame ( arc light) be a deciding factor.
me being a welder first I like the welded Frame but stv uses myplasmacnc software and arc light uses sheet cam. I like the arc light but can't wrap my head around a bolted together frame. also arc light has more features I can add later if I want. stv does not. pros and cons please.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: stv vs arc light

Post by acourtjester »

I have always used a welded frame for durability on the tables I built. With the forces being used to move the X and Y axis at speed bolts could have a habit of getting loose over time.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

That's a tough one. STV does offer welded tables now and for half the price of the ArcLight. I have not compared options but I suspect the STV is pretty stripped down for that price. ArcLight has been around much longer and their build quality is pretty impressive. If it were me and I was choosing between the 2, I would get the Arclight unless STV was local to me. Are either of these brands local to you?
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mkrich601 »

No neither are no where near me.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Where are you located? Always nice to check out anyone local first.
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mkrich601 »

The only thing is Stv doesn’t have any accessories to add. Table wise they have the same options. My real concern is don’t know if I can add a aftermarket or self fabricated air scribe to Stv’s my plasmacnc software. Only thing they offer in scribes is hypertherm ez scribe
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mkrich601 »

South Mississippi
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I don't know of any brands out your way. I have read elseware that the stv software does not make it easy if not impossible to add an option like and air scribe. I would be leaning towards the Arclight. Which model are you looking at, so many now. Post a link to it if you can.
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mkrich601 »

The ability to add an air scribe later would be really nice. But I don’t understand why it would be impossible to add to Stv
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That is the Arclight I was looking at, the STV is different and that is a nice looking unit as well. I would still go Arclight, more time in business, have a great reputation, and they are not shy about zooming in on all of the detail features of the table for you to see where I cannot see past the outer skin on the STV pretty much.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

When properly bolted & braced the frame will be plenty stout enough.. The trouble with welding is heat causes warp and very few companies have access to what BTA does here:

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=36465

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”