Used plasmacam table with no software

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Used plasmacam table with no software

Post by Wiskebound »

So I'm looking at a used plasmacam table that is being sold with no hardware. Table is complete with all cables and such, just no software. Is the table useless? Can software be purchased hashed? Could the table do upgraded to be ran off of other software? Thank you for any feedback.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Used plasmacam table with no software

Post by adbuch »

Is it being sold with no "hardware" as you state (or is that a "typo"?). If the table is complete with no software, then how do you know the controller, motors, etc. are in working order. If the seller has the software but is planning to keep it for "design work", then that is another story. Without a Plasmacam transfer of ownership form signed by the current legal owner and submitted to Plasmacam by you (the new owner) you will not be able to become the legal owner of the table and as such Plasmacam will not sell you any software, hardware, replacement parts, service, etc. The software can not be "hashed".

There is another option to purchase another controller/software package for a cost of around $4,000, and there was a discussion about this on another thread at this forum. I believe is was a candcnc product. Unless you can get this table at a super low cost and are prepared to spend the $4000 plus to get it up and running, I would steer clear and look for a better option for cnc plasma table.

David
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

what does it weigh?

what is the current scrap value for steel?

less transportation and collection costs.

= yellow and blue boat anchor
Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wiskebound »

I did find out a little additional info. It is being sold with the transfer of ownership paperwork, just no computer. (I caught want I wrote after the fact about not having hardware)
I agree that if it's not running, how do you know what your receiving and understand the chances, but if I can get it relatively cheap, I might take the gamble. I also talked with plasmacam and confirmed the information the seller told me so hopefully if the price is right I may go for it. Thanks for the feedback.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Do you know what software it would have had? If Design Edge, which upgrades (if any)? Plasmacam should be able to provide this information. If it was running on the earlier 3.11 software, does the seller have the installation CD? If yes, then you could install the 3.11 software on a windows pc and most likely get it running - assuming the controller and motors are in working order. If it was running on Design Edge and you submit the transfer of ownership form to Plasmacam, then you will be entitled to a copy of Design Edge plus any upgrades associated with that particular license at no cost. If it is still on 3.11, then you would need to upgrade to Design Edge in order to obtain technical support from Plasmacam. Many still run the 3.11 software and are perfectly happy with it.

David
Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wiskebound »

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find out
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Wiskebound wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:53 pm I did find out a little additional info. It is being sold with the transfer of ownership paperwork, just no computer. (I caught want I wrote after the fact about not having hardware)
I agree that if it's not running, how do you know what your receiving and understand the chances, but if I can get it relatively cheap, I might take the gamble. I also talked with plasmacam and confirmed the information the seller told me so hopefully if the price is right I may go for it. Thanks for the feedback.
If it is not a DHC2 table or a Samson 510 table, I would not buy it. If it does not have a VALID DesignEdge software license, I would not pay a lot for it, because it would then be "parts." If you are not willing to invest more money into the table to add the software upgrades a PlasmaCam table requires in order to BE the amazing cnc plasma table they advertise, walk away.

I got a call from a man who wants to convert a 4x4 PlasmaCam into a 4x8 table. This table you claim to have found would probably be a good purchase for him, because it is then fairly easy to merge the two tables together into one.

I'd like to know where this table is, and more details about it, but you are probably afraid of someone buying it out from under you.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wiskebound »

Thanks Joe,
I got a limit set in mind and I am interested.
As for the person that contacted you, what would a "table for parts" be worth, in your opinion, to use for what you describe?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I cannot put a price on tables, but for me personally, a used DHC2 table in GOOD condition, with maybe only the bare bones BASIC software license attached to it might be worth $4,000.00 or so. Maybe a bit more. People tend to believe they should get the price they paid for the table, but try to buy a car for $40,000.00, roll it off of the lot, and then sell it as a "used" car for nearly $40,000.00. The sad truth is, "used" means it is worth less, even though it may well be in brand new condition.

Say you buy a DHC2 table for $13,000 and assemble it at your home. It is brand, spanking new! Never even been plugged in! Something comes up, and you need to sell the table to recover the money you invested. NO ONE is going to give you $13,000 for that table, because they can buy it "new" for that price. They will want to offer you $7,500 or so for that table. That is just how humanity is. I cannot change it.

I am looking for two good, used 4x4 DHC2 tables to do an experiment in bolting them together to make a workable 4x8 table with minimal changes.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wiskebound »

Joe, thanks for all your input. I did end up grabbing that table I spoke about. It is a DHC2 and comes with a powermax 65 and ownership transfer paperwork.
I realize it's a gamble especially as the machine was taken apart prior to my purchase, but the tech school needed to make room for an updated system and after talking with the instructor, he went through the whole history, i'm a little more confident that it's good.?.?
All in ill end up being under $3k and a 2 hour road trip and hopefully not bringing back a yellow and blue anchor..
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

With good ownership transfer you'll be fine at that price for a DHC2. Even if you need to pay for a software upgrade from old software or need additional upgrade options, you will be well below the market value.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Wiskebound wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:47 pm Joe, thanks for all your input. I did end up grabbing that table I spoke about. It is a DHC2 and comes with a powermax 65 and ownership transfer paperwork.
I realize it's a gamble especially as the machine was taken apart prior to my purchase, but the tech school needed to make room for an updated system and after talking with the instructor, he went through the whole history, i'm a little more confident that it's good.?.?
All in ill end up being under $3k and a 2 hour road trip and hopefully not bringing back a yellow and blue anchor..
It is a good deal at that price. If the controller turns out to be dead, or you change your mind, I will offer you what you paid for the table AS IS, or you can keep the HT65 and just sell me the table. We would work out a price. :mrgreen:

Where are you located? I don't mind dropping in on table owners that are nearby. Also, if you need to get up to speed on the spftware, just contact me. I do offer free online DesignEdge training via Zoom.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wiskebound »

Joe,
Fingers crossed all works but if not, or I change my mind, you will be first in line.
As for location, I'm central PA so I don't think I'll be sharing a cold one with you anytime soon.. lol. (But if you want to make the drive, by all means.)
I do want to thank you for your feedback, info and help!
Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wiskebound »

Thanks rdj357.
I didn't think I should pass it up especially for a beginner table.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Wiskebound wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:25 pm Joe,
Fingers crossed all works but if not, or I change my mind, you will be first in line.
I'll drive up with cash in hand :Yay
As for location, I'm central PA so I don't think I'll be sharing a cold one with you anytime soon.. lol. (But if you want to make the drive, by all means.)
I do want to thank you for your feedback, info and help!
My "cold ones" are Dr. Peppers! I don't drink alcohol. Nothing religious. I just never saw the need to start.

Central PA. :roll: About 675 miles away. Nice day's drive, or two :Wow

Good thing you have Internet access. We can connect via ZOOM, and I can help you get up to speed on DesignEdge if you need the help.

What are you planning to make with the table? Flat metal art, braces and brackets, or are you wanting to do tube cutting, and other things?

Tell me what your DesignEdge license has now, with regard to upgrades. Do you have "The Big Three"? Advanced Design, Advanced Height Control and Advanced Machine Control? If you have those, you are already into a great machine.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wiskebound »

Joe, Dr. P is fine with me as that's also the typical "cold one" for me . As for my intentions: I'm not sure just yet. Hoping to maybe pick up a few odd jobs with the company I work for (we often need small gussets, shim plates, fixtures, etc. and sub it out to various fab shops. My kid also has interest, he's into the quads and such and watches what the new trends are for skid plates and whatever else is trending. Then I have the wife, who can be fairly crafty, that has made the "could we cut these, or that out" comments when I talked about getting one awhile back. So once it's set up and figured out, I think we can all put it to some good use..?
Realistically, working full time, typically 10-12 hours a day with my travels, I probably won't be looking to start anything major, but just moreso play around for now. (I just think they are a neat little piece)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I am available to help you get up to speed on the software.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Where are you now, on the progress with the table?

I found a nice 4x4 table in Florida for $7,500.00. It is barely used, and comes with the engraver, the PlasmaCam router adapter :-? , a HT45XP with a hand torch, and the DesignEdge license with the Big Three upgrades. I won't even try to talk him down. I am just trying to find an extra $7,500.00 lying around :-? I may run down there in the next couple of days with cash in hand. I am trying to coordinate several projects, some of which I must be at home to manage.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”