Thermal Dynamics iCNC XT211 iHC External Stop Error

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
maxcolts18
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thermal Dynamics iCNC XT211 iHC External Stop Error

Post by maxcolts18 »

I recently purchased this machine from a local company, and it worked great until I went to cut a part one day... The head drops down to the plate before piercing, and then immediately retracts. The error message "iHC External Stop" displays on the screen, and then says that the iHC is restarting. Nothing happens, and I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I disabled the iHC external stop to understand if there was something else happening, and then I received an arc error (cannot remember what it was, but I can reenact if needed).

I am hoping that someone has had a similar experience, and can help me out!

Thanks in advance!
maxcolts18
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics iCNC XT211 iHC External Stop Error

Post by maxcolts18 »

More context... I disabled the External Stop, and the error I recieved was No InBit 4. Main Arc Sense.. I can't even get the plasma to arc in manual mode. Anybody know whats up??
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

maxcolts18 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:52 pm The head drops down to the plate before piercing, and then immediately retracts.
When the head drops down to the plate, does the head come into contact with the plate before retracting?
maxcolts18
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by maxcolts18 »

No, I don’t believe so. I have had some very interesting movements out of the lifter when running an iHC test. I’ve even had it crash into the plate, as it seems that it doesn’t sense the plate. After a complete reset, it senses the plate, and responds normally. Typically, my process is to run an iHC test, which contacts the plate, and then retracts to about .25” above the plate. I’ll then press the start button, and the machine moves to the piercing location, then the lifter moves up, and I receive the error “iHC external stop”, followed by “iHC restarting”. I’m not sure why the external stop is being triggered. That’s when I disabled the external stop in the iCNC setup, and receive the no main arc sense. I thought maybe it could be a ground, but I have ohmed out all grounds, and they seem to be fine.

That was a fairly long reply for your question, but I figured I would give as much context as possible lol.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Long explanations are always good for others in the future with same or similar issues. Sounds like your solution was a compete reset, that's great and thanks for posting your solution.
maxcolts18
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by maxcolts18 »

Sorry, I may have made that confusing. I have not fixed it.

When I say I do a reset, the "iHC Test" works properly, but when I begin a program it goes through the same issues that I mentioned above.

I read on another thread that it could be the cables, but I don't think that is the problem...

Let me know if you have any other questions!
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Does your system use ohmic sensing or does it trip a limit switch when the torch contacts the plate?
maxcolts18
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by maxcolts18 »

It has ohmic sensing. I have tried to shut it off to just use the plate force, and the errors are still present.

I am not super familiar with these systems, but is it normal to run an iHC test with the ohmic sensing on, and the torch to lift off the lifter? I would think that once the contact is made, it would complete the circuit and not keep driving further.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That is not normal, definitely sounds as though your controller is not getting a signal from the ohmic clip. Is there a diagnostic window you can view that will show the inputs? If so you it would be interesting to touch the ohmic clip to the material and see if the indicator lights up in the diagnostic window.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”