Pricing, Gathering needed items & discussing my 1st table build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Pricing, Gathering needed items & discussing my 1st table build

Post by N2 Welding »

Ok so I have been wanting a table for a while now and am slowly getting all the different pieces of the puzzle little by little. Things I currently have on hand and associated costs so I can keep a running tab of the cost to build vs the cost to buy a new prebuilt machine. I will be editing this post as I purchase items needed to the running lists seen below. I will be adding up all the associated costs and adjust the Total build costs to date.

Hardware on hand:

Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 60i. $1094.39
TD CNC Machine Port add on Automation Board kit 9-8308. $188.04
TD 180 deg. Machine Torch 25’ SL100SV. $673.22
Z access THC RATTMMOTOR HBX1605 200mm motor and carrier. $115.26
Karvcut Z access magnetic break away float head attachment. $360.29
120’ of 2.5” x 2.5” x 1/4” wall tubing to build the table base. $410.00
TD Ohmic Clip 9-8224 $44.96
Aluminum Gantry Rail Materials ( Framing Tech 80x120-08 x72" long ) $174.44
Derale 15300 Tube and Fin Cooler Core,Black $98.09
Derale 13001 Plastic Rod Mounting Kit, Silver $10.36

Total Cost to Date: $3174.05
$1406.44 less the TD 60i and 25' SL100SV Machine torch.

All prices listed above are after taxes, rebates/discounts & shipping.

Needed items:

TD THERMAL DYNAMICS 25' CNC CABLE ASSEMBLY (9-1008) $115.00
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... bly-9-1008

Caster Wheels
Water Tray
Stepper Motors and controllers
Software suite
Pinion racks and gears or alternative solution.
Gantry Roller sliding system ( Hiwin railing, Skate roller bearing cages, other suggestion??? )
Air drying system
Plastic Cable/wire/hose Drag Chain Carriers

I have a couple of different threads on various web-sights with needed information I have gathered and will link these pages and info below.

Required Literature and Discussions:

TD 60i Automation kit 9-8308 https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7156 ... n-concerns
Z access THC RATTMMOTOR HBX1605 200mm motor and carrier viewtopic.php?f=103&t=35027
Last edited by N2 Welding on Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 27 times in total.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pricing, Gathering needed items & discussing my 1st table build

Post by acourtjester »

Not knowing how hard you will be using the able, you may look at the Langmuir table with the plasma unit they use. You will save over the cost of a TD combo, they sell the Razorweld 45 with machine torch for about 1200. But you will learn a whole lot building your own and end up with a larger table.
https://www.langmuirsystems.com/pro
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Yeah I got the TD 60i on sale from Amazon back in 2018 for about $1100 after an amazon discount and ESAB rebate. Prices on the newer China plasma cutters has made entry fee way more friendly for those on a shoe string budget like myself. This is one of the reasons it will take me a while to get it built and I’m not exactly able to physically run full speed ahead anymore so I’m in no hurry but at the same time the sooner the better ;)

Yes building my self is what I would consider the best way to learn or crash and burn lol. I’m aiming for being able to cut full 4’x8’ sheets/plates. That will require a completely separate lifting hoist. Not sure if that will be built into the table or separate stand alone unit. I have a cherry picker but that won’t cut the mustard with big heavy plates.

I still have not narrowed down several areas of the build like roller slide/guide system, drivers and control boards, software, sourced gantry materials. This is where the discussion comes into play :)
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

N2 Welding wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:35 pm I’m aiming for being able to cut full 4’x8’ sheets/plates. That will require a completely separate lifting hoist. Not sure if that will be built into the table or separate stand alone unit. I have a cherry picker but that won’t cut the mustard with big heavy plates.
Not sure how thick your planning on cutting., but we use a cherry picker to handle full sheets of 3/8 & 1/2 steel.
https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... 75#p180911
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I’d like to be able to load at least 3/8” to 1/2”. Under an 8’ ceiling in my garage.

Edit: Just purchased the TD Ohmic Clip 9-8224 for $44.96 on ebay.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There is a video of a guy the modified a "Cherry Picker" to handle bigger sheets I will see if I can locate it. He relocated the casters and extended the legs. Going slow and shopping around you can save money are build a table you will be happy with, I have built 10 and sold 8. Your labor is free to you and that helps with saving and learning. Many DIY types here so there is help when you want it.
here it is
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Thank you Tom. That is a pretty well modified picker. He did not show lifting a full 4’x8’ sheet.
kn612
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kn612 »

Curious what you come up with for a gantry design.

Saw your post about asking if myplasm supports rotary. Check out this guy's YouTube: https://youtube.com/@robbroomfield468?s ... KoQjlkuuug

His table seems well thought out and built, maybe it can give you some inspiration on yours
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I don’t actually have any solid plans etched in stone as of this moment.

For the gantry I have some aluminum flatbar for end caps and was thinking of trying to find some aluminum tubing like 3”x5” etc and cap it on the ends and weld the ends on the tub using a spoolgun on the ESAB Rebel EMP 215ic

EDIT: Ironic enough as it is with you suggesting Rob’s YouTube channel, YouTube itself started suggesting his videos a few days ago. His tubing cutter looks decent. I saw the video where he corrected the wobble on his Z access and another on the gear reduction gear boxes he uses at 10:1 that bolt right onto the end of his stepper motors.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Ok so This is some material I was gifted from a local machine shop right after I got the lathe. Thank you Victor and Family :)

it is Aluminum bar / plate and I believe I have enough to make the end caps and Z mounting plates.

2 of these are 1/2" thick by about 16.5" long and 6" wide.

The other 2 are about 22.5" long 4" wide and 3/4" thick. I may try to trim 1/4" off of these plates so they are not so heavy using a vertival band saw. The trimmed side would be where the bolts are fastened to while the flat oem side will be square and used for butting up to other plates. This is all pure speculation at this point, no guarantees I won't fubar this plate when trimming it down.

So long as I plan it out properly and make no mistakes, this material should be quite capable of making the Y access side plates, Z access motor mount and THC mount.

Pics:
20231105_144751.jpg
20231105_144736.jpg
20231105_144723.jpg
20231105_144713.jpg
20231105_144645.jpg
20231105_144637.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I was just looking online at a couple places for some Aluminum tubing for the gantry cross slide structure.

I’m wandering if 1/8” wall tubing would hold up or not be too flexible. I have an idea 1/4” wall tubing would be best but it will no doubt add more weight to the gantry. Biggest plus of 1/4” wall tubing is having enough meat on the bones to drill and tap for hardware mounting.

Here is the best priceI was able to find on a price of a 6’ section of aluminum.
41208279-A25F-4CD2-A77A-B313304D0CB7.png

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I am confident that .125" wall tubing would be suitable unless your torch lifter is extremely heavy. Is the gantry going to be 6 feet wide?
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Not sure on the width yet but iirc the next size down was like 4’ long which is not long enough.

I’m thinking about 4’.8” wide by about 9’ long or there about. I’d like to be able to easily lay a 4’x8’ sheet on the table.

The water table should be able to be made out of 5’x9’ with 4” to 5” tall walls. Have not worked out all the details yet.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Does aluminum warp or twist like mild steel etc when heated from welding?
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

N2 Welding wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:51 pm Not sure on the width yet but iirc the next size down was like 4’ long which is not long enough.

I’m thinking about 4’.8” wide by about 9’ long or there about. I’d like to be able to easily lay a 4’x8’ sheet on the table.

The water table should be able to be made out of 5’x9’ with 4” to 5” tall walls. Have not worked out all the details yet.
Get some pizza on order and get on those CAD drawings...
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

At that width you will be fine with the .125" wall, I have done a couple gantries using .125" wall 6061 tube and has always worked out well.

Aluminum will warp like steel when welding. Eliminate welds where possible and when you have to weld try to heat as even as possible by moving around and not ripping off big bead in one spot at once.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:57 pm Get some pizza on order and get on those CAD drawings...

Not even sure what CAD I should use. I don’t want to pay fees or start using software that has annual or other renewal fees.
weldguy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:11 pm At that width you will be fine with the .125" wall, I have done a couple gantries using .125" wall 6061 tube and has always worked out well.

Aluminum will warp like steel when welding. Eliminate welds where possible and when you have to weld try to heat as even as possible by moving around and not ripping off big bead in one spot at once.
How good is .125 for holding threads for when I start drilling and tapping to attach all the end caps and associated hardware?

Warping is my main concern with welding on .125

I have the spoolgun for welding so not exactly a precision type of weld.

In theory at least with .250 should be able to have a couple of threads to bite into with fine thread bolts.

Also not sure if I’m going to make bearing carriers with flat skate bearings rolling on the surface of the gantry cross tube or use bolt on rail slides. Will using skate bearings directly on aluminum .125 cause issues and wear out where as .250 would have more material to support it in case of wear? Or is rolling skate bearings on aluminum a bad idea all together regardless of wall thickness?
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Welp over on this post you were using (Cardboard Aided Design) Pizza Edition

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=75
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Yeah I can always sharpen the pencil lol :p

Hoping to find software I can either buy once and cry once or better yet get for free that I don't have to worry about someone else getting my plans once I've spent numberous hours over birthing and growing into mature files ;) That goes for all the file I create that I wish to keep in house ;)
Last edited by N2 Welding on Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kn612

Post by kn612 »

If your looking for 3d cad try solid edge community or student edition. It's far easier to learn than freecad, and has a pretty good 2d cad interface too.

https://resources.sw.siemens.com/en-US/ ... ty-edition

If you only need 2d cad Qcad or librecad are my recommendations. Both are free.

Inkscape is free too and great for signs and artwork
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

TY :)
See now thats just it. If I'm making simple flat brackets or signs/art then inkscape would do but if and once I hop into making bumpers etc then I'd need 3d Cad potentially with lazer image scanning with dimentional import abilty. I know enough to know that I don't know enough :p
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

I hear ya, I started with Fusion 360, learned it, absolutely loved it, then it wasn't free for me any longer. Now I think it costs me around $700 a year...BUT I CAN'T GIVE IT UP! They got me :Sad
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Here is my free Pizza CAD box drafting mentioned previously :p. What can I say, I've been drinking and I'm Hangry :/
20231106_213412.jpg

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

:HaHa :HaHa :HaHa
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Am thinking this T slot railing looks good for the price. Shipping is $65.00

This 80x120 is on clearance. https://www.framingtech.com/products/me ... 0-x-120-08#

Last edited by N2 Welding on Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”