CNC Ballscrew router conversion build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
RedBarnGarage
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

CNC Ballscrew router conversion build

Post by RedBarnGarage »

I've been playing with metal more than wood lately, so I figured I'd give plasma cutting a shot! I've never done it before, so this is all a new learning experience for me.

I'm looking to convert my current 1000mm X 1000mm Ball screw and linear rail router cnc, to a plasma table. My plan is to mount it on a steel frame with a water table. I have purchased a "Lotos Supreme LTP5500DCNC Non-Touch Pilot Arc CNC Enabled Digital Plasma Cutter with THC Torch Height Control Enabled"

My question is, about the THC "enabled" on the machine. Does this still require me to have a THC Controller as a separate unit? How does this "CNC enabled" plasma cutter differ from any other machine?

I will likely be using LinuxCNC if thats any help ..
Any guidance for the new guy is greatly appreciated!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CNC Ballscrew router conversion build

Post by weldguy »

Sounds like a fun project. Yes, you will need a THC controller for THC to operate your z axis. Not familiar with that plasma but cnc enabled likely means it has external wiring locations build into it for starting and stopping the plasma, arc voltage output, etc eliminating you from having to open the machine to make the connections manually. Keep us up to date with your progress.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

There are some things to consider, you say you are looking at LinuxCNC as a controller software. Will your current controller (electronics board) work with LinuxCNC. If so that is great, now how many inputs and output pins can be used with it. The setup I am using with LinuxCNC is a Mesa card with another Mesa card (THCAD-10) which can a be configured to work as a THC for Plasma use. This setup I use QTPlasmaC software with LinuxCNC, So I cannot say if other controller will work the same with QTPlasmaC or other LinuxCNC GUIs. Or have the need to have an external THC unit. A different path is the Myplas electronic and software which has its own THC optional setup.
Now with the Ball screw drive some have said they will not operate at the speeds needed for Plasma thin metal cutting.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
joshua221
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by joshua221 »

Everything weldguy said, and also non CNC torches use high frequency to start the arc which may interfere with the electronics. CNC torches use what they call blow back start instead which uses air. The Lotus CNC machines do have blow back start.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”