Fillet Corners of Triangle using Path Effects tool

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Fillet Corners of Triangle using Path Effects tool

Post by adbuch »

This is in response to a fellow member asking for help adding outside fillets to a triangle.
First draw the triangle, then "Path, Path Effects", select the triangle, and choose "Corners (Fillet/Chamfer). If you want the corner fillets to all be the same size, then uncheck the box for "Use knots distance instead of radius". Click on Fillet button, then click + on the Radius button to select the size radius. The radii will change on your triangle as you click this button. For Unit (in) selection, the units of the actual radii will be in mm.

Or - enter your desired radius value, then click on the Fillet button once and your corner radii will appear.

David
radius.jpg
fillet 3.jpg
radius 1.jpg
Last edited by adbuch on Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
acourtjester

Re: Fillet Corners of Triangle using Path Effects tool

Post by acourtjester »

Good stuff as usual thanks David
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Thanks David,
I have found when making radius to a part the height and width will change a little bit(usually smaller). To get it back to where you want it without changing the shape of the radius I use Object==>Transform method. The menu pops to the right. Choose inches, scale and then put your original size in the boxes and press apply. I find sometimes it does not change the size to what I type in the box. I.E. I will put 3.000 in the box and it will change it to 2.999. I click apply a couple of times and it will change it to the correct size. Must be a nuance. I use this feature too when I need to change the size of a hole in a grouped part. The hole stays where you originally put it when using Object===> Transform Method. If you were to click on the circle and change the size without the transform method, the location of the hole/circle changes a little bit.
T.J.
triangle1.jpg
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

That's cool, I wish there was an option for that in Corel Draw, it is easy to do with squares and rectangles but can't find a way to do it with anything else.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

Thanks David , have not used path effects yet . Will check it out!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:41 am Thanks David,
I have found when making radius to a part the height and width will change a little bit(usually smaller). To get it back to where you want it without changing the shape of the radius I use Object==>Transform method. The menu pops to the right. Choose inches, scale and then put your original size in the boxes and press apply. I find sometimes it does not change the size to what I type in the box. I.E. I will put 3.000 in the box and it will change it to 2.999. I click apply a couple of times and it will change it to the correct size. Must be a nuance. I use this feature too when I need to change the size of a hole in a grouped part. The hole stays where you originally put it when using Object===> Transform Method. If you were to click on the circle and change the size without the transform method, the location of the hole/circle changes a little bit.
T.J.

triangle1.jpg
TJ - thanks for that tip! I will have to check it out. By the way, the Path Effects, Fillet tool works for me in either mode - "Edit paths by nodes" or just selecting the part with the selection tool ("Select and transform objects") .

David
fillet 4.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:13 am That's cool, I wish there was an option for that in Corel Draw, it is easy to do with squares and rectangles but can't find a way to do it with anything else.
Plasmanewbie - I don't use CorelDraw that much but I will have to check it out to see if I can figure out how to do it with objects which are not squares or rectangles. Thanks!

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dirtmotor wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:02 pm Thanks David , have not used path effects yet . Will check it out!
Dirtmotor - you are quite welcome! There's much fun to be had just playing around with these programs and trying different things. I generally use the "trial and error" method as opposed to reading the directions.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:13 am That's cool, I wish there was an option for that in Corel Draw, it is easy to do with squares and rectangles but can't find a way to do it with anything else.
Plasmanewbie, I assume you were referring to using the fillet tool on shapes other than squares and rectangles.

David
triangle 1.jpg
triangle 2.jpg
triangle 3.jpg
triangle 4.jpg
triangle 5.jpg
triangle 6.jpg
triangle 7.jpg
triangle 8.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I had to look it up in order to figure out how to do it. I think it's just as easy as with Inkscape.

David

help 1.jpg
http://product.corel.com/help/CorelDRAW ... W-2020.pdf
help 2.jpg
triangle 9.jpg
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

NO WAY! I had no idea that existed David. I am not kidding, I have been using a convoluted and time consuming technique to fillet corners for well over a decade. Thank you very much for digging into this for me, I never looked in the Window drop down menu for this :Like :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:55 pm NO WAY! I had no idea that existed David. I am not kidding, I have been using a convoluted and time consuming technique to fillet corners for well over a decade. Thank you very much for digging into this for me, I never looked in the Window drop down menu for this :Like :Like
Your are quite welcome! I usually try to figure it out on my own (trial and error method), but if all else fails - I do sometimes resort to reading the "directions". In this case, I did a google search. I came up with this:
fillet 1.jpg
I kept looking under "Window" for "Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer" and got frustrated because I couldn't find it.
Then I clicked on the link under those directions which took me to the CorelDraw Help section.
fillet 2.jpg
Still no luck. As I last resort I opened my CorelDraw2020 and clicked on "Help, User's Guide" and searched for the section on fillets. And sure enough, it is different for my CorelDraw version.
fillet 3.jpg
But now that we know how to do it, this will save much time and potential frustration. I don't normally use CorelDraw (or even Inkscape) for this sort of thing as I would be drawing parts like that with Design Edge or maybe Bricscad (Autocad clone). But it's always fun (at least for me) to try to figure out new methods to do things like this.

David
TJS

Post by TJS »

That is really cool David. We all thank you for such great help to this community. I know you have eased my frustration levels.
T.J.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:27 am That is really cool David. We all thank you for such great help to this community. I know you have eased my frustration levels.
T.J.
Thanks TJ! It is my pleasure to try to help out with these sorts of things - and I most always learn a few things in the process.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

Thanks for the video link acourtjester ! Really helpful , And I need all the help I can get .
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Just returning the favor I have received lots of help from the members too.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - that's a nice short video that gets right to the point! Thanks for posting it. It's simply amazing how much great information you can find on the internet these days.

David

Return to “Inkscape”