Problem with double cut paths

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Problem with double cut paths

Post by adbuch »

Tom - you mentioned that some have problems with double cut paths showing up.
acourtjester wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:49 pm I know some have posted their G-code tries to cut the same thing twice.

Here is an example with a rectangle having a stroke width of 0.004", and then duplicated. "Stroke to Path" has been applied to the duplicate rectangle.

Both look pretty much the same to the "naked eye", and you would have to switch from Normal View to Outline View and really zoom in to see the duplicate offset path for the second rectangle. I can see where someone might unwittingly apply the "Stroke to Path" operation and not realize the actual consequence. Then after saving the file and importing to Sheetcam they have a "double cut path" and can't figure out why.

two rectangles 1.jpg
two rectangles 2.jpg
two rectangles 3.jpg
two rectangles 4.jpg
two rectangles 5.jpg

The solution here is to go back to the original Inkscape file and delete the offset copy produced by the "Stroke to Path" tool.

David
two rectangles 6.jpg
two rectangles 7.jpg
two rectangles 8.jpg
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Problem with double cut paths

Post by plasmanewbie »

That is a good an interesting find David. I am more of a Corel user and i can set my line width (stroke in Inkscape) as wide as I want and the exported dxf ignores the width and exports the design on the center line still. In order to accomplish what Inkscape is doing I have to use the "Convert outline to obeject" command. Does Inkscape give you a way to set the line width for visual on the screen but only export on center line?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:17 am That is a good an interesting find David. I am more of a Corel user and i can set my line width (stroke in Inkscape) as wide as I want and the exported dxf ignores the width and exports the design on the center line still.
Same for Inkscape - the stroke width (unless the "Stroke to Path" tool is implemented) is for visual effect only, and the exported dxf/svg ignores the stroke width and saves/exports the design using the center line, or what would be seen in Outline View as opposed to Normal View.
plasmanewbie wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:17 am In order to accomplish what Inkscape is doing I have to use the "Convert outline to obeject" command. Does Inkscape give you a way to set the line width for visual on the screen but only export on center line?
Inkscape only exports "on center line". A true vector is defined as having both magnitude and direction, but has no "width". If the Inksape "Stroke to Path" tool is applied to a particular path, then the result is that the original path is duplicated and offset by the stroke width setting. So now you would have two separate paths. Stoke widths can be applied to these paths, but would be for visual effect only and the two paths would export "on center line".

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Plasmanewbie - here is an example showing how the Inkscape "Stroke to Path" tool might be used under normal circumstances. I expect that CorelDraw may have a similar tool, but I am not that familiar with CorelDraw that I know what it might be. Perhaps you could show us.
Thanks,
David
example 1.jpg
example 2.jpg
example 3.jpg
example 4.jpg
example 5.jpg
example 6.jpg
example 7.jpg
example 8.jpg
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

This is my first time doing screen shots and clearly you are much better at it than I but this is how I would accomplish the same thing in Corel. My next run at screenshots will be better now that I have done this round.
Corel1.png
Corel2.png
Corel3.png
Corel4.png
Corel5.png
Corel6.png
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:17 am This is my first time doing screen shots and clearly you are much better at it than I but this is how I would accomplish the same thing in Corel. My next run at screenshots will be better now that I have done this round.

Corel1.pngCorel2.pngCorel3.pngCorel4.pngCorel5.pngCorel6.png
Thanks Plasmanewbie! I will take a look at this later this evening and see if I can follow along with your instructions. Great screen shots!!

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Plasmanewbie - thanks for the tutorial! I followed your instructions and it worked great.

David
CorelDraw vs Inkscape.jpg
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Awesome David, glad my instructions made sense and worked. So what do you prefer overall, Corel or Inkscape?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:02 am Awesome David, glad my instructions made sense and worked. So what do you prefer overall, Corel or Inkscape?
I am not all that familiar with CorelDraw at this point, so Inkscape is my "go to" for this sort of stuff - unless I am using Design Edge. Many of my "artistic" drawing projects are a combination of Inkscape/Design Edge. But it's always fun to learn new programs, and I have been slowly plugging away with CorelDraw.

David

Return to “Inkscape”