plasmcan blown 5A fuse

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
PatA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: plasmcan blown 5A fuse

Post by PatA »

i will try that joe, any suggestion for better video card?
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

PatA wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:01 pm i will try that joe, any suggestion for better video card?
I am not up to date on the latest and greatest.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

PatA wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:27 pm ... how do you test limit switches in diagnostic? manual activate them and what should i see?
r1.jpg
r2.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

PatA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PatA »

adbuch nothing is showing?
i tested limit switches, both are registering back to plasmacam software
noticed both ends of table don't touch at same time on y axis therefore limit is not getting triggered,
also will work on x axis to get to more freely and less inconsistently.
has anyone ever seen motor to cause it to be cause of resistance to move freely ?
would i loosen up table to get it squared up or is there adjustments that im missing? to get y axis to touch at same time
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The gantry drive shaft has a gear at each end. Those gears run beneath gear racks installed into the tops of the rails, inside. The springs hold the drive shaft UP and engage the gears into the gear racks.

Pull the gantry to the HOME end of the table. Now press down on the HOME end of the gantry, which will pull the gear down and out of the gear rack on that side. Pull the gantry to the end of the table so both ends touch simultaneously, and then release the downward pressure on the gantry tube. The gear will re-engage the gear rack and the gantry will be aligned with the table legs.

You can also accomplish this by using a long flat blade screwdriver or other tool to press down on the small spring loaded lever arm that is to the left of the carriage and down low. Pushing this lever down against the spring will disengage the gantry shaft gear from the gear rack in the rail, and you will be able to change the angle of the gantry in relation to the end of the table, to make it parallel.

Joe

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

PatA wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:43 am adbuch nothing is showing?
i tested limit switches, both are registering back to plasmacam software
noticed both ends of table don't touch at same time on y axis therefore limit is not getting triggered,
also will work on x axis to get to more freely and less inconsistently.
has anyone ever seen motor to cause it to be cause of resistance to move freely ?
would i loosen up table to get it squared up or is there adjustments that im missing? to get y axis to touch at same time
Pat - both ends of the table need to touch at the same time (left and right ends of gantry). Either your table is out of square or you are off a tooth on one end of the gantry. You can measure diagonally across the table to check for squareness.

Have you ordered the Video Manual yet? Plasmacam is usually pretty quick about getting things shipped out, particularly the cd's.

As far as the motors, you should test them to make sure they are not damaged following the procedure below.

David
check motor windings.jpg
check motor windings 1.jpg

PatA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PatA »

thx joe i will try that
also thx david you guys are great !!!!
david i have not cause shipping to canada is crazy , im going to get it shipped to detroit , was hoping to figure out everything and get all parts ordered on one shipping cost , your pics wont load they only say
" David
check motor windings.jpg
check motor windings 1.jpg " ?

am i doing something wrong?
thanks again
pat
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

rdj357 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:54 am Here is fine - just not both for my poor brain to separate please haha

May need a different monitor and/or keyboard that can cause the crazy things.

Make sure gantry and carriage move freely and that the gantry is square to the rails so that the stops at each end touch at the same time. Check the limit switches in diagnostics
Pat,

As I posted here - the stops must touch at the same time or, as you noticed, it cannot depress the gantry limit switch. Like Joe and David have said - make sure the table is square corner to corner and then jump the gantry a tooth on the end opposite the motor until it is aligned and both stops touch at exactly the same time.

A couple rules of troubleshooting - Simple stuff first. Change one thing at a time.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

One more thing ... Use a length of steel rod, or a ruler, or whatever ... Slide it into the end of the rails and against the gear racks themselves. MEASURE the distance from the end of the gear racks to the edges of the rails. These two dimensions must be the SAME. If one gear rack is shifted slightly forward, it will be very difficult to square the table.

This of course ASSUMES that the gears at each end of the gantry shaft are aligned properly. If the gears are not in sync, then that is another issue.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

PatA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PatA »

thx guys i will try this soon , im away for work this weekend so it will be monday or tuesday i get to it thank you
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

PatA wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:58 am your pics wont load they only say
" David
check motor windings.jpg
check motor windings 1.jpg " ?

am i doing something wrong?
thanks again
pat
Pat - I would recommend upgrading your membership to Contributing Member status so that you can take advantage of all the features of the site. The cost is only $20 and the wealth of knowledge you have access to, photos, file downloads, etc. is well worth the minimal cost.

David
PatA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PatA »

Ok I will. Still new to this and wasn’t surw what it all was about Thx
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

PatA wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:58 pm Ok I will. Still new to this and wasn’t surw what it all was about Thx
Pat - here is the link for membership.
David

https://www.plasmaspider.com/memberupgrade.php
PatA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PatA »

Thx David. I just updated and picked collection #1
Can’t wait to get cutting! 😁
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Pat - you are quite welcome! Let us know if you have more questions - we are here to help. Now that you can see the photos we posted, this should give you a much better idea of how to proceed.

David
PatA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PatA »

Little update. Table initialized and I can now control it. Figured out monitor rebooting when table moving. Was bad monitor
I ordered video manual. Hasn’t came in yet
New question
Got a noise when adjusting torch height.
Smooth going up but has ratcheting noise going down ?
Do I grease the threaded rod? How does black cap over threaded rod come off?
Tried to post video of it but won’t let me
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Pat - is it making the noise when initializing only or at other times as well? It will normally be noisy when initializing as the stepper motor stalls at the top of its travel. When adjusting the torch height, are you using the jog up/down buttons or rotating the control knob for fine adjustment? I have never yet had the need to service the Z motors on my tables, and I really don't know how the black cap comes off. But I do know that it does, since rail riser kit supplied by John Derby includes a longer threaded rod as well and the instructions explain how to remove and replace the black cap. Check to make sure the retaining nut at the lower end of the threaded rod is tight. If you power it down, and then move the torch holder up and down, do you feel any roughness while moving? Also make sure you have your Z-axis Motion Force When Moving set to 36 lbs.

If this is happening only when you are using the fine adjustment knob, then the encoder may be dirty. Here are some tips from Robert Johnson.
z encoder problems.jpg
As Robert mentions, lowering your Z rapid travel setting may make it less jerky.

As far as uploading a video, you would need to upload your video the Youtube, Google Drive, etc. and then post a link to the URL here.

David

From Video Manual
Check Z-axis movement.pdf

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”