European add-on rotary for plasma?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Reb0rn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

European add-on rotary for plasma?

Post by Reb0rn »

are there any european add-on rotaries for on my plasma table? or is that to specifc?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: European add-on rotary for plasma?

Post by adbuch »

What kind of table do you have? You probably need to be more specific.
David
Reb0rn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Reb0rn »

a small dutch table, nothing special.

not looking to make my own rotary, so was wondering if there was something like plug and play:p
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

If it's a stepper motor controlled machine pretty much all the stepper driven rotary's work.
If you lack an extra driver simply swap it with the X or Y axis stepper and set the correct mm/step and you are in business.
Antother option would be use an existing free driver or add a driver.
For servos motors it's not as straight forward because you need the specific servo.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If you are planning to set this up as a tubing or pipe cutter, then you will need to adjust your turns ratio for each different diameter tube you will be cutting into. I've got the Plasmacam rotary tube cutter, and the Design Edge software does this automatically - I just need to input the OD of the tube.
David
Stand-Alone PlasmaCAM Tubing Cutter 4.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Super slick setup David! Looks like it does a great job :Like :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:28 am Super slick setup David! Looks like it does a great job :Like :Like
Thanks Plasmanewbie! It has come in pretty handy for some of my projects. In the video I was cutting parts for some Christmas candle holders. I made the wood bases using my cnc wood router.

David
20191224_024916_resized_1.jpg

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Wow David, those look awesome. So professional with the routed wooden bases :Like :Like
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I would think when cutting a round tube you wouldn't need to reference the z on every cut. I wouldn't think you would have much problem with warpage. Would speed up the cut significantly.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:49 am I would think when cutting a round tube you wouldn't need to reference the z on every cut. I wouldn't think you would have much problem with warpage. Would speed up the cut significantly.
I run with thc on my tube cutter. I have the choice for settings as shown in the screen shot below. If the tubing is perfectly round and running true, then you are correct that setting to "From previous location/cut height" will save a little time. But I am generally in no hurry, and normally use the ohmic sensing and select the option to "Sense material to zero".

David
dhc.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:07 am Wow David, those look awesome. So professional with the routed wooden bases :Like :Like
Thanks! The girls all seemed to like them when I gave them out for some Christmas gifts a few years ago. The base is actually made from two separate pieces. The outer base you can see, and another piece inside to locate the candle. It all fits together snugly with the actual metal part sandwiched between the outer and inner bases. I'll see if I can find a photo of the separate pieces to post.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

20191224_025201_resized - Copy.jpg
20191224_025206_resized - Copy.jpg
20191224_025213_resized - Copy.jpg
20191224_030535 - Copy.jpg

Reb0rn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Reb0rn »

comming back at this topic. I keep thinking about this. Now i think i will make a separate tube notcher with its own y-axis and rotary. I want to use my plasma table's control box, so i just switch the axis from the table with the notcher's.

The build will be allright. I will just rebuild my current y-asis and use a clawchuck attached to a steppermotor with a 1-10x gearbox in between. i would like to cut max 150-200mm, and i will use alu extrusion/liniar rail of 2m long, zo the max length of the pipe is also like 2m. (any advice on how many nm?)

The thing that holds me back at the moment is the drawing of the notches...

fun things like adbuch's candles can be dont like normal, only set up the correct mm/step. but i can make an easy list for that, and use a different mach3 for it so my table doesnt change.

so for short:

any good software for making the notches? i would like to cut a tube with at least 1 front and 1 end notch, maybe even some extra in the middle. my preference goes to free/cheap software, so not like inventor, solid workts etc. (free fusion 360 seems it cant export dxf... tried it with "cutting the pipe open" and made a flat pattern)

Ive seen some software for rotary from sheetcam, but cant find that much information about it...
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

Reb0rn wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:44 am (free fusion 360 seems it cant export dxf... tried it with "cutting the pipe open" and made a flat pattern)
Yes you can export a dxf with free fusion.
1. Create flat pattern.
2. Create a plane above the flat pattern (0.1mm would be enough but I always do around 10mm)
3. Create sketch on that new plane.
4. Press P for project and project the flat pattern onto the the new sketch (use the lines and not the body option, keep poly lines unchecked)
5. Save the sketch, right click it in the component browser and click export as DXF.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I did the switching of the motor cable (at the controller) from the Y table motor to the rotary motor on my tubing cutter. Mine was a simple design but worked fine.
I just converted the drawing to fit the diameter of the tube and changed the steps per in mach to fit the diameter too. I used a pen plotter in place of the torch for proof of concept first. I don't see a big difference between round and square tube cutting from a flat drawing except you will need a THC. :Wow
pen test (2).JPG
first cuts (2).JPG
pen to paper test on rotary cutter (1).JPG

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Reb0rn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Reb0rn »

Plasma-art wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:02 am
Reb0rn wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:44 am (free fusion 360 seems it cant export dxf... tried it with "cutting the pipe open" and made a flat pattern)
Yes you can export a dxf with free fusion.
1. Create flat pattern.
2. Create a plane above the flat pattern (0.1mm would be enough but I always do around 10mm)
3. Create sketch on that new plane.
4. Press P for project and project the flat pattern onto the the new sketch (use the lines and not the body option, keep poly lines unchecked)
5. Save the sketch, right click it in the component browser and click export as DXF.
It just worked for me. tried it many times, and always got the lines that go in the direction of the pipe. So that problem is solved.
Reb0rn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Reb0rn »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:59 am I did the switching of the motor cable (at the controller) from the Y table motor to the rotary motor on my tubing cutter. Mine was a simple design but worked fine.
I just converted the drawing to fit the diameter of the tube and changed the steps per in mach to fit the diameter too. I used a pen plotter in place of the torch for proof of concept first. I don't see a big difference between round and square tube cutting from a flat drawing except you will need a THC. :Wow
pen test (2).JPG
first cuts (2).JPG
pen to paper test on rotary cutter (1).JPG

Look good! saw your video's earlier.

But now i am thinking..... What steppermotor do i need? I am even thinking that i might want to make it as crazy that i can put a 500mm diameter pipe on it :p and also for tube. for tube i do need x, y, z and rotary. and i dont have 3 plugins on my control box for that, so need to buy one. i might need to buy one because i dont want to use to heavy steppermotors on my current control box. biggest stepper atm is nema23 2,5nm.
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

Reb0rn wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:38 pm and always got the lines that go in the direction of the pipe. So that problem is solved.
That's probably due to using the body as the thing you projected.
I completely stopped using the project body due to issues and only choose the selected lines I want in the DXF.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have the plugs on the side of my controller because I move the table around and it is easy to disconnect it for moving and storage. I using the same size motor as the Y axis, 425 OZ Nema 23.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254613673420 Cat 5/6 panel connection
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264516429349?var=564232785619 motor and other type circuit panel connectors they have different pin numbers
controller package (1).JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:29 pm I have the plugs on the side of my controller because I move the table around and it is easy to disconnect it for moving and storage. I using the same size motor as the Y axis, 425 OZ Nema 23.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254613673420 Cat 5/6 panel connection
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264516429349?var=564232785619 motor and other type circuit panel connectors they have different pin numbers
controller package (1).JPG
Tom - that's a really clean looking setup. With nice big lettering for us old guys - makes it easier to read without glasses.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

thanks I use the drag knife attachment on my table to cut the sign vinyl. Also take a small square of each color a wrap around the cable by the plug so I color match the plug and jack for ease when connecting them.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Reb0rn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Reb0rn »

A cnc company adviced me nema34 steppers, better safe than sorry.

Does any of you know of a guide for making a control box? I found a diy box buy for €759,- excl VAT, but that feels to expensive.

And is Mach3 free to download? Want a seperate one for the rotary. And does that one also support x,y,z and a rotary (4th)? Or is mach only3 axis?
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Mach 3 is not free. You will have to buy a license. Or you can use the same PC & just make a separate profile in mach for your rotary. Mach3 has x,y,z & a,b,c axes I believe.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are many videos on YouTube with guys showing how to wire up a controller. I have a few drawings of the wiring of a controller if you would like them. I have built a few from scratch, but as stated by djreiswig you really only need one. Once you get the big picture it is easy to move from one operation to another with different setups.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Reb0rn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Reb0rn »

I got a mach3 controller with my plasmatable. I have it atm on 2 laptops (1 work, 1 privat) but i was thinking about installing it again under a new name on my private laptop to keep the settings separated. so 2 different named mach3's on 1 laptop.

I checked some shops on internet, and i think i can copy the whole wiring of my plasma table, the rotary needs the same, but than with a nema 34, so with a bigger driver. Might open the control box in some time and figure it out.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”