Need help with photo of chihuahua for memorial

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
TXBluegrass
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Need help with photo of chihuahua for memorial

Post by TXBluegrass »

Hello folks, first time posting. Great forum, I am learning a lot. Been trying to convert this photo of our daughter's pet off and on for a year but the results look cartoonish and not much like the photo. I use DesignEdge and tried Inkscape with the same results (learning curve very overwhelming). Any ideas on how to convert this photo or any good videos I could watch on the net. I would like to learn the steps without spending hours of trial and errors then getting frustrated and giving up. We had to put our chihuahua of 12 years asleep a week ago and when the wife picks out a photo, I would like to convert it myself. I will post results when complete. Many thanks.
coco4.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need help with photo of chihuahua for memorial

Post by adbuch »

Here is something you may be able to work with. You will still need to edit to suite your project.
David
Untitled 1.jpg

Dog.svg
Dog.dxf
Dog.pcm

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TXBluegrass wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:56 pm Hello folks, first time posting. Great forum, I am learning a lot. Been trying to convert this photo of our daughter's pet off and on for a year but the results look cartoonish and not much like the photo. I use DesignEdge and tried Inkscape with the same results (learning curve very overwhelming). Any ideas on how to convert this photo or any good videos I could watch on the net. I would like to learn the steps without spending hours of trial and errors then getting frustrated and giving up. We had to put our chihuahua of 12 years asleep a week ago and when the wife picks out a photo, I would like to convert it myself. I will post results when complete. Many thanks.coco4.jpg
Do you have the Advanced Design Upgrade?
David
TXBluegrass

Post by TXBluegrass »

Thanks for what you did David. Yes I do have the advanced version and hopefully get the upgrades when sent out (4.53 as of right now). I get kind of what you sent when I import it, but then when I try cleaning it up by adding lines it starts looking more like a bear. I do have to say that the black and white version that you sent looks more realistic then the purple and green that I see on my screen when working on it. I might just have to go to print preview to see the whole thing better.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TXBluegrass wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:48 pm Thanks for what you did David. Yes I do have the advanced version and hopefully get the upgrades when sent out (4.53 as of right now). I get kind of what you sent when I import it, but then when I try cleaning it up by adding lines it starts looking more like a bear. I do have to say that the black and white version that you sent looks more realistic then the purple and green that I see on my screen when working on it. I might just have to go to print preview to see the whole thing better.
Here area a few things that may help you to better visualize your image while working with it in Design Edge. Uncheck the box for "Use standard Design Edge colors" and set as shown below. If you also remove the box surrounding your image, then you can use closed path fill so show your image as in the third screen shot below.

David
Change screen colors.jpg
Change screen colors 1.jpg
Change screen colors 2.jpg

TXBluegrass

Post by TXBluegrass »

I switched it over David and that is really going to help. Many thanks.
-Stan-
TXBluegrass

Post by TXBluegrass »

Thanks for forwarding the U-Tube video Rokcrler. It gives me a new direction to try. Wondering what software he was using.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TXBluegrass wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:53 pm Thanks for forwarding the U-Tube video Rokcrler. It gives me a new direction to try. Wondering what software he was using.
Photoshop is what he said he was using for his demo video. It looks like you can get it for $9.99 per month when you sign up for the photography plan. I haven't tried photoshop out, but Design Edge, Inkscape, and several others are also great for manual tracing. Since you already have Design Edge, that might be the way to go for you.
David

https://graphicsmob.com/why-the-photogr ... shop-only/
sbest1
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sbest1 »

Here is my try at it. If you use it, I would put a frame around it or the bottom centre piece will fall out. Included is BMP, SVG, PDF
Hope it helps.
Coco.jpg
Coco.zip

ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

I asked Gary on another video he posted, he uses photoshop then corel draw.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
TXBluegrass

Post by TXBluegrass »

Heck of a job sbest1. I think I'll tweek it and use it. And thanks to all for keeping this thread going. I need a program that can do a bulk of the image. At my age, I "shakes a lot", wife says I need to get it checked out. Guys are hardheaded when it comes to asking for help. We learn to adapt. I will check out Photoshop and others. With cold weather coming on, I'll be spending more time inside on the computer to practice. Thanks again guys. Will give feedback with results.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Rokcrler wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:46 am I asked Gary on another video he posted, he uses photoshop then corel draw.
Didn't mean to "ruffle and feathers" by posting the results of the demo video dog you posted above. I just thought that perhaps other members would be interested to see what sort of results they could actually get using his method. Admin deleted my post - but "no harm, no foul". But based on his demo tracing video, I did purchase PhotoShop 2022 and am currently checking it out. I already have corel draw - so between watching his demo video and doing some practicing I hope to add another "tool" to my "tool belt".
David
Need help with photo ---.jpg

ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

@adbuch.. bro, no feathers ruffled man, i was just stating what he was using :)
Were all adults here and should have decently thick skin, i didnt see anything wrong with your post, @admin i dont know why it would have been deleted :shrug:
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Rokcrler wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:58 pm @adbuch.. bro, no feathers ruffled man, i was just stating what he was using :)
Were all adults here and should have decently thick skin, i didnt see anything wrong with your post, @admin i dont know why it would have been deleted :shrug:
PM sent.

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”