swamp scene criticing wanted

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
alonzo83
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

swamp scene criticing wanted

Post by alonzo83 »

So I made up my mind to stop hanging around here like a buzzard waiting for files to get dropped in my lap and decided to try learning inkscape. wow it is so much more powerfull for this type of drawing than my cad is.

Please could someone convert it to dxf havn't quite got that figured out yet. :(

please let me know what you all would do differently and how I might improve.

Thank you

on edit it appears my file size is too big. . . any ideas on how to change that?
dynatorch xls, hypertherm 125 generator, Oxy propylene torch, multiple lathes, mills and saws.
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: swamp scene criticing wanted

Post by BanksAg »

To save your Inkscape file as a dxf, go to File, Save As, and in the 'Save as type' drop-down menu, select dxf.

A couple of other things that I've learned from others on here:
- You may not need to save it as a dxf as you can import svg files into some other software such as Sheetcam
- If there are too many nodes, it increases your file size and potentially your cut quality. Cutting out un-needed nodes will reduce your file size
Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Download Winrar free and save the file in ZIP format then you can attach to a post here.
zip 2.jpg
zip.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

BanksAg wrote:To save your Inkscape file as a dxf, go to File, Save As, and in the 'Save as type' drop-down menu, select dxf.

A couple of other things that I've learned from others on here:
- You may not need to save it as a dxf as you can import svg files into some other software such as Sheetcam
- If there are too many nodes, it increases your file size and potentially your cut quality. Cutting out un-needed nodes will reduce your file size

that is the weird thing. I didn't have the option to save as a dxf, so I found the coding and installed it in the extentions file for inkscape, I can now save as a dxf file and sheet cam will not open either of the drawings. the svg or the dxf.

the nodes are driving me crazy as I came accross a video that shows how one plasma company makes drawings by converting jpeg files into vector graphics which is what I had done. the amount of those nodes is mind boggeling and there is no way I could manually clean them all up.

after a long day of fighting this software I better break away for a while and let the frustration subside.

Thank you both for the advice.

Regards,
Alonzo

edit I tried to upload the dxf version and the svg file was 1.4 mb, the dxf is 11.6 mb. :shock:
dynatorch xls, hypertherm 125 generator, Oxy propylene torch, multiple lathes, mills and saws.
alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

here is the video I was trying to mimmick to get a handle on drawing. if this it the wrong way please let me know.

https://arclightcnc.com/creating-a-custom-sign/

Regards,
Alonzo
alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

maby it will let me pull up a single tree from the scene so you folks can get an idea of the node issue I am having.. . .

Bingo!
swamptree.svg

alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

Okay for future reference. I figured out how to drop the amount of nodes in inkscape. though the scene isn't as detailed as I would like here it is.
swampscene.svg

alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

I should also add sheet cam is giving me fits when I try to load anything in it. it may be because I don't have the full version at the house.
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

You have way to many things overlapping, if one line crosses another it will create a fit; I see a lot. Get rid of the fill and look at the lines, shrink it down to a size that will fit on your table. (Start small)
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BanksAg »

My recommendation would be to watch the series of Inkscape videos from Arclight: https://arclightcnc.com/inkscape-tutorials/. There are a few issues with your file such as overlapping lines/pictures, drop-out sections, all the pieces not being combined, and all of those are covered throughout the series of videos. I've only been using Inkscape for a little over a month, and I've watched all of them at least three times. I feel like I'm just starting to get the hang of doing simple drawings. Pay special attention to the sections on 'Union' & 'Difference,' as those are the primary tools you'll use to add multiple pieces together. The other thing you'll want to take a look are the cattails in your drawing; there is a lot of really fine detail, that unless it is cut rather large, won't be cut at all.

On your Sheetcam issues, I think it's the following things causing problems: overlapping lines, detail too small to cut, and all the parts not being combined into one piece. When there are lines that overlap each other (this is where union & difference will help), Sheetcam doesn't know what to do with them.

And as Steel said 'Start small.' I have to continually tell myself the same thing.

Good luck!
Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D
alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

Thank Guys, I watched those videos and worked with inkscape pretty much all day yesterday.

I have been working on the union and difference tool quite a bit I started off small with some cat tails.

cattails.dxf

lklassen331
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by lklassen331 »

Thanks! I use cattails quite a bit so they'll come in handy
5x10 Dynatorch High Definition plasma table. Cuttingshop drawing program. Sigmanest nesting program. Custom fabrication and powder coating.

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might Ecclesiastes 9:10
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

alonzo83 wrote:Thank Guys, I watched those videos and worked with inkscape pretty much all day yesterday.

I have been working on the union and difference tool quite a bit I started off small with some cat tails.
I would change the top's and make tip's, all you need to do is drag some nodes up and watch the last two videos how he puts a box in and joins the antler try that on the missing section of the leaves, I still have a lot to learn from his videos, i also remember watching them not very long ago just wish I could tell you how to do it. :lol:
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Davewynes
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Davewynes »

I like the swamp tree great work
alonzo83

Post by alonzo83 »

Thank you for the comments and I will take a look at the nodes. I am glad you like the swamp tree.

Regards,
Alonzo

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”