New Hypertherm 65

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

New Hypertherm 65

Post by Maadman »

Have a TM 2x4 cutting table and AVHC. My new Hypertherm 65 was cutting great after I got the AVHC and the normal new setup tweaks done. Was just cutting, everything was fine, changed my sheet of metal and all of a sudden all I'm getting from my cutter is a "spurt". It goes down, touches the metal and retracts to pierce height just fine. Then I just get a little bit of an arc that quickly goes out. Airflow continues, torch does not retract and after a short time it tries it again. I hit the hold button but that does nothing, all selections are grayed out. I have to turn off the signal generator in order for it to retract. I did change the consumables after this happened a couple times, don't think they really needed it, but just in case. I tried several different patterns to make sure it wasn't the software. Ground is good and air flow is also good. Thanks for any help you can give me.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New Hypertherm 65

Post by acourtjester »

Did you hook the work ground from the plasma to the material???
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

No it is hooked to the table. Was working great that way before.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You will find it is better to direct connect it to the material you are cutting.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Does the Hypertherm's display have an error code when this happens?
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

I'll give that a try first thing tomorrow. Thank you for your help.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

No, she doesn't throw a code that I've seen. I know I've been in a hurry to stop what the torch is doing, I'll pay closer attention. I have to stop it with the signal generator which is at least 10 feet from the cutter. New setup, will have to reposition so I can see it easier. I know for sure there is no code after I turn the signal generator off. Will also check that out this morning, after it warms up a bit!! Thanks for the help.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Well, it was a good plan, until I found that my air lines are frozen! Ran another hose but it isn't large enough to give me the airflow I need. Got to figure out how to thaw out the hose, sure can't wait until spring!!
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Looks like you have some serious water issues in your air lines. Are you running any filters?
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Yup! Four of them. Two of them are rather expensive, but they are all down by the machine. The problem, I think, it condensation. When the air hose was installed they put it up against an outside metal wall. Am going to be moving whole setup to my new shed as soon as things warm up. Will definitely go with a better set up than I have now.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Frozen airline wasn't the original problem, that just happened last night. And actually have 5 filters and separators on the main airline. Still need help with why am getting the "spurts" and no cutting.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You may look at this kit for air lines.
http://www.amazon.com/Rapidair-90500-Ma ... compressor
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Thanks acourtjester, that is basically what I am using now. Temperature has risen enough to where I am now getting airflow through to the Hypertherm. Have started cutting again but am still getting occasional shutdown and error codes. Will keep all you advised as we work through the problems as they occur.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

A big thank you for all your responses. Called Torchmate, it took a while for them to figure it out. They changed a setting and now things are working very well.
odha
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by odha »

Maadman wrote:A big thank you for all your responses. Called Torchmate, it took a while for them to figure it out. They changed a setting and now things are working very well.
Do you know which settings were changed?
I am having the same problems with my torchmate. I have a thermal dynamics A60 that has been cutting great until today. ground is making good contact with metal being cut. I have even taken grinder with wire brush to the ground area and area to be cut. I am getting the same spurts of cutting either at the start or when the torch makes a tight corner. This is happening with cut files that have worked fine in the past - using the same G-codes. I have had 2 nozzles/tips that the hole was basically welded shut when this happens - It first happened with exact set up as used the day before. After I discovered the clogged/welded tip i replaced both electrode and tip and it happened again even after cleaning metal with wire brush. I also noticed a lot of metallic debris in swirling pattern inside the tip after this happened (maybe coming off the electrode.
Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I would suggest calling T-D tech support.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

odha wrote:
Maadman wrote:A big thank you for all your responses. Called Torchmate, it took a while for them to figure it out. They changed a setting and now things are working very well.
Do you know which settings were changed?
I am having the same problems with my torchmate. I have a thermal dynamics A60 that has been cutting great until today. ground is making good contact with metal being cut. I have even taken grinder with wire brush to the ground area and area to be cut. I am getting the same spurts of cutting either at the start or when the torch makes a tight corner. This is happening with cut files that have worked fine in the past - using the same G-codes. I have had 2 nozzles/tips that the hole was basically welded shut when this happens - It first happened with exact set up as used the day before. After I discovered the clogged/welded tip i replaced both electrode and tip and it happened again even after cleaning metal with wire brush. I also noticed a lot of metallic debris in swirling pattern inside the tip after this happened (maybe coming off the electrode.
Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We are on the road. Jim just gave you the best advice ever. The guys there will help you out. It took a little while for them to get it, but they did. I was on phone for about an hour, but it was a very productive hour. From what I understand it was a setting that needed to be done for the Hypertherm to relate to the Torchmate AVHC, so they will probably have to come up with a different solution. Call them, you won't regret it!
odha
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by odha »

thanks Jim & Maadman for replies - if it has not healed itself over the weekend I plan on calling tech support on Monday.
Jim you are an awesome asset to this community and Hypertherm - i hope to upgrade to one soon.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”