Cutting with nitrogen..........

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Railmen
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Cutting with nitrogen..........

Post by Railmen »

Question for Jim, will cutting with nitrogen on my powermax 85 have better hole quality??????

I'm happy with edge cutting and large inside cuts, just some of the smaller less then 1.5" holes sometimes have to much taper

Thx Railmen
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Cutting with nitrogen..........

Post by urbnsr »

I can't answer you question, but have you tried to cut the holes at a slower feed rate? Even up to 1.5"? I have my post processor slow down the feed rate 60% slower on holes 1" or less. Depending on thickness of material, this can give me decent results. If I try to cut a 1/4" hole in 1/2" steel, it doesn't look good.

HTH
Paul
Railmen
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Railmen »

Yes I do cut at 60% on holes...... Just thinking of ways to spend money on stuff that sorta helps.........

Just was throwing out that idea since the CandCNC has two spots for relays and just think it might help???????

Railmen
Railmen
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Railmen »

Now I did cut some 3/4" the other day that was just awesome, if I remember I will snap a picture of it

Railmen
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good morning Railmen
If you use nitrogen to cut steel it will be worse that with air, quite noticably. Air has oxygen which helps the cutting process and thus gives a very good edge finish, if all settings are OK. As nitrogen is basically a inert gas there is no exothermic action from it and the material (steel) is cut via the thermal condition. This may result in the material not being cut or the edge finish is rough.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Nitrogen can produce better edge metallurgy on thin stainless (as compared to air), however hole quality and edge bevel and dross formation will be worse. For steel.....nitrogen is not recommended. You will get severe edge bevel, dross and slower cut speeds as compared to air.

Air is 20% oxygen and 80% nitrogen (roughly). The oxygen content provides an exothermic boost that improves speed, edge quality, and dross on steel. On stainless and aluminum the oxygen tends to minimize dross.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Railmen wrote:Question for Jim, will cutting with nitrogen on my powermax 85 have better hole quality??????

I'm happy with edge cutting and large inside cuts, just some of the smaller less then 1.5" holes sometimes have to much taper

Thx Railmen
Railmen
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Railmen »

jimcolt wrote:Nitrogen can produce better edge metallurgy on thin stainless (as compared to air), however hole quality and edge bevel and dross formation will be worse. For steel.....nitrogen is not recommended. You will get severe edge bevel, dross and slower cut speeds as compared to air.

Air is 20% oxygen and 80% nitrogen (roughly). The oxygen content provides an exothermic boost that improves speed, edge quality, and dross on steel. On stainless and aluminum the oxygen tends to minimize dross.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Railmen wrote:Question for Jim, will cutting with nitrogen on my powermax 85 have better hole quality??????

Thx Railmen

Thx Jim, I was just kinda thinking out loud......... No biggie

Railmen
Railmen
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Railmen »

Railmen wrote:Now I did cut some 3/4" the other day that was just awesome, if I remember I will snap a picture of it

Railmen

Ok so I remember to snap a picture of it

Railmen
Railmen
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Railmen »

Ok so I guess posting a picture from my phone I'm not so good at.......

Take 2
3/4" at 80 amps
3/4" at 80 amps

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”