Coolant leak Hpr400xd

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
piney4x4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Coolant leak Hpr400xd

Post by piney4x4 »

Hi
I am having a little trouble with a leak at the torch of my hpr400xd. If you look at the picture, it is from the o-ring in the red circle. the discoloration in that area is a burn from piercing thick material. So my questions are: what can i do to stop the leaking? can i take an oring from a spare torch body that is unusable(the o ring in that area still looks good) and swap it out? is there a way to swap the top collar out and replace it? Or is this something i can send back to hypertherm for repair?
Thank you in advance.
Scott
piney4x4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Coolant leak Hpr400xd

Post by piney4x4 »

oops, i guess the picture was to big in my first attempt
Attachments
IMG_3040.JPG
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

First it starts with an oring but since it is a water cooled torch your negative is running through the water your making an electrical connection. Where the torch has turned black at the leak it may also need replacement parts. Unscrew the end with the power off and take a look at the components. They are very simple.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I suggest calling Hypertherm tech service. It looks to me like the torch is damaged....and will probably need replacement. Contrary to BTA Plasma's comment...this is a high definition, liquid cooled dual gas torch. It is a very complicated torch design with passages for cooling water to cool the negative electrode, the positive nozzle and the torch body itself. The coolant must be the correct coolant with a pump lubricant as well as a conductivity level that is below a certain point. Higher water conductivity can cause arcing like that that in your pictures. Hypertherm tech service can best help you troubleshoot this issue.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
piney4x4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by piney4x4 »

Thank you for the quick response but I not sure that tannish/greyish part comes off of the torch body. I know it got on there at the factory somehow. That part is the part that threads the quick disconnect torch body to the quick disconnect receptical on the gantry. We did end up buying a new torch body but I would like to have this old one as a spare.

Thanks again,
Scott
piney4x4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by piney4x4 »

Sorry Jim,
I was looking at this post on my phone and you comment didn't show up as the latest one so my last post can be ignored. we did end up replacing the torch body.
We have been using hypertherm brand coolant since the table was new 2 and a half years ago. Is there a good way to check the conductivity level of the coolant?
I am pretty sure that the burn in the picture was from piercing a 2-5/8" thick blind flange (I know 2" is the max recommended pierce at 400amps but i always get pressured to push the limits when we're in a bind). I could be wrong and it could have been that i noticed it after the fact and just associated it with that pierce.

Thanks again,
Scott

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”