hypertherm questions

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

hypertherm questions

Post by gamble »

Been rocking this PM45 with machine torch and shielded consumables for just about a week now and have a few basic questions.

What consumables do I need to go to 30amp consumables?

When I take the consumables out and put them back together the light on the PM45 doesn't go off. I have to turn off the plasma cutter then back on and it will work. Is this normal operation?

Would you guys still rock these consumables or are they about done? The pitting on the electrode is probably 1/32 or so

my machine torch came with this shield. or it looks like it.
1) should I change it?
2) how often do these wear out? I am seeing a lot of build up inside those holes
http://store.weldersource.com/p-3593-hy ... gQodIaoAwQ

Thanks all
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: hypertherm questions

Post by Brand X »

All new consumables are needed.. I would get a new shield, just so you know you are getting the best you can get out of that setup..

Cutmaster 42/Esab 400 does the same thing as your 45 when removing the consumables. Have to reset the machine.. Not so with the A-series cutmaster or Esab powercut 1600 I have. Cutmaster A models turn the machine into a different mode when the PIP is activated. It shuts the fan down/etc, then put the cup back on, and it's ready to go.. The Bigger Esab will not change at all. If you hit the trigger with the consumables out or anything wrong, it faults anyway.. I prefer the Esab 1600 in that area in how it works. Handy sometimes, not to have to cycle the thing..

Without a good THC, parts get replaced way more then you should on consumables. In fact it's one of the most important factors for consumable life. Other area is cut quality. (Like Bevel) If you like Bevel cutting, then go without a Quality THC.. :mrgreen:
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

[quote][/quote]The electrode is fine, it will generally outlast the nozzle about 2 to 1. There is a great section in your operators manual that describes inspection of the consumables....and when they should be changed. The operators manual from Hypertherm is your friend, and is second to none in the industry.

For 30 amp consumables.....which are the exact same consumables used on the original Powermax30, refer to the 30 mp consumables cut chart and corresponding consumables part numbers listed in your operators manual. They are near the end of the mechanized cut charts. You need the retaining cap, nozzle, electrode and swirl ring as all are completely different designs as compared to the 45 amp shielded parts.

Are you using a hand torch or machine torch? Either way, be sure you use the machine torch shield for machine cutting, and the hand torch shield for hand cutting.

The interlock that does not allow the plasma to fire after changing consumables is a safety feature to keep operators that change consumables without shutting the switch off...from being exposed to lethal voltages. If you had a low cost import machine....you would not have this feature!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
30amp consumables.png
30amp consumables.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Hi Jim,

just like to mention the point about low amps and fine kerf desire again. I've certainly wanted it many times and I'm noticing more and more others are wanting it.

I don't know if it's not much of a money spinner for Hypertherm to make a really small plasma unit, BUT if they could ADD very low amps and a tiny nozzle to their existing models (i.e. future releases), I think that would certainly be a big selling point. As you know once you get past a certain cut speed (thin warping sheets) you need a very fast table and THC to deal with that. I also still find even the Finecuts are too much of a hammer for thinner more intricate cuts. Much lower amps and narrower kerf would definitely be great.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

We are working on it. Cannot guarantee that lower power consumables are "backwards compatible" with all systems. Many power supplies have a minimum amperage of 15 to 20 amps, a 10 amp set of consumables would not work well. It takes Hypertherm 6 months or more to bring new consumable parts designs to the market, as they must go through our tough reliability, cut quality and life test protocol, just as all of our systems do.

The Powermax30XP actually is a machine I would consider using if all of my cutting was 1/8" (3mm) and under. We are determining if we should supply a machine torch and a safe electrical interface for mechanized use.

Jim
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

For existing machines I don't know if Hypertherm could develop some sort of adjustable current shunt.

Example my 1250 only goes down to 25 amps. IF Hypertherm could develop say some very narrow kerf 15 or 20 amp nozzles that would fit straight in the stock torch or the Duramax torch, then an external current shunt could "dump" 10 of those 25 amps, leaving 15 amps. Being a constant current output, so long as the shunt keeps that 10 amp dump, you'll always have the 15 amps through the nozzle.

Of course I realise Hypertherm many not see enough of a market, or any financial viability in such an add-on.

Just a thought anyway, never mention, never happens.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Mechanized cutting with air plasma systems is less than 10% of the total size of the air plasma cutter market. We will design consumables for the most popular currently manufactured systems that will cut better on thin materials at lower speeds, but we will not do redesign work to the power supplies. If we make some good breakthrough's on low current cutting, then future power supply designs will accommodate them.

The biggest issue currently is that many low cost cnc machines simply are unstable at speeds above 120-150 ipm. Shaky motion, poor acceleration, mechanical backlash all make the plasma look like it doesn't cut well. Thin materials require high speeds and that stresses some machine designs. In reality, the best fix is better machine motion and control of height, but that adds complexity and cost to the machine, so we are trying to make up for machine motion issues with consumables that will cut at lower power and slower speeds.

I am happy with my home shop machine...stable to about 350 ipm with excellent acceleration and no issues with height control. Servo drives and integrated height control that does not dive.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

On the low current nozzles.. My Cutmaster A-120 goes down in amps to 30 bottom. I can use the 20 amp tips at 30 amps no problem. The office size is the same as the 30 amp ones. Some things change, but they pretty much work the same.. Tried it with the SL-40 torch, and the 20-35 amp 9-0091 nozzles with excellent results also.. tiny kerf.. (All use exposed tip on those amps) Great setup.. hand or machine.. I also use My Esab with 20/30 amp Tips/Nozzles, but the Esab does go down to 10 amps on bottom.(don't cut there) Sweet for cutting .035 Mild Steel (saw blade art) at nice 120 ipm.. It's great, and easy on my heavier type gantry.. I have zero issue cutting higher speed to a point,and the THC certainly will keep up. Just prefer the option to cut how I want to cut something.. The 45 amps nozzles on the Powermax-65, and 85 was a huge reason I did not want to go with that machine..
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

BrandX. The 45 amp shielded nozzles have detailed cut chart specs for cutting at 30 amps, and they work very well down to 20 amps with the conical flow technology....that no one else has. There also are FineCut consumables that can cut at up to 45 amps.....these were all designed to cut very well as low as 20 amps....and I have used them at that power level many times. Low end cutting with the Hypertherm Duramax torches is a very good process. Use one torch for best quality from 26 gauge up beyond 1 inch.

Jim Colt
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Jim, can you get a more narrow cut kerf by using less air pressure?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Jim,
one torch for the others too.. Using the SL-40 torch is only to get a very tiny kerf by hand.. Also to use something that has a much smaller handle/front end/flexible small cable ..It's one reason I no longer have a small machine in my shop.. Zero need for one with the SL-40 option. Still can run a 25ft extension on it, to get a bit more reach The Sl-60 -100/Esab PT-38 or the larger Duramax does not even get close to that performance. The 20 amp Esab consumables are perfectly matched to the output to the machine, and it will also cut very thin ga to 1 inch very nice..(With one torch) I found there are many good options today, and not one brand does it all for everyone. Certainly not for me.. I have even got my Victor to cut excellent, which is not a machine for most people that do not have a very good understanding of the quirks of the one torch.. Hypertherm, and then Esab are for people that want to open a book, and get exact cutting performance the book says.. Victor is not even close there in certain amp ranges.. Good tradeoff for me is the wide range of options the machine allows.. I have gotten the cutting performance very well perfected at this point, to most of what I cut. Still working on 3/4 and above.. I just don't cut that much of it to get very good with it. Esab does fine though.. I would rather use my gas torch on thicker stuff anyway.. Nice to have different types of cutting, along with different machines.. I personally think Esab has a few patented design features in their consumables that do a excellent job too. It sure does match my friends Hypertherm 85 in speed and also in quality of cuts (best quality cutting parameters) They just don't seem to have the PR department of the others. With my CandCNC system going from one machine to the other is very fast between models.. I just hang my Victor one torch above the machine, and run the PT-37 in the cable runner. The Smith gas torch hangs above the machine too..
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Gamble,

You can get a slightly narrower kerf by running lower air pressure, however expect shorter consumable life and drossier cuts. It is better to use a nozzle with a smaller orifice to get narrower cut kerfs, this allows correct energy density and a narrower cut column.

BrandX, I think the 140 plus plasma cutting patents is what makes the Hypertherm torches work better, not PR. Conical flow technology uses the inside shape of the shield and the outside of the nozzle to create a high velocity, radial air injection that surrounds the arc increasing density as the plasma jet exits the nozzle orifice. That technology comes from the process engineering labs, not marketing!

Best regards, Jim colt
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Jim,
have you ever personally cut with a PT-37 torch with all the different consumables layouts and machines. Just wonder if you could tell me exactly how they function? I will give you your chance in Aug. if you want to head out to the Wa. coast.. :lol: We will have a Hypertherm 85 setup, and probably my Esab. quite a few Thermal Dynamics machines too. I need to get together to interface the THC, But I think it can be done pretty easy.. We both have Candcnc stuff.. Mine is just a later model thc.. That's how I like to see what works and what is market hype..
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I have cut with a PT-37 at book specs only....which is the way we benchmark test our competitive products. But no, I have not spent the time experimenting with different settings to determine if the cut quality or consumable life could be tweaked.

If I can make it I will, however I would need some details so I can plan on it. I am building two new cnc machines built for the November Sema and Fabtech shows, my time will be scarce as we get closer!

Jim
Brand X wrote:Jim,
have you ever personally cut with a PT-37 torch with all the different consumables layouts and machines. Just wonder if you could tell me exactly how they function? I will give you your chance in Aug. if you want to head out to the Wa. coast.. :lol: We will have a Hypertherm 85 setup, and probably my Esab. quite a few Thermal Dynamics machines too. I need to get together to interface the THC, But I think it can be done pretty easy.. We both have Candcnc stuff.. Mine is just a later model thc.. That's how I like to see what works and what is market hype..
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I will PM over at the Welding web for complete info. It will be Aug, 28 -30th.. Flight to Portland, Oregon would be best, and you can use a rental car, and hitch a ride with people coming in at the same time.. It's 135 miles to the Wa. Coast from there. Place to stay has been arranged next to the shop, and other options too.I will also be driving through, and could pick up or deliver you on time for the flight home... Seattle is about the same distance, but fewer people are heading down that way.. Almost all are going through PDX or close..

Scott
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

I have been running a Hypertherm PM45 and hand torch (T45v) using the PM30 consumables for this first year of CNC plasma cutting 16ga CR steel. I would love to see Hypertherm make available a compatible T45 torch T30 smaller kerf SHIELDED consumables to use. Using the T30 consumables allows us to run 100% duty cycle at a 30A setting on the PM45. The T30 cut works best for our more detailed smaller signage and art projects. We only use the T45v consumables for thicker steel 1/8" and up for commercial brackets and parts due to the Hypertherm cut tables are available and the thicker materials normally run slower IPM settings to work on our table. I do alot of YouTube video viewing and I rarely see any table running at 325IPM for 16ga. steel.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”