HT PM 85 LOW AIR PRESSURE WITH MACHINE TORCH

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
radnurse68
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

HT PM 85 LOW AIR PRESSURE WITH MACHINE TORCH

Post by radnurse68 »

I started noticing a different sound while cutting on the table with my HT PM 85 machine torch, as if it was not getting enough air but I kinda "blew" it off because it seemed to still have decent cut quality. I was using 45 amp fine cut consumables on 14g cold rolled. Last night I put some 1/4 in hot rolled on and immediately noticed it had the same sound but wasn't cutting all the way through and was getting a lot of dross on top. After troubleshooting it with Scott from Arclight Dynamics this evening it appears I'm getting proper air pressure to the machine but the machine is changing the pressure to the torch therefore causing decreased cut voltage and bad cuts. I tried it with 65 and 85. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you fix it? My torch is less than a year old with low mileage. I know it is under warranty but I can't really go without it for too long. I've got some fairly big projects going on. Thanks for any input. By the way it seems to work fine with the hand torch.

Steve
Stephen W. Sparks RN,CRN
Creating Sparks Metal Worx
Arclight Dynamics Arc Pro 12000 5X10
Linux, Sheetcam, Inkscape, Solid Edge
Hypertherm 85
MIllermatic 175
AHP Alphatig 200X
Kool Koat 3.0 DPW

"Ridin around having a big time!"
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HT PM 85 LOW AIR PRESSURE WITH MACHINE TORCH

Post by acourtjester »

Have you checked the gas filter element on the rear of the Hypertherm?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
radnurse68
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by radnurse68 »

Yes we checked it all. I totally bypassed all filters and the refrigerated air cooler. doesn't throw any codes either. Scott from Arclight said he believes the problem is inside the 85.
Stephen W. Sparks RN,CRN
Hypertherm 85
MIllermatic 175
AHP Alphatig 200X
Kool Koat 3.0 DPW

urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Maybe have a piece of teflon tape broke loose and is plugging the line?

HTH
Paul
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

As always.....it is best to contact technical service at Hypertherm. They will lead you through troubleshooting using the digital readout on your Powermax85.....which can verify exact output pressure. If you are in auto air pressure mode the cut pressure is set by a digital/electronic pressure regulator based on the torch lead length as well as the mode selector switch. If the pressure is outside of the allowable range.....you will get an error code.

You can put the system into "manual" mode and set the cut pressure manually.....which tech service can help you with as well. The contact number is in your operators manual and also is on the http://www.hypertherm.com website. The techs are very knowledgable and are more than willing to help you out.

Top dross usually indicates that the torch to work distance is too high, which will also cause the arc to not fully penetrate. It could also indicate worn consumables (including swirl ring and retaining cap) as well as an air pressure issue. Consumables are always the first things to check and replace.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
radnurse68
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by radnurse68 »

While I appreciate your advise Jim I'm rarely at home where my machine is before 5pm EST. I live in Texas and tech support closes at 4pm my time and I'm still at the hospital at that time. The only thing that I had not tested is the inlet air pressure and it drops to 90 psi on pierce and cuts at about 105. I also did what little I know about the diagnostic screen and I took a pic of it. I will post it here. You will notice the asterisk and the 1 to the right of the G which indicates the air is on and at 68 psi. I have no idea if that is good or bad. I will also attempt to contact tech support as soon as possible. Once again thanks for the help!

Steve
Attachments
serial number=model plasma torch.jpg
diagnostic screen plasma torch.jpg
Stephen W. Sparks RN,CRN
Hypertherm 85
MIllermatic 175
AHP Alphatig 200X
Kool Koat 3.0 DPW

jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You can communicate with them via email. I suspect you do not have a low air pressure problem. What you have posted on here is a good start to sent to the tech service group.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
biggator850
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by biggator850 »

Have you tried changing all the consumables? I had a similar problem and realized I was using the shielded swirl ring with fine cut nozzles instead of the fine cut swirl ring which has smaller holes. Kept giving me air pressure faults. Just a thought!

BC
radnurse68
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by radnurse68 »

Yes I've changed consumables. It is doing it with fine cut, 65amp and 85amp. when using fine cut on the thinner material it still manages to complete the cut with minimal problems but not with the thicker stuff. I was able to make a finish a project with 1/4 in by setting it for 3/8 and tweaking the cut speed but the quality wasn't that good.

Thanks

Steve
Stephen W. Sparks RN,CRN
Hypertherm 85
MIllermatic 175
AHP Alphatig 200X
Kool Koat 3.0 DPW

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”