Powermax 30 xp

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Dan-PlasmaCAM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 30 xp

Post by Dan-PlasmaCAM »

The cut chart on the Powermax 30 xp lacks a little to be desired what is the cut height and pierce height for the Fine cut tips?

Currently just using the Heights for the 65 as best I can remember them- .15 Pierce .065 cut.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 30 xp

Post by jimcolt »

Dan-PlasmaCAM,

We do not provide mechanized cut charts for machines that are designed for hand cutting only. Currently there are no machine torch consumables or machine torches....or safe ways to interface the Powermax30XP on a CNC machine. Hypertherm has strict internal guidelines regarding our plasma cutter's duty cycle capability that determines our recommendations for machine cutting use. The Powermax30XP is designed to meet hand held duty cycle requirements, but does not meet mechanized at this time.

That being said, there are quite a few users that have adapted the 30XP to cnc machine cutting applications, so I installed a 30XP on my home shop machine just to try it out. I was actually quite impressed with the cut quality on thinner materials (below 3/16") with this system.

I suggest using a pierce height of .150" for all cutting (Fine Cut and regular consumables) and use the cut speeds as listed in the operators manual. Cut height with both sets of consumables worked best for me at about .030" (needs to be closer than the other systems in Hypertherms line for best results).

Maximum pierce thickness for the Finecut consumables should be limited to 3/16", for the regular shielded consumables you can pierce to 1/4". It will pierce thicker, but you will experience short consumable life if you do so. If you use the Powermax30XP only on materials less than 1/4" you will get good results for machine cutting, although you could run into duty cycle limitations under higher cut volume conditions or during high ambient temperatures.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote:The cut chart on the Powermax 30 xp lacks a little to be desired what is the cut height and pierce height for the Fine cut tips?

Currently just using the Heights for the 65 as best I can remember them- .15 Pierce .065 cut.
Dan-PlasmaCAM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Dan-PlasmaCAM »

Thanks a lot Jim- I knew you would have the information! Hope all is well with you. I bought a PlasmaCAM machine and Hypertherm as I was leaving. If you ever get into Wyoming get in touch I could find a beer with your name on it!

Thanks
Dan
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote:Thanks a lot Jim- I knew you would have the information! Hope all is well with you. I bought a PlasmaCAM machine and Hypertherm as I was leaving. If you ever get into Wyoming get in touch I could find a beer with your name on it!

Thanks
Dan
I'll get round #2.

Dano in Laramie
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Hi Jim, as always, your comments and advice is very useful. What is however not clear from the above comments concerning the use of a Powermax30XP in the CNC application is, "...or safe ways to interface the Powermax30XP on a CNC machine." Does this refer to the safety of the equipment, or of the operator, or perhaps both? A second question concerns the ideal ambient temperature, which obviously affects the duty cycle: what would this be, considering that some of us live and therefore must operate our machines, in some rather hot tropical or arid environments? I look forward to your reply. enzed
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Hi Jim, as always, your comments and advice is very useful. What is however not clear from the above comments concerning the use of a Powermax30XP in the CNC application is, "...or safe ways to interface the Powermax30XP on a CNC machine." Does this refer to the safety of the equipment, or of the operator, or perhaps both? A second question concerns the ideal ambient temperature, which obviously affects the duty cycle: what would this be, considering that some of us live and therefore must operate our machines, in some rather hot tropical or arid environments? I look forward to your reply. enzed
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

enzed wrote:What is however not clear from the above comments concerning the use of a Powermax30XP in the CNC application is, "...or safe ways to interface the Powermax30XP on a CNC machine." Does this refer to the safety of the equipment, or of the operator, or perhaps both? enzed
Hi enzed,

the way a lot of people interface a hand torch to a cnc system is to splice into the hand torch switch wires, so effectively you have a 2nd switch in parallel with the trigger on the hand torch. I think that is what Hypertherm class as very dangerous. The possibility exists that a user could be holding the HAND torch and the cnc machine gives a signal to start the plasma jet........................and maybe at the time, the operator was taking a close up eye inspection of the nozzle :o
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Thanks very much Beefy, I now understand, and your explanation makes a lot of sense - adding a second switch can certainly result in a bad accident if the operator is not completely careful and alert. Let's hope that in the near future, Hypertherm can develop a safer alternative for people who would want to attach a Powermax 30 XP or 30 AIR to a CNC platform. Best wishes, enzed
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Suitable Cutters for CNC work on 19 to 6 gauge material

Post by enzed »

Another question for Jim (or for anyone else who can advise me): If mounting the Powermax 30 XP orPowermax 30AIR cutters onto a CNC platform is not a good idea, which plasma cutter would you advise for CNC work (metal art) on thin material of about 1 mm to about 5 mm thick (19 gauge to about 6 gauge), mainly mild steel? enzed
jimcolt

Re: Suitable Cutters for CNC work on 19 to 6 gauge material

Post by jimcolt »

If I was always cutting under 10 gauge I would use the Powermax30xp on a cnc machine for best thin material cut quality. I would need to figure out the electrical interface on my own, as Hypertherm currently does not offer an easy, safe suggestion for electrical connections between the Powermax30XP (or any of our earlier systems that do not have available machine torches).

I would also be careful with duty cycle. The Powermax30XP, Powermax30Air, (as well as our previous systems that were designed specifically for portable hand held plasma cutting applications) have relatively low duty cycle ratings that could more easily be exceeded in a mechanized cutting application.....machines don't get tired or take breaks in the same manner as humans! That is the reason that I would use the 30XP only on materials thinner than 10 ga.......as thinner materials use a lower arc voltage (shorter arc length) that increase duty cycle ratings. Of course occasional cuts on thicker materials are acceptable.

If I needed to cut in the range suggested by enzed (1mm to 5mm, just under 1/4") then I would recommend either the Powermax65 with its Finecut consumables (and machine torch and interface port) as the best choice. The Powermax45 is also an excellent choice with its machine torch (and interface port) and while it does not have "Finecut consumables"......it can use a set of unshielded 30 amp consumables for cut quality that is similar to Finecuts.

So...I am not against using the 30XP on cnc machines.....just cannot help you figure out the (very simple) electrical interface, and I caution you to stay within reasonable thickness and productivity ranges to keep the unit running inside of its intended design capabilities (duty cycle).

I installed a 30XP on my Plasmacam cnc a while back and use it for a few days. I cut a range of materials......even a piece of 1/2" (with an edge start, only 5 inches per minute....a definite duty cycle killer!). I have to say I was very impressed with the cut quality on materials thinner than 3/16", and the cut speeds were slow, which is good for those cnc machines that are unstable at higher speeds (there are a lot). Height control is necessary, and to use ohmic plate sensing you must fabricate a special probe that attaches to the torch. Yes....if I was doing intricate art on thin materials I would probably use this system.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

enzed wrote:Another question for Jim (or for anyone else who can advise me): If mounting the Powermax 30 XP orPowermax 30AIR cutters onto a CNC platform is not a good idea, which plasma cutter would you advise for CNC work (metal art) on thin material of about 1 mm to about 5 mm thick (19 gauge to about 6 gauge), mainly mild steel? enzed
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Thank you very much Jim; as a beginner who still has an enormous amount to learn about plasma and related matters, your comments and advice are always very valuable and much appreciated. Consequently, please excuse anything dumb which I may say or suggest in my ignorance; but if I don't say it and get corrected by someone like you, I will remain dumb and will not learn anything!

I hear what your'e saying about a Powermax 45 or 65 as more suitable alternatives, but in terms of cost, are these not overkill where relatively thin sheet-work is to be done? Like buying a 4x4 vehicle which never sees a dirt road? I think that there are many DIY'rs, hobbyists, metal artists and others who cannot afford the more expensive, larger cutters (nor perhaps even have a need for them) and will consequently find the 30XP and 30AIR units very attractive alternatives.

As for the current shortcomings with the Powermax 30XP and 30AIR CNC platform interface, it would really be fantastic if Hypertherm addresses these by producing a proper machine torch for these cutters, which could be retro-fitted once avaible.

Duty cycle problems: I would think that this too can be taken care of by fitting a thermostat cut-out switch to the cutter, to switch it off when it overheats? Alternatively, would cooling the unit itself e.g. by placing a strong fan near it, or blowing chilled air out of an conditioner air over it not reduce the problem, at least to a degree (but not an excuse to misuse it)? Thanks again, enzed.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

All Hypertherm units have multiple internal thermal sensors.....all will shut off the DC cutting power and keep the fan running if internal components get to a temperature that is near their maximum rated limit. You will get either an error LED or an error code indicating overheating. You won't damage any Hypertherm by exceeding duty cycle occasionally, however if you regularly exceed the duty....expect internal components to be stressed, and early failure is more likely. Bottom line, if you exceed duty cycle often....your system is being used beyond its design capacity.

I agree with you 100% that the 30XP would make a great little plasma for cnc cutting of thin materials...for hobbyist type use. The problem is....the number of air plasma's that get used in mechanized (cnc or other mechanized apps) is less than 5% of the total volume sold.....on units below 65 Amps. 95% are used for hand cutting only.....that is where the volume is.

Is it worth the engineering time and cost to develop special features that only 5% of the buyers will use? Hypertherm's Powermax product engineering team is looking at the potential for components that would allow us to "officially" support the use of the Powermax30XP for mechanized use, however there are currently no guarantee's or date that this would occur. In my opinion it would take a special machine torch, as well as a special electrical interface (wiring harness)....and some different consumables. It would also include detailed cut charts (developed from test cutting in our labs) and a different set of production, piercing and cut speed ratings as compared to the system's use with hand torches.

So, if you fit the niche where the Powermax30XP works....feel free to put it on a cnc machine. From my experience it works quite well on materials thinner than 3/16" at hobbyist production cutting levels. Keep in mind that mine was interfaced with a good cnc machine with torch height control.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

As a recent convert from a 30xp on a cnc to a pm45 I can agree that the 30p is a great little performer.

The 30A consumables on the PM45 are equally as good as the finecuts were on the 30xp, but they both demand the maximum from a THC system- maintaining a 0.5mm cut is not easy.

I like the extra capacity of the 45, it has some impressive piercing ability and an excellent duty cycle.

Interfacing the 30xp was a doddle - simply open the torch handle and splice in the trigger wires, for safety sake always turn off the power when inspecting or changing consumables. Of course you will need a way to get the divided torch volts for the THC too - thats a little harder to do as it means going inside the case and bringing potentially dangerous voltage outside to the divider board - there is no space inside the compact case to fit it.

I still miss my little 30xp but now i'm getting used to the 45, the times i miss the little guy are getting less and less ;)
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Thank you again Jim, your comments are very encouraging and I hope that in the not too distant future, Hypertherm will announce some exciting developments concerning the 30 XP and 30 AIR cutters for CNC application! I am now almost 100% convinced that I must invest in a 30 AIR and fit it to a good CNC platform.

It is a valid question you ask regarding whether it is worth the costs of engineering and development for the less than 5% of the total volume of cutters sold below 65 amps is of air plasmas used in the cnc application, and 95% for hand-cutting application. But this can perhaps be turned around and another interesting question asked: if these cutters were engineered for CNC application, would it not increase the percentage of this category of cutter used on CNC platforms for cutting thin material? A chicken-and-egg situation! ?

Thanks again for your expert advice and patience Jim; it is much appreciated. Best wishes, enzed.
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Another question Jim: Would you recommend the 30 XP over the 30 AIR for CNC cutting, or are they both regarded as equals for this application? Thanks, enzed
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

enzed wrote:Duty cycle problems: I would think that this too can be taken care of by fitting a thermostat cut-out switch to the cutter, to switch it off when it overheats? Alternatively, would cooling the unit itself e.g. by placing a strong fan near it, or blowing chilled air out of an conditioner air over it not reduce the problem, at least to a degree (but not an excuse to misuse it)? Thanks again, enzed.
Enzed,

just a little something for you to think about, you don't want a machine cutting out on overtemp in the middle of a cut. If you aren't in a hurry to get through your cuts, you can put delays between cuts, even putting a particularly long delay before a long cut to let the electronics cool more.

My 80 amp machine fan comes on regularly when the weather gets warmer. I've actually toyed with the idea of enclosing my plasma cutter in a wooden enclosure with a closed loop cooling air circuit from a window aircon (made my refrigerated air dryer that way). Electronics last longer when they are not run hot all the time.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Thank you for the advice beefy, makes sense to me. I'm also thinking along similar lines to you in terms of cooling the cutter unit, not so much to extend the duty cycle time, but more to protect the equipment from overheating. Best wishes, enzed
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The 30XP produces about 3700 watts of cutting power and has shielded consumables (except for the Finecut). The 30 Air produces about 2500 watts of cutting power and only runs non-shielded consumables.

Higher power allows faster, thicker cutting, shielded consumables will last considerably longer as compared to non shielded.

The 30XP would definitely be the superior product if you were going to use it on a mechanized cutting application.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

enzed wrote:Another question Jim: Would you recommend the 30 XP over the 30 AIR for CNC cutting, or are they both regarded as equals for this application? Thanks, enzed
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Quote from Beefy: "My 80 amp machine fan comes on regularly when the weather gets warmer. I've actually toyed with the idea of enclosing my plasma cutter in a wooden enclosure with a closed loop cooling air circuit from a window aircon (made my refrigerated air dryer that way). Electronics last longer when they are not run hot all the time."

When the fan comes on in any Hypertherm unit that has the on demand fan (all of the Powermax units from the last 7 years or so) does not mean it is near duty cycle. The fan comes on to maintain internal temperatures low enough so it will not reach duty cycle.

On hot summer days in my shop the fan in my Powermax85 often comes on when it is sitting there idling....not even cutting!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Thanks again Jim, I take note of what you say. Your comments and advice are always very valuable and much appreciated, and I'm sure by all who read them, and not only me! Best wishes, enzed.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”