Large Cut out HELP! -Trace and Scan?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
dbug10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Large Cut out HELP! -Trace and Scan?

Post by dbug10 »

Ok guy and girls I have a side clutch cover of of a Yamaha Rhino that someone want me to make a spacer for this thing has ins and outs ups and downs it would be extreemly hard to draw using corr. so I was wondering how I could trace the outline and scan it into PC it is about 24" x 14" I really dont want to try to scan it on a regular scanner and have to try to piece it where can I go to get the tracing scanned in a one shot deal? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Large Cut out HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mdwalker »

Could you possibly take a digital picture of the part then convert it to a dxf file? Then you could scale it to the correct dimensions. If you don't have the capabilities to convert it somebody else on this site might could do it for you. The picture would have to be centered and not taken from an angle. Might be worth a shot.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by boodog710 »

Danny's suggestion is the way to go. I have taken a picture, imported it into Cutting Shop, traced it, sized it and converted it to a dxf. Easy to do if you have the right software.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I've also used the snapa pic method and import it in but I've had bad results. When you're standing over the cutout, centered on it, then take a picture of it... the extreme left and right sides are smaller than the center height.
Like if you were to try the same method with a 36" high by 96" long perfect rectangle, once you scan it in and trace it out, the ends may only be about 32" high and the center height would be 36" high.

I don't have a solution to this... just hoping somebody else will have one.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
MQUICK
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by MQUICK »

If it's clean, you can take it to a fedx store that does office copies. They have 24 x 48" scanners and larger. I have used them on some large parts. They can save in many formats and only cost me $4 to $6. Just bring in a thumb drive and they can save it for you. I "think" they can email it to you too. you get a nice clean scan.
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

The problem encountered by taking the digital picture of the part and it not coming out square is because of the fish eye nature of the camera lense. If you use the zoom function and shoot the picture as far back as possible the error is minimized. Use a tripod to keep the picture as sharp as possible ans also timed shutter delay. Quality of the camera will make a big difference.
dbug10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dbug10 »

MQUICK, do you think that most all of the Fedex Kinkos have the large format scanners that is the way I think would be the way to go I have a good clean hand trace of the part. It is a line drawing I took the gasket and traced it do you think I should fill the middle between the lines or just leave the inside and outside lines as they are ?
MQUICK

Post by MQUICK »

Why not use the gasket if you have it? The line drawing will work too. The gasket would be better. If you have problems with keeping scale, scan a rule with the gasket. I am in Saint Louis, MO. The 2 Fedex places I have gone to have the large scanners. Any place that can make copies of buleprints will also have large scanners. That is what the Fedex stores here use them for.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”