Selling at the local Antique Mall

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Selling at the local Antique Mall

Post by Nacs Fab »

I did a search and could not find a thread like this, so i thought I would start one. Any of you have experience with selling in a booth space at an Antique Mall or other establishment that is open daily? We are about to pull the trigger on a 96 Square/Foot space and it will be around $200 per month.

Please list your experiences and I will continue to update mine as time progresses.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Selling at the local Antique Mall

Post by AnotherDano »

There are a lot of opinions scattered throughout the forum. Not all of it is good.
Out local 'open daily' flea market is 90% junk. I think the majority of us don't want our offerings associated with what I consider garage-sale crap.. These venues cater to the customers with that mindset.

That's just my experience - YRMV.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Run away LOL. On a serious note i have done it twice and it failed and i ended up loosing money. The difference between us and the people that sell in those places are we have more money invested in our metal than they do in junk. These people buy all that junk in bulk, they go to estate sales and buy it for pennies on the dollar as where we will have 25.00 bucks in a sign they have 10 cents in a trinket that might sell for 10.00. We have to make our product where they are just buying to resale it. Some people might do well but most don't. The last one i did for a year and sold alot but when i ran the numbers at the end of the year it was a bust. When i told them i was leaving they didn't care or ask why cause they new why, they also told the people coming in the place that i had went out of business.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

To me antique malls are where people over 60 go on a date . . .

They look, poke reminisce all while hands remain in pocket.

Anytime you are evaluating a potential sales location watch it for a few days during what they term their busy time.

See how many people actually come out with a purchase vs. hands in pocket.

You have to remember a lot of craft shows, markets, etc . . . are really in the (booth rental) real estate business .

My 2 cents . . .
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Rockenjvdesign
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Rockenjvdesign »

I go to antique malls to find saw blades for cut outs I just like the old handles but as far as selling in them I don't think you would sell a lot to pay for the space
Rocken JV Design We do it all
Plasma cam DHC2
hypertherm powermax 45
Custom furniture
Home décor
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I have done it. I would say go ahead and don't. It will be a learning experience and you would be lucky to break even. My advice is to use the time, effort and money to explore and develop other business and market opportunities, which would likely pay off more and for longer and give you a better ROI. If you want more details PM me I will give you the whole story.

Shane
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I am currently renting space in a CRAFT Mall in a town that is a pretty busy tourist spot. I rent a space for $70/month and 6% of sales, and all I have to do is keep it supplied. They have staff that checks out and wraps items, etc.
I started renting in Oct 2014 and to date have done fairly well. Enough to make the rent and put some money in my pocket. I am going to keep renting for a year and then see what the numbers say.
This is a craft store with about 200 such booths for rent. The antique store is a separate entity a few doors away.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by exceptional »

I'm entering my 2nd month and think I will give my 30 day notice tomorrow. First month sold one item about $25.00 my space cost $48. Second month, the manager heard me talking about pulling out and offered me a free space with a commission fee. I might see where that goes without a monthly fee but they are still using my product to decorate their wall. I'm really not a fan. We'll see how the next month goes.
storiesnsteel
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by storiesnsteel »

I have tried the antique mall thing a try twice as well and like the other fellow lost money both times seems that it just is not the ideal place to market the work . I am going to give the open air market thing a try this summer at a popular venue near me that hosts a huge number of venders and thousands of customers each weekend ,
Greg From Storiesnsteel
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by exceptional »

Almost done with second month at the store and no sales at all. They sure talk up my product and all the people are looking at it and on and on. The problem is, they aren't cutting me a check. $25 sales in 2 months, I'm pulling my stuff out. I have tried gun shows and guns shows, at best I break even. Trying the farmers market this summer. I really wish someone could share something positive about how to sell these products. Love doing it, but I need to sell. Any suggestions are welcome, I'm out of ideas.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I have tried it all, you need to build a customer base. Setup a Facebook and make some items that are unique to your area and post some pics of these on your Facebook. Pic one item and do a giveaway and spend a little money and promote the post of the giveaway item. This will get people sharing your product and the more likes your page gets the more exposure you will get.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

The farmers market is my choice but you have to stock the little shiny shit that will catch the eye of people who just came for the veggies. The whole purpose my being there is to maintain a 'presence'. It's something I can't NOT do.

Women will buy stuff that they think their husband/brother/friend will like. The 'We don't dial 911' sign does well. Man Cave, Garage signs and the Wyo bucking horse are good around here. Farmers market shoppers don't expect to see our kind of products there and bring just enough cash for the evenings dinner. Prices must be kept at around twenty bucks,,, ten is better. The whole point of being there is to let the custy feel the heft of my (14ga) stuff and see a lot of bright colors. Think of little stuff you can make from drops or otherwise sent to the scrap yard.
Man Cards or the 'Round 2 It' things are great for showing off colors (I powder coat).

Its amazing to me when these people ask if I can make one 'like that one',, in THAT' color, with a different wording - like a name. DUH,,, That's what I DO'. These are just samples and ideas.

You'll run into a lot of garage sale mentalities there and have to grow a thick skin to deal with them. When they ask if I'll take ten bucks for a twenty five dollar piece, all you can do is smile and tell them that your price is a fair one and will stand. But at least you've got them talking to you so you can point out the selling points and offer customization. Oh, the snarky comebacks I've had running through my mind. 8-)

HOWEVER,,, I've had a lot of folks call me months to a year later asking if I was still cutting signs and 'could I make a bunch of them. My biggest commission jobs were generated from that little $10/week booth. But you must be there every week and maintain that 'presence'.

Over time, your display items will get handled to a point that they just aren't up to your standards. If you see some little kid with lust in his eyes for a car or something that may have become scratched or shopworn - trust your instincts. Giving away an item that isn't selling to a kid will break a lot of ice with his mom. She may be back with a good order next week. You may have to deal with a bunch of her friends looking for their free deals, but again, you've established that presence and got them talking to you.

I just think of it as a marketing/advertising expense and a day in the sun and away from the shop.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Wicked is right. It's all in the promotion.
In the gangster movies there is always someone who says 'I know a guy......'. BE that guy!

A buddy of mine has a wife who works at City Hall. They wanted to fill their convention gift bags with something made in Laramie. She was on the committee and popped up with; "I know a guy...". It was a PITA but generated a good check and now there are more people who have me on their list of 'guys they know'.
0331121943.jpg
Network and have that "elevator speech" on the tip of your tongue where ever you go. If someone asks what you do for a living, whip out some pocket sized thing, like a key-chain do-dad and let them handle it.

This is an example of what being 'that guy' can generate;
38 for the Girls Golf Team (Univ. Wyo)
40 for the UW Booster Club
42 for the Golf Course
60 for the Christmas list of a member of the Board of Trustees.
All from a chance meeting of the Girls' Golf coach in a hallway.

Golf Tee Marker.
DSCN1701.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”