Table stopped moving neep help

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Table stopped moving neep help

Post by jeeplogic83 »

I have a Practical CNC table with servo motors. Yesterday I was cutting some copper and all of a sudden the x axis stopped moving. everything works except the x axis. I stopped the machine turned it off and back on, the x worked in manual mode for about 2 seconds jumped and stopped moving again. I opened the control box and there seems to no damage to the control board or driver. I have had problems with the x axis driver in the past but when it fails it usually slams into the side of the machine because the motor gets no input from the driver and ramps up to full speed. I am at a loss. I can call Precision Automated Equipment (the new owners of Practical CNC)for $75.00 before they even answer a tech question, but I thought you guys may be able to help. any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Greg
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Table stopped moving neep help

Post by Scratch »

Same exact thing happened to me a few years ago (except I'm not sure if it moved in manual mode...) It was a cable problem for me. switch the X cable and the y cable and see if the problem switches to the other axis. If so, make a new cable.

Hope this is the problem for you.... Good luck
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Also could be a bad encoder, switch those around next.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Thanks Scratch, I will try that tomorrow (at work today) any one else have any Ideas, I have to get this order finished.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

I tried switching cables and nothing worked. I am assuming that the routex drive in the x axis has gone bad again. this will be the third time. I just got off the phone with PAE the new owners of practical cnc and they want 60.00/hour to maybe tell me if they can fix the problem, but it will 6-8 weeks. and they will not guarantee if they can fix it before I pay there tech support 60.00/hour. I am totally screwed by the looks of it. Has anyone converted there practical machine to run on mach 3 software? I could really use some help here guys.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Might want to call DynaCNC. I think they have an easy way of converting the Practical table to run on Mach 3. I could be wrong, but it's worth a shot.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Has anybody dealt with CandCNC, Tom Caudett (sp ?) is the guy I was talking to he seems to know his stuff, and his retrofit is a direct bolt on to my machine. it runs Mach 3 with sheet cam. I plan on ordering tomorrow unless someone has any other ideas.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Actually that is the company I was thinking about. I haven't dealt with them, but I've heard a bunch have. (from CNCZone.com)
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

Just as a reference, TomC from cancnc is top notch to deal with. I have ran CNC and plasma and built machines for years and I can tell you he knows his stuff.

His products are top notch as well.

(;-) TP
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Thanks for the help guys. I called Tom at CandCNC today and ordered the plas-pac 1a I got the 4th motor to either do a dual motor drive or a rotary axis. not sure which one yet. I would like to do the 4th axis for tube cutting any body know where to get some good tube cutting software that won't break the bank.
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by trucks1948 »

Hey Greg,could you let me know how the mach and sheetcam work for you?I have an older practical table and am thinking about buying an Mp thc3000 from candcnc and it uses mach3.thanks Jim
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I'd be interested in how it all works out too. Someday I may switch over.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

I will take lots of pics. I will post them on my site and do a editorial like I did with my powder coat oven. I am sure there are lots of Practical customers that would like THC that actually works.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

O.K. Every thing is at the house. there was a slight shipping error (missing one motor) :? but quickly taken care of by Tom at CandCNC. So far every thing is straight bolt on, as far as the hardware install. I have only had to make one small mod to get a motor to fit on the x axis. This weekend I plan on installing the mach software and tuning the motors for the table. If there is any one with Mach 3 experience please feel free to give any advice that can make this process less painful. Better yet if there is anyone with Mach 3 experience in the west michigan area, beer and food is free at my house this weekend :D . I will take lots of pics and maybe some video to keep all interested up to speed.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sorry I have no Mach 3 experience, but what exactly did you replace with Toms stuff?

Servos
cabling
that ugly PCNC servo controller box
Dumped WinCNC for Mach3
THC
I know you said you had a small mod to get a motor to fit, but what about all the gears, belts and mounts and stuff. Did you have to replace any of that stuff.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Scratch,
I replaced everything that was electronic from practical. I had to recess two bolts on the x axis motor mounting plate. I ended up going with a hi-bred servo/stepper package. The ugly servo box is gone, replaced with gecko drives and control box that looks professionally built and not built by terrorists I kept all the drive gears from practical and plan on tuning the motors to the practical drive ratio. I will be replacing the x and y axis with steppers and using a servo for the z axis because of the increased speed of the servo motor. I will also be using a servo on the rotary axis which is not yet built. replacing the motors and limit switches was the easy part only took about 2 hours to make sure every thing bolted up. The next 3 days will be the difficult part tuning the motors and making sure every thing is functioning properly. I thought I was going to have help this weekend but my peeps bailed out due to Easter. I do have a brain child 15 year old daughter that will be helping with the set up and trouble shooting of Mach 3 (the problem with smart children is they make you look stupid). :x when every thing is said and done I will write up a long post with pics to explain the process.
BTW the belt part #'s I sent you were correct fit like a glove.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”