On-Hand Raw Material

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
PineLane
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

On-Hand Raw Material

Post by PineLane »

Not sure if I can convey the question, but I'll try...still kinda new to the biz side and trying to figure out the best way.

Scenario...Customer calls and wants x number of pieces cut out of Y gauge. I calc. the purchase price, purchase the steel, cut the parts and get paid. Everybody's happy. On this particular order...I used only 1/2 of that 4x8 sheet. That 4x4 goes into my inventory for a time period...say a couple months. Two month later, a different customer comes in and wants a number of pieces cut from the same Y gauge, but the leftover 4x4 sheet is not enough to cover the order, so I go and purchase another 4x8 sheet. Due to the market, the price has drastically changed and has increased/decreased, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep track of a bunch of 1/2 sheets, 1/4's, whatever and the the price associated with THAT piece of material, so I don't either under or overcharge on THAT particular sheet of material

That's my question...how to keep track and associate which price goes with what material ? If I pay more for the first sheet and the next sheet purchased a few month's later is less...I'm losing money if I charge the 4x4 sheet at the new lower price.

I know...my description is a bit confusing, but I'm trying to figure out how to best keep track of pieces of whole sheets and the price associated with each, so to minimize loss.

Thanks
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: On-Hand Raw Material

Post by CNCCAJUN »

For any calculations, regardless of your mark-up, you should always view on hand material from a "current real replacement cost" prospective.
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

The material you have in stock is just that, it is STOCK, which goes up and down with value regardless of purchase price. This goes true for when you figure out inventory costs and net business worth. So, if you want to play it safe if you will, and the customers will pay it, then you try to balance this out with your mark up. If you really are afraid to keep it around, you could have the customer buy the whole sheet and give them the second half.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Yep always charge what it would cost you to replace your material used. Here the prices normally don't go up or down to much. I always buy 5-6 sheets when i make a metal run.
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

The term buy low sell high works if you got room to store material. Buy it in bulk when material cost is low, and then as you use it it may go up in price, may stay same. Hopefully you make out better.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
PineLane
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PineLane »

Appreciate the responses. Makes sense after having it explained...thanks !
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

I always charge current price on steel. I use the spreadsheet that I posted on here several years back. When calculating the price of an item the price for the steel is calculated at 150% of current cost. When I calculate the size of an item I basically draw a rectangle around the item regardless of the shape and use those measurements as the basis for the amount of steel used. Actually I usually add 1/2" to it. By the time I get 1/2 sheet of steel left over it has usually paid for itself many times over.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”