Jobs other than arty stuff

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Jobs other than arty stuff

Post by beefy »

I get a little surprised sometimes at what appears to be a blind focus on just art type cutting, markets, etc.

Does anyone look for work in other areas: sheet metal shops, steel fabrication mobs, welders, industrial estates, etc. Are there any reasons not to look for work in these areas. There's got to be people and businesses all over the place looking for parts with a purpose. I know finding those is easier said than done however.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Jobs other than arty stuff

Post by grindergary »

Keith,
I'm a structural fabricator. The art stuff is just for fun for me.

I have found work all over. Word of mouth seems the norm around here.

I have a few customers who supply material for the oil and gas fields. My newest surprise is companies that do telecom tower installations and addons. I get a lot of plate parts for them as well as angles with a bunch of holes in them.

I have cut stuff for a few sheet metal shops, usually when they want duct in 10 ga. The odd time I get work from the construction company down the road wanting replacement plates for their equipment.

So yes, there is other areas of work. Sometimes, getting in the door is the hardest part of all.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

My 2 cents . . . In my area there are over 1/2 dozen CNC cutting outfits, water jet, laser & plasma. Typically these guys don't want the business I am seeking. They don't want to do parts for people, i.e.... four wheel parts, car parts, motorcycle parts, etc. For them these are losers. It breaks the rhythm of there shop just as much a new large industrial job coming in, but no profit after they see their whole crew stop working to come over and see the new headache rack you want cut. So my intention is to profit from what they can not & do art type stuff along with a few products I have planned to make. The only real down falls I see from industrial customers are sometimes:

1. they soon represent a larger % of your business than is safe to allow.
2. you will find yourself competing with the big boys on price without the manpower or capable equipment.
3. you will find yourself turning away or stalling small customers so that you can make delivery to the big guy.
4. you will gradually increase the $$$ you keep on hand in materials. Some that only they can use.
5. if you are like many of us and flying under the radar, those company trucks in and out will bring unwanted attention.
6. if working from home it will be hard to convince your homeowners insurance company that this is a HOBBY.

There is more . . .
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks very much Gary & Steve,

very interesting information, and definitely gave me a few things to consider.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

CNCCAJUN wrote:My 2 cents . . . In my area there are over 1/2 dozen CNC cutting outfits, water jet, laser & plasma. Typically these guys don't want the business I am seeking. They don't want to do parts for people, i.e.... four wheel parts, car parts, motorcycle parts, etc. For them these are losers. It breaks the rhythm of there shop just as much a new large industrial job coming in, but no profit after they see their whole crew stop working to come over and see the new headache rack you want cut. So my intention is to profit from what they can not & do art type stuff along with a few products I have planned to make. The only real down falls I see from industrial customers are sometimes:

2. you will find yourself competing with the big boys on price without the manpower or capable equipment.
3. you will find yourself turning away or stalling small customers so that you can make delivery to the big guy.
4. you will gradually increase the $$$ you keep on hand in materials. Some that only they can use.
5. if you are like many of us and flying under the radar, those company trucks in and out will bring unwanted attention.
6. if working from home it will be hard to convince your homeowners insurance company that this is a HOBBY.

There is more . . .
Steve
the funny thing about people doing things under the table is there paranoid. and they act and do suspicious things , which intern makes you look like youre doing something illegal. a accountant told me you you don't have to start a business until you can turn a profit. you don't pay taxes if you don't make a profit .the other thing is the government doesn't come looking for you. what might happen is you tick someone off and they turn you in. it could happen but doubt full . so quit worrying and don't act like youre doing something you aren't suppose to do .
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

abmagrum wrote:
CNCCAJUN wrote:My 2 cents . . . In my area there are over 1/2 dozen CNC cutting outfits, water jet, laser & plasma. Typically these guys don't want the business I am seeking. They don't want to do parts for people, i.e.... four wheel parts, car parts, motorcycle parts, etc. For them these are losers. It breaks the rhythm of there shop just as much a new large industrial job coming in, but no profit after they see their whole crew stop working to come over and see the new headache rack you want cut. So my intention is to profit from what they can not & do art type stuff along with a few products I have planned to make. The only real down falls I see from industrial customers are sometimes:

There is more . . .
Steve
the funny thing about people doing things under the table is there paranoid. and they act and do suspicious things , which intern makes you look like youre doing something illegal. a accountant told me you you don't have to start a business until you can turn a profit. you don't pay taxes if you don't make a profit .the other thing is the government doesn't come looking for you. what might happen is you tick someone off and they turn you in. it could happen but doubt full . so quit worrying and don't act like youre doing something you aren't suppose to do .
I have no desire to beat the government out of anything. My mention of "under the radar" refers to those of us that have a HOME BASED shop. Your neighbors, whether it is shop envy, plain jealousy, or just a$$holes will use the commercial traffic against you very quickly. Sales volume & taxes are not a problem, neighbors are. Besides, I want the right off for a losing business too, maybe I would get to keep some of my income from my job. :-)

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

you will get a good right off . you shouldn't have anything to worry about , unless you are deed restricted.
or youre neighbors are really big arsholes.

people do business out of there houses all the time. if you are that worried check into a variance .
the insurance company doesn't care , in fact youre insurance may be cheaper.

I have a lawn business done it for 30 years out of my house. they told me I couldn't do it. applied for a variance they gave me permission to build a building 4 times the size of the house. which is not allowed .
all they want is there money.

here you can run a business out of youre house . you just cant hang a shingle.
in the city of Toledo ohio just about every other house has a home business.

the government passed a law a while back so you could start a small business out of youre house. I think its called the cottage act. they encourage you to start a business out of youre house hoping you will go big.

you can only have a business loss for 2 to 3 years so keep that in mind. but you will get to write off a ton of expenses so that is good.
its easier to explain this in person. I just know by seeing 1000,s of people running business out of there houses and knowing there not paying taxes. nobody is coming for you.
trust me they only look for the people trying to do it right. they nickel and dime you then.

keep it neat and clean and no signage you should be good to go.
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

I agree with all you have said . . .

Thanks,
Steve :D
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

abmagrum wrote: the government passed a law a while back so you could start a small business out of youre house. I think its called the cottage act. they encourage you to start a business out of youre house hoping you will go big.
Now that's the type of thinking that helps build a nation. Here in Australia they seem to love red tape. Too many worthless pricks in offices thinking of things we are NOT allowed to do. It makes perfect sense to help someone at the beginning get past the biggest hurdle of all - getting started.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”