How to Increase Kerf

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

How to Increase Kerf

Post by Stout »

I have a project that is quit large and has a lot of open lines to cut. I'd like to make these lines as wide as possible for light transmission. It's 12 gauge material. Any thoughts?

Maybe run an 80 amp nozzle at 40 amp speed?
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How to Increase Kerf

Post by tnbndr »

You could use double or triple lines spaced very close so that all the material would blow away. Of course this would increase cut time also.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

Make your cut height higher, it'll make the arc wider, or make all of your open paths closed. Basically offset your open path however big you want your opening, say 1/4", and then close the two ends, maybe with an arc or radius so it is rounded slightly. I attached an example.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
Stout

Post by Stout »

I'm trying to get the kerf up to about .100"-.120". It's .080" right now. Using a double pass at a close distance will cause arc voltage to drop and torch collisions. Or loss of arc because the arc will only have about .020" of material to keep it going.

I'm wondering about increasing the cut height. Does anyone have any experience with running the 80 amp nozzles at 40 amps? From what I have read, the amps determine kerf. Although the lager nozzles have a larger outlet. Guess I'll have to test it.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
Stout

Post by Stout »

I just called Hypertherm support. I guess I earned unusual question of the week. They suggested a gouging nozzle. Hadn't thought of that.

More testing.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I was just going to suggest using a gouging nozzle as well. You will have to use a much higher arc voltage, lower air pressure, lower speeds.

Jim Colt
Stout

Post by Stout »

After some test cuts, I went with an 80 amp nozzle set to 60 amps and arc voltage set to 155 which brought the nozzle up to about .200". Kerf widened up to about where I wanted them to be. Cut speed was not changed. I did change the material to 14 gauge.

Here's preliminary shot of the artwork with a droplight behind it. No cleaned up yet so the cuts should open up just a bit more after dross removal. The piece is 95" wide and 36" tall for reference.

Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Why not just cut wider lines by using the contour tool - oops - there I am assuming things again - do you use CorelDraw?
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Stout

Post by Stout »

plain ol Bill wrote:Why not just cut wider lines by using the contour tool - oops - there I am assuming things again - do you use CorelDraw?
I do use CorelDraw and covered that in post 4. The cut lines would be too close which causes arc voltage to drop and torch collisions.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

14ga ?? Simply use a fine cut nozzle and DRAW the contour to a double Kerf width slot. If your kerf width is .050 then the slot becomes .100"wide when cut.

When modifying the drawing just do an offset of the cut line and add a loop around on one end

You will not loose the arc IF you are cutting at the proper height. At least here with a HT torch we don't.

AND you end up with very detailed cuts instead of a torch cutting TOO HIGH. Remember rule #1 proper cut height is everything in Plasma cutting quality.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

I used the contour tool today to cut some .70 wide lines using normal fine cut consumables w/ my Powermax 1250. Used the THC and it maintained height and cut voltage just fine.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Stout

Post by Stout »

I'll look into it. I've been doing this for about 10 years and have never used fine cut nozzles. Well, in my defense, I've only had the Hypertherm system for about 2 years and the Esab didn't have fine nozzles. The image below is the final product showing the kerf with single pass being used. The slots are in fact different widths due to the height control being disable on shorter arcs and then enabled on straight cuts. I was shooting from the hip on the cut parameters, but I do like it. And it can only get better.

Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

very nice job.
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”