So you think you can make money in metalart ?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Sampson Jones
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

So you think you can make money in metalart ?

Post by Sampson Jones »

image.jpg
Here you go 3 d item , multiple colors , available at Lowes .

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: So you think you can make money in metalart ?

Post by minnfatz »

I have people tell me all the time that I should make this or that, but after a little investigation, 90% of the time there is something very similar being made in China for less than I can sell it for. Sometimes it is being made here in the states by a small time guy like me, but they can do it cheaper than I can as well. It's all about finding a niche.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

As I work on getting my table made, I am constantly looking for these pieces anywhere I can. Just yesterday, while at Home Depot, (my 2nd home) I made a point to snap shots of the metal wreath holders that were in the large Xmas Display section. They were well done, but then I thought about the average buyer that would probably pay double to have their last name personalized into the artwork.

Fortunately, I am not in the position of being forced to make money in this way, yet, but if I decide to go that route, I will work extra hard to sell the customers on the pieces being unique.

A little trick I'll pass along... if you treat it like art instead of copying Chinese-cheap, and spend a little extra time playing up that aspect with marketing, your customers willing to pay premiums will come.

I plan to sell "Artist's Proof's" of all my larger pieces and then offering smaller versions for the masses. It's a well recognized way in the Art world to raise values by touting "limited editions" of anything you do and producing larger qty's of smaller replica's. If ever there was a medium well suited to producing smaller versions of "one of a kind" items, it's anything using CNC.

Anyways, just my .02

Capstone
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

You don't want customers that bring up how cheap that junk is those people want something for free. You can't get a custom piece from china or a nice durable finish. The best advice i can give it start powder coating your pieces people love shiny stuff and its not hard to do.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”