plasma table at sema 2013

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

plasma table at sema 2013

Post by _Ogre »

i wasn't able to go to sema this year, but the boss did.
he said hypertherm had a nice self contained down draft 2x2 plasma table in their booth.
hopefully someone can post some pictures or a video of the table in operation.
the boss thought the table was a pretty slick setup.
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: plasma table at sema 2013

Post by I Lean »

Would that be the little GoTorch machine Jim Colt has? He posted pictures somewhere....
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

This is the one I'm thinking of, shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jDmZog_ ... load_owner

If that's the one you're referring to, here's what Jim said about the fume control:
The fume control is my design, uses a water tray prefilter to trap the majority of fume particles then two Torit weld fume filters to remove the finer particles. These filters are expensive ($90 each) but can be cleaned and reused. There is a 1200 cfm fan on the rear of the table that pulls the air through the filters. For high production use this system would require filter cleaning a few times daily. For trade shows and occasional use it works very well. This is a small 2' x 2' cutting table.

Jim Colt
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

My son and I built the downdraft table for the SEMA show as there was no other good way to provide nice cut quality without smoke billowing out of the table....which generally gets you shut down at a show. Other suppliers at the show had water tables....and they had height control issues and cut quality issues. This one is a hybrid with water 8" below the plate (no splashing, no mess), then a side draft flow to the left and right (1200cfm) that pulls the rest of the smoke (not captured by the water) through two Torit welding fume filters. Without the water removing most of the smoke we would have had to clean or change the filters often.....with this setup we cut for 4 days on one set of filters, on the last day near the end of the day we were getting traces of smoke. We were cutting 1/4" steel plate, a bit of 12 and 10 gauge steel as well. Hypertherm Powermax65.

Hypertherm manufactures plasma cutters from 30 to 800 amps, Fiber laser cutters to 3 kW, as well as abrasive water jet pumps and accesories, we also produce industrial machine CNC controls, plasma torch height controls and CAM Nesting software. We do not build cnc cutting machines so for this show we chose a slightly disguised PlasmaCam Go Torch 2 x 2 machine to demonstrate the Powermax65 cut quality on a low cost machine. The total package...if you bought the Go Torch (upgraded to advanced software and full function height control), Powermax65 and the hybrid fume control table would be in the $12,500 to $13,000 range.

Jim Colt

First pic in in my sons shop, second is at the SEMA show.
ready.jpg
machine at show.jpg

_Ogre wrote:i wasn't able to go to sema this year, but the boss did.
he said hypertherm had a nice self contained down draft 2x2 plasma table in their booth.
hopefully someone can post some pictures or a video of the table in operation.
the boss thought the table was a pretty slick setup.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

HIYA JIM, Have you ever tried pulling the air through a short waterfall arrangement. No filters to clean and very clean air output.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

vmax549 wrote:HIYA JIM, Have you ever tried pulling the air through a short waterfall arrangement. No filters to clean and very clean air output.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
That would be what we call a "wet scrubber" . . . any chance you would share how you configured this?

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I experimented with it, but it tended to wet the filter elements and caused them to quickly clog...I'm sure it could be configured to work.

Jim

vmax549 wrote:HIYA JIM, Have you ever tried pulling the air through a short waterfall arrangement. No filters to clean and very clean air output.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

My son did most of the work and has a lot of hours in this design, he has a number of potential customers.....so I doubt that he would be interested in sharing all of his design ideas. The one at the show was a prototype, he is already making some design changes before offering these units for sale. It will be offered as a welder and grinding downdraft table as well as a plasma cutting table. The original one was configured for grinding and welding and has been in use succesully for a number of months.

Jim

CNCCAJUN wrote:

Just a thought, (;-) TP
That would be what we call a "wet scrubber" . . . any chance you would share how you configured this?

Steve
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Cool looking table Jim, great idea, and good luck with your new venture. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

thanks for posting the pics jim. i had seen the one in your shop, but figured you had the table spit shined for sema.
nice work. tell your son too :D
scott saw it at sema and said ''no smoke'' you were cutting a wheel spacer at the time.
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”