My Files Sent to Someone Else to Cut

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

My Files Sent to Someone Else to Cut

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Just discovered today a customer is sending my files to someone else to cut. My current process is create the dxf file then use BRAVA DWG VIEWER to create a jpg file and send that file to the customer. Is there something I can do to stop this from happening or how do you guys protect your work and keep this from happening? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
pertneer
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: My Files Sent to Someone Else to Cut

Post by pertneer »

Are the dimensions on the file you are sending? If they are remove them. You can also add a watermark to the image so the other contractor can at least see it is someone's work. That will at least slow them down, but it will never stop them. Even an image most people on here can convert to a file to cut relatively easy.
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

I take a picture of my screen with my phone and send that to the customer. I call it a "Proof".
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

A scanned PDF with an ADOBE WATERMARK is the worst nightmare you can send a thief . . .

Steve :lol:
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

Sure there is a very easy way to solve the problem STOP doing business with THAT customer AND TELL HIM WHY. He is robbing you blind. Now if you continue to do business with him then LOOK in the mirror and you will see your problem.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Off the top of my head:

Get paid for your design time before they get a copy of your work. At least you wouldn't work for completely free.

All communication has some form of dated tracing. Emails or whatever. Statements in your emails that all work is copyrighted, is your property, etc. Perhaps there is a way where the "customer" agrees via a tick box. Lots of web sites have these and it seems it's a legal way of proving you agreed to something. Don't know the setup though.
Tom from Candcnc said he always used to communicate via email so that when a customer said something like, "That's not what I wanted", he just showed them the email.

Watermarks.

Skew images, although they can probably be unskewed in software, but at least it adds to the difficulty.

If you know the other guy that is doing the cutting, call him and see if he has any ethics, and will refuse to do the work.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Guys thank you for your input!
I have never used a watermark. will have to figure out the process?
Steve are you saying email a scanned dwg with a watermark from Adobe?
Keith what do you mean "skew images?

Thanks again, Jim
pertneer

Post by pertneer »

"Skew images" = distort drawing in some way as to not allow tracing via software to steal your designs.

If you have adobe acrobat you can create a watermark in a file you create. You can also do this with images if you have a software to edit images, such as photoshop.
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

Export the file as a low resolution .jpg. I have never and will never send a vector based file of my proposal.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”