plasmacam question

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
ironhorse
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

plasmacam question

Post by ironhorse »

I was just wondering if anyone has successfully cut mild steel plate without using the height sensor? Can it be done successfully?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: plasmacam question

Post by weldor2005 »

plate, sure. there isn't a lot of distortion to plate, just manually set the z height. and then you wont have the ability to raise and lower between cuts.

Thinner stuff than plate will have some bow in it and that might cause some issues with this practice.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

weldor2005 wrote:plate, sure. there isn't a lot of distortion to plate, just manually set the z height. and then you wont have the ability to raise and lower between cuts.

Thinner stuff than plate will have some bow in it and that might cause some issues with this practice.
Thanks for that. I am attempting 1/4 " plate using powermax 30 can you suggest an adjustment for z height? And should I be adjusting the arc voltage? Thanks I sure appreciate your help.

Greg
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

I'm sorry, I do not have a PM30, but looking at the specs in the manual, everything has a stand off distance at 0.06", so that would be my starting point. Then I would try 30ipm, and no clue about the voltage.

You would have best luck getting suggested specs from Jim, as I have not tried this setup before. I do know that you should be able to get a fairly consistent height on the plate without THC. Of course having it, I would recommend it.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

Thank you so much for your suggestions. :-)
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

OK, here is where i am at with the settings for 1/4" but as you can see in the pictures I got a long way to go, the dross is super bad. Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Greg
Attachments
Dross Side.jpg
Front Side.jpg
Settings for quarter Inch.jpg
Settings for quarter Inch.jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Sorry I don't have a cut chart for PM35 only a 45. Assuming that 1/4" is within the spectrum of a PM35 looking at your kerf width and dross I would suggest your cut height is way too high and pierce height way too low. Pierce is generally done at about 250% of cut height. PM45 lists the cut height as 0.06 (half of what you have), try dropping it down and a pierce height of 0.15 (double what you have). Also piercing at that height you have possibly already killed your nozzle so have a look at it to make sure the orifice is round.
Murray
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

Lol... oh yea I burnt the nozel. Ok I am gonna ghange as you suggest. Wish me luck lol. Thank you so much.

Greg
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

muzza wrote:Sorry I don't have a cut chart for PM35 only a 45. Assuming that 1/4" is within the spectrum of a PM35 looking at your kerf width and dross I would suggest your cut height is way too high and pierce height way too low. Pierce is generally done at about 250% of cut height. PM45 lists the cut height as 0.06 (half of what you have), try dropping it down and a pierce height of 0.15 (double what you have). Also piercing at that height you have possibly already killed your nozzle so have a look at it to make sure the orifice is round.
Murray

Ok tried those settings and definatly an improvenent but still a ton of slag. I try set the cut height to 0.06 but my machine changes it automaticly to 0.056 not to sure why I can't change that lol.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

PowerMax-30 settings for .25" plate that worked for me.
Settings for .25 plate.jpg
Settings for .25 plate.jpg (143.05 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
Settings for .25 plate example.jpg
Settings for .25 plate example.jpg (134.96 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Well that second one is a heck of a lot better.

It is changing it automatically to adjust for your Z shift setting.

Does look alot cleaner cut this time though. Sorry that you have to do trial and error for this one.

Also, if you do not use THC, then I recommend cutting tread plate with the treads down, so that you have a flat unobstructed surface for the cutting head.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

weldor2005 wrote:Well that second one is a heck of a lot better.

It is changing it automatically to adjust for your Z shift setting.

Does look alot cleaner cut this time though. Sorry that you have to do trial and error for this one.

Also, if you do not use THC, then I recommend cutting tread plate with the treads down, so that you have a flat unobstructed surface for the cutting head.
If you are referring to mine, I WAS using THC with the tread down.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

Again, thanks all for the advice and again, thanks dano. Those settings really helped me get a start point to successfully wrap up the job. All the best everyone... This site is amazing and surely worth a whole lot more than $20.00 for membership. It's people like you that don't mind taking a moment out of their time to share some advice or share some art that make PlasmaSpider a success.

Greg Brownell
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

You are welcome, and Dano, I didn;t even realize it wasnt posted by Ironhorse, Sorry.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”