Dad's Garage

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Dad's Garage

Post by plain ol Bill »

I cut the Dad's Garage file donated to all of us by Jason today. WOW - what a file, took the machine 30 minutes to complete the cut. 321 pierces! Have any of you that have cut this file figured out what you would have to charge for this in a 24" tall format in 14 ga.? I would be interested in knowing what you would charge for this in bare metal that has just been power wire brushed. :?:
Using my Powermax 1250 with finecuts the file really needs to be a couple of inches larger. There were two small areas that got blown away just a little at the size I cut it.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Dad's Garage

Post by james.davis »

Bill ,
I cut one out messed up the top your right it takes awhile to cut.
Jim
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by drakus »

I've cut it with on 14g at 24x24 with some minor mods to it. i looks better at 36x36.

I forget exactly which areas i fixed to cut it, but some of them were the tires/rims, up my the u joint in top left. some of the lines across the top need to be fixed up.

that is all i can remember off hand.

hint of advice if you cut 24x24, make sure all lines are a min 1/8in (.125) apart.

I get $150 out of it with no questions.
--------------------------------------------------
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
Corel Draw X6 - Adobe CS5
storiesnsteel
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by storiesnsteel »

This one looks great your very talented it would be worth every bit of 150 for sure
Greg From Storiesnsteel
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by drakus »

gcw8 wrote:This one looks great your very talented it would be worth every bit of 150 for sure
I take no claim to designing it. Jason at Free DXF did.

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9410

Here is original post.

I cut it and do some mods to it for people or businesses.

If i ever get around to post one modification I made, what I did is take out the universal and added a paint gun for a local ford dealership that I deal with for all my vehicles.
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

James, did you pint that then clear it?? Looks like it would take a lot of masking for powder.. Looks great :)
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
nccstud
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nccstud »

I made a few changes for the local car club and donated them to a raffle they were having. Here is what I came up with. Took about 16 minutes on the laser at work. 80 bucks for one, but no one in the club wanted to spend the money on them so I'm stuck with 2 of them haha.

hotrodmetal1973
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hotrodmetal1973 »

Drakus
I have been looking at this same piece for a little while. What size was the one that you sold for $150? Thanks.
Wayne
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by drakus »

hotrodmetal1973 wrote:Drakus
I have been looking at this same piece for a little while. What size was the one that you sold for $150? Thanks.
Wayne
24x24 (inches)

36x36 i can sell for around $225

I just sold on that i put a custom car in for a guy, it was '31 5 window coupe drawn from a pic of his car, after time for design/drawing. It sold to him for $500. He had no problems at all with it at that price.
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
SlapNutz Fabrication
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by SlapNutz Fabrication »

drakus wrote:I've cut it with on 14g at 24x24 with some minor mods to it. i looks better at 36x36.

I forget exactly which areas i fixed to cut it, but some of them were the tires/rims, up my the u joint in top left. some of the lines across the top need to be fixed up.

hint of advice if you cut 24x24, make sure all lines are a min 1/8in (.125) apart.

That's funny. I can't get 60 bucks out of the one I've had cut for a couple of months now.
elvenhome21
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by elvenhome21 »

SlapNutz Fabrication wrote:
drakus wrote:I've cut it with on 14g at 24x24 with some minor mods to it. i looks better at 36x36.

That's funny. I can't get 60 bucks out of the one I've had cut for a couple of months now.
Me to, I had a guy come up to me and offer $30 "to take it of my hands" like it was a scrap piece. I about blew a gasket at his arrogance.
Bonzi Metalworks
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

My wife and I made this sign for a local body shop that does our clearcoating for free. We gave it to them but already have had inquiries as to what we'd charge for one, which is something we always struggle with. It's approximately 30"x30". We'd been thinking it should be worth at least $250. Any thoughts?

Last spring we made a HOT ROD HIGHWAY sign which was about the same size and finished about the same...priced one like it to an individual WITH HIS MUSTANG in it for $250, and he couldn't get away fast enough! We like making these but if we can't make anything from them we maybe need to be doing something else.

Allen

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Your asking price is very fair, but...for what it's worth, I'd like to add one idea.
If you can incorporate positive space letters in place of the negative space letters, the signs will
have much more impact, be much easier to read & more people interested in shelling out some decent bucks for the work.

Negative space letters just don't have the same level of "cool" that solid, positive space letters do.

Just my 2 cents...

Bill :)
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Bill,
Funny you mentioned that. My wife and I have had several discussions about that same thing. Positive letters in a sign are kinda' like your products....makes em' pop.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Allen

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”