Average Start up costs for a new start

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
aometalart
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Average Start up costs for a new start

Post by aometalart »

Hey ya'll,
Been a little while since I was here. Been working my tail off on business plans and such for start up. First, thanks to everyone on this site for all the insite and knowledge you so freely share as it is invaluable. I just want ya'll to know it is greatly appreciated.

I have a few questions I need some help with if anyone is game? Our business is family run and on our own property so we are blessed with no building rental and such. However, as you know, the major expense is our holy grail the cnc table and associated equipment, which is the major part of our budget. This being said, on to the questions:

1. Is a $50K start up budget reasonable? What was your ballpark amt.?

2. What would you estimate the first 2 years of income (Gross Sales / year) at based on your experience?

3. What are the challenges in your market area? Gowing? Shrinking? Why?

4. What product price point range average (example $20 -$200) does your market bear and what seems to be the max?

5. Web site cost and who to use? (I'm a welder not a computer pro.)

6. Any other advice?

The answers to these questions will greatly help me solidify my numbers and put the finishing touches on our plan so we can proceed to the funding phase.

So, in advance I want to thank any and all that put your 2 cents worth in. We are now living in N. Alabama and itchin to start turnin and burnin. Its a labor of love for us and there is nothin like taking raw material and making a finished piece of art out of it. I come from a welding background, owned a custom wrought iron business in the NW part of the states, and am now on to this new adventure.

Sincerely I thank YOU ALL!!!
Randy
AOMETALART
natewelding
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Average Start up costs for a new start

Post by natewelding »

depends on what you plan on making/doing. the pricing will be based on where you live. something that's worth 20$ you might be able to sell for more, or less depending on what people are willing to spend. web costs are the same, you can spend a little or a lot (you get what you pay for) as is anything in this industry I feel. if you're planning on doing metal art, look into seeing if anyone else in the area is doing the same thing, if there aren't then you're going to need to do some marketing to get your name and products out there. word of mouth works very well I have found, give out a few small free things and be kind, you'd be surprised at how far and how much business it'll bring you. hope that helps, any more questions feel free to ask.
aometalart
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by aometalart »

Thanks for your response natewelding. We've always believed in service with a smile and treat others with kindness and we agree kindness goes a long way. We are located in N. Alabama and metal art is not unheard of in the area, so, we won't be breaking new ground. However, we are looking forward to this new adventure. We used to do custom European style wrought iron and service is the name of the game.

Everyone else, please chime in..........
AOMETALART
fergy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by fergy »

ok then
don't forget your $20 dollar subscription to the best plasma website :lol:

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”