Cad Cam

General software related questions should be posted here.
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cad Cam

Post by CPK_Jim »

Just wondering what cad cam program you guys use? I have been using powerstation and it is just too buggy and outdated. I am looking for a new one, got any suggestions? I currently draw in a sign program output a dxf and then load it into the cad cam for toolpath generation. Is there a better way?

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cad Cam

Post by admin »

Hey Jim

I use both Autodesk Inventor and Corel Draw.

Corel Draw is very powerful and easy to use once you get the hang of it and that is what I recommend for someone like yourself. It's good for just about everything.

I am concerned about your cad cam software opening the dxf files from Corel and would hate for you to buy it then find it won't work. I could send you a sample file to try to make sure that it will be compatible with your setup.

admin
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

What is autodesk inventor? cad cam? graphics?

Also Ive heard mixed opinions on the corel, is there one version better than the other?

Jim
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Jim I use Corel Draw V.12 for all my art work and some structural parts also. Autosketch gets used for some structural things but not often. I export a .DXF file and open it in Sheetcam. Sheetcam generates the G code. Mach3 is the controlling program for the plasma table.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

I will have to check out sheetcam i think thats what im looking for. I also run Mach 3. I think the sign program we use for the drawing portion works well. Is corel over complicated? The sign program seem to have everything needed and without too much extra stuff. It also works out well because its the same software that runs our vinyl cutter.

Jim
chipper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member
Location: Extreme Northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle... Not Texas, China either....

Post by chipper »

I have heard rave reviews of sheetcam, and solid edge 2.5d for sketching.

Solid edge is totally free...I have played with it a bit, and if it were my checkbook, that's the way I'd go.

Sheetcam is very reasonably priced, and you can't beat the price for solidedge...at least play with it before you jump out and buy something that does the same thing.

On edit: Of course, since you already know your signmaking software, and use it, there's probably no need in using up megabytes for anything else for sketching :oops:
I usually say..."keep the chips flyin' " ...but on this board, "sparks" would fit better!!
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

Thanks guys,

I have tried and bought the sheetcam, works great and exactly what I was looking for!

Jim

Return to “General Discussion”