40V Max at Torch?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 40V Max at Torch?

Post by tcaudle »

Eric - Plasma wrote:So I unpluged the connector for arc ok and torch fire from the PWM. Fired the hand torch with it's switch and the VOLTAGE WORKS! :)

So next I tried a few things to check what resulted:

Switched The raw volts input to the RAV card back to the Hypertherm J15 +J16 connectors = Works
Connected the PWM back up and removed the input arc ok and torch switch wires into the RAV = Not Working
Reconnect everything then removed arc Ok wires from PWM side = Works
Jumpered arc Ok at PWM = Works
Jumpered arc Ok at RAV input = Not working
Ran new arc Ok wires from RAV to PWM = Not Working
Back to original then removed just arc ok wires into RAV = Broken
Back to original then removed just torch switch wires into RAV = Broken

So I thought the arc ok and torch switch signals were separate from the Voltage divider in the RAV card but seems they are not.

Finally getting somewhere thanks sphutley!
Arc ok and Torch swtich on the RAV card are stight passthrough to the 4 wide cable. They are simply a convinet place to connect them instead of running them all the way upto the ARC OK and TORCH Switch at the PWM . They are not connected to ANYTHING in the voltage divider circuit. If your 1000 has the rear CPC conenctor and you have the MIC-01 then you dont even need to connect the terminals down at the RAV card...you simply use the CPC connecot and cable into the same 4 wide connector on the PWM

make sure the arc ok screw termnals on the RAV cage are connected one to one witht he ARC OK input pins (labeld) at the PWM
IMPORTANT. IF by chance this setup was ever used with a MUCH older Sensor card the ARC was modified and turn into a volage source instead of drycontacts. Find the User manual for the 1000 and tunr to apre 3-14. Make sure the black jumper is set to factory default and NOT for the drigning extgernal relay configuration. That puts 24VDC onthe ARC OK

If the Arc ok and torch switch wires got swapped the torch would not fire and you would get weird ARC OK action.

Its obvious that something is wired wrong beacuse the ARCOK at the RAV is the EXACT same two wires as the ARC OK on the PWM connector.
Shorting themat the RAV should be the same thing as shorting themat the PWM.

Once again the RAV connections are just a passthough so you have screw terminals inside to connect to the signals. They connect to nothing else on the RAV card
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

PM1000_3_14.pdf
(156.82 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Thanks Tom I'm sure you nailed it.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

sphurley wrote:Do you have the Arc OK and Torch going to the RAV01 and then the jumper from the RAV to the PWM?
Have you tried running the wiring from the plasma straight to the PWM (this is how it works on my PM65)
Yes I have the the Arc OK and Torch going to the RAV01 and then the jumper from the RAV to the PWM. My Powermax 1000 has a rear CPC Connector but I read that it will not output the torch start siginal does not work with a hand torch. So I just wired directly to the RAV card.

I did not yet try running directly, bypassing the RAV card. Wasn't 100% sure this was okay so I'll try that. Quite certain it will work fine going that route.
tcaudle wrote:make sure the arc ok screw termnals on the RAV cage are connected one to one witht he ARC OK input pins (labeld) at the PWM
They are in the proper places.
tcaudle wrote: Make sure the black jumper is set to factory default and NOT for the drigning extgernal relay configuration. That puts 24VDC onthe ARC OK
Since I purchased used I did double check the relay configuration and it was still set to be a dry contact.

When running the Arc okay and torch start both functioned fine.

Maybe there is a short in the card where the arc okay passes though?
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

I'll double check that the Hypertherms arc okay configuration is correct tomorrow.
Last edited by Eric - Plasma on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

So taking a look at the manual again. It states how to Change XFER (start machine motion) from dry contact closure to
voltage signal but it doesn't show the original configuration.

To go back to a dry contact the Black wire should be at the BLK terminal and the GND / 24VDC terminals are left empty...correct? Jumper is not used.
I'm at work so I can't check it but think I remember seeing a jumper somewhere on mine.

Although I am not overly convinced it's going to be the issue since this morning I removed the ARC OK and torch switch wires from the Powermax 1000 to the RAV card and still had the 40V problem. With with the only wires connecting to the card being from the PWM and Tip voltage from the Hypertherm.
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Yes. Remove the jumper and move black back. The jumper is likely grounding and pulling the torch voltage down
Steve
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

Took at look at the arc ok wiring on my Hypertherm. It is wired for dry contacts. No jumper.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Eric - Plasma wrote:Took at look at the arc ok wiring on my Hypertherm. It is wired for dry contacts. No jumper.
On the RAV : check each wire 1 to 1 back to the PWM connector. Somehow the ARC OK is getting either a voltage on it or is cross wired to the torhc swtich. Since the 4 wide connecor back to the the PWM is only conneced to the 4 screw terminals it shouldbe the same as a direct connection to the PWM 4 wide connector.
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

The wires are correct. I even tired to swap them out with new ones and still have the same issue.
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Well I would bypass the RAV on the Arc and torch and go straight to the PWM card. You don't really need go to RAV first. As said they should just be a pass thru.
If it works then you are good.
Steve
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

I have time to play with my machine today. I'll give the bypass a try.
If it works what does that mean?
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

That means you leave it that way if it works!
Steve
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

Bypassed the RAV card and everything seem to be working fine. :)
Switched to fine cut consumables and it is working well. The 40amp nozzle that I was new before I stared playing around look to be totally fired. So maybe there was also water in the air.
Added an pressure gage at the Hypertherm to make sure the right pressure was entering. I did have to bump up the regulator at bit to compensate.
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

tcaudle what do you think the cause of my problem is? Voltage is reading fine when I bypass the card.
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

Still working fine when card is bypassed. Is my card broken?
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

You may have fried it with voltage running into the arc ok input.
Eric - Plasma
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eric - Plasma »

Never did have voltage running into the card from the arc ok.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”