PM 65 - Code 31

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Ghost
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

PM 65 - Code 31

Post by Ghost »

What do I need to check, change, or do different. I get code 31 a lot on my PM 65. "Consumable stuck"

Maybe the air pressure is too high or to low? I use Hypertherm consumables so that's not the issue and a lot of times they look brand new. I just take them out wipe and put back in and it may cut for hours without a code and it might not last 15 mins???? Also running a good dyer so I feel the air is "good" just need to know what else to check.

Thanks,
Jason
601Metalworks
Richland, MS

Arclight Dynamics 9600
Hypertherm PM65

jason@601metalworks.com
Ghost
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: PM 65 - Code 31

Post by Ghost »

Sorry not code 51 but code 31.
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by grindergary »

I don't show that code in my manual.

I would call tech support. They are very helpful and usually quick with an answer.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Here are the things that will cause the "stuck consumables" error code. It obviously means that the electrode....which needs to pull back away from the nozzle at the beginning of air flow in order to ionize the air....is not properly moving inside the torch.

- Electrode worn beyond its usable life.
- Aftermarket (non Hypertherm) consumables
- worn swirl ring (the swirl ring is the slide bearing that the electrode slides in) these last a long time, however the symptoms of a worn swirl ring is the 0-31 error code.
- Worn out or clogged retaining cap
- Incorrect cut air pressure. Make sure the cut air is set in "Auto" mode.
- Incorrect position on the front panel mode switch....be sure it is in the "cut" position, not gouge or expanded metal.
- Low inlet air pressure under flow conditions. The only way to measure this is to install a pressure gauge at the inlet....and monitor the pressure while air is flowing at the torch. If it runs precariously close to the minimum of 90 psi....this could be a factor in the error code.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG

Ghost wrote:What do I need to check, change, or do different. I get code 31 a lot on my PM 65. "Consumable stuck"

Maybe the air pressure is too high or to low? I use Hypertherm consumables so that's not the issue and a lot of times they look brand new. I just take them out wipe and put back in and it may cut for hours without a code and it might not last 15 mins???? Also running a good dyer so I feel the air is "good" just need to know what else to check.

Thanks,
Jason
Ghost
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ghost »

Thanks for the replies and thanks Jim.

I did call TS this morning and they gave me 3 good points to check, 2 which I han't even tought of just like Jim said above.

I really feel like my problem might be:

"worn swirl ring (the swirl ring is the slide bearing that the electrode slides in) these last a long time, however the symptoms of a worn swirl ring is the 0-31 error code."

Will do come playing around and report back in.

Jason
601Metalworks
Richland, MS

Arclight Dynamics 9600
Hypertherm PM65

jason@601metalworks.com

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”