Knife blank

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Knife blank

Post by gamble »

Anyone have this ? So say the customer provides you with materials, what would you guys charge to cut this ? Would you charge more if it was say titanium or stainless over mild steel even though they are providing the metal?
(it will be 1/8" titanium)
I'll be honest I have no idea what to charge to cut and not sure what to charge for design unless I can find a file that someone else already has.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Anyone have this knife blank?

Post by OTHill »

Knife blade Plasmas cut.dxf
Quickly drew one up.Mostly just eyeballing from your post.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Wow you are fast. It would take me 30 minutes to import that picture into cad and try to try it lol
thank you
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I cheated and didn't even download.I just drew a rectangle about the size of your knife in Corel draw. Than used the circle and 3 point curve tool and roughly drew it in. Nothing to scale. Just highballin eyeballin.Hope you can use it.I know where you are coming from.It has taken countless hours to get to where I'm at today.And so much more to learn.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Karambit style knife. Titanium will make a blade and cuts very easily with a plasma cutter. Unfortunately making a blade from titanium isn't a good idea if you want to cut things well. It just does not get hard enough for a good blade.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Thanks for the help. I tried to use inkscape on my picture in the 1st post and it was horrible, lucky for me I have a plastic copy that the customer gave me and i took a pic of it on white paper and traced it that way. Fooled around for over 20 minutes and got nowhere. Tried again and played for awhile and finally have something decent. I'm literally holding the knife blank up to my computer screen and tracing it. I'm into this for well over an hour already.

how you guys do this stuff so accurately and fast is amazing.Attached is the file, let me know what you guys think.

Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

sometimes it is just easier to re-draw the image from scratch than it is to try and trace it.

This is one of those times. The picture is not clear enough and the image is quite simple that it would only take a couple minutes to just draw it.

Here is how I would do it. I use Corel Draw but from what I have heard, it is quite similar to Inkscape so you could probably do the same steps.

1) Open an new blank drawing in Corel Draw.
2) Import the picture into Corel.
3) Use the Freehand drawing tool. This tool is unique because if you click and hold the left button, it will draw a line like a trace.....but that is not what I do because the lines are never any good and it is very tedious. Instead, use the single click to draw straight lines. But the image is curved? No worry and trust me, this is the fastest way.

Start at the tip of the knife, click to start your line and then go to the next tip underneath. Double click to set the first line and then to continue to the next point, which would be the second point under the knife (see 1st attached image). Do this until you come all the way around the knife to the starting point again, then click on the same point and it should close the object.
redraw-image1.jpg
4) Once you have drawn all the way around, then convert all segments to curves by selecting the NODE tool and then drawing around the entire object to select all nodes. Once all are selected, then click the "Convert to Curves" icon on the top menu bar (see drawing 2 below)
redraw-image2.jpg
5) Now you can start to adjust all your lines to match up with the object. First click off the object to un-select all nodes, then select the middle of one segment and bend it into place so that it is directly over your drawing. Do this for each segment until it fits perfectly. You can also adjust the individual arrows on each node for custom bends or fine tuning each arc (see drawing 3 below). You can also click on the individual node and adjust it as necessary. You can also use the icon's on the top menu bar (next to the "convert to curves" icon) to change the behavior of the nodes, for example: to make your circle around the end smoother and less jaggedy, use the "Smooth Node" or "Symmetrical node" icons.
redraw-image3.jpg
6) Use the circle tool to draw the circle, resize as necessary (see drawing 4 below).
redraw-image4.jpg
7) Delete the original image, leaving the vector drawing, then size it to the size desired, export to DXF and cut.

Hope this helps.

Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Thanks for the tutorial Gamelord, I always learn something new when I read these. In particular this time about dragging the middle of a segment. (it seems to me I knew that, but had forgotten it). In return, here's a couple of tips that I use.
1. I like to use the Polyline tool when I'm drawing a closed object, as I only have to click once on each point, rather than a double click.
2. I also have gotten in the habit of using CTRL-A to select all the nodes on the closed shape, then going to the toolbar and selecting "convert to curve".

I use Coreldraw X7, so I don't know if these ideas work in all versions.
Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Wow that's a huge help! Thank you. I'm going to see what I can find for corel draw. Any version you recommend or is one better than the other?

This is my next piece I need to do. I'm sure this will take me 45 minutes but you guys about 45 seconds lol
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Took me about 6 minutes to draw from scratch.

Here's the steps I took:

1) Open Corel Draw, blank workspace
2) Draw a circle. Hold down the CTRL key while drawing so the circle is perfectly round.
3) Use the contour tool to make an inner circle inside the first one.
4) Break the contour apart.
5) Trim the inner circle out of the outer circle.
6) Use the star tool to draw a star. Size it so that it is barely larger than the inner circle so it doesn't drop out.
7) Draw a lines from the inner apex of one of the sides of the star to the opposite point of the star. Do this for all 5 points. This gives you the two intersecting lines that forms the inner drop-out (see drawing).
star1.jpg
8) Draw the inner drop out using the lines as guides. Space it down a little from the outer side (see drawing).
star2.jpg
9) Use the trim tool to trim the inner drop out shape from the star.
10) Use the "Pick" tool and double click on the drop out. Double clicking will change from sizing to rotating. Move the circle with a dot in it from the center of the drop out piece to the inner corner. Make sure it is right on the corner as close to perfect as possible.
11) Now select the rotate arrows on the outer most point (closest to the circle) and rotate the piece from one leg of the star to the one next to it. Trim it from the star then move it to the next leg, trim etc... repeat for each leg until you have all five drop outs trimmed from the star. When done, delete the drop out and all of the 5 guide lines from the drawing leaving the star and circles which have been trimmed. (see drawing).
star3.jpg
star4.jpg
12) Weld the star to the circles using the weld tool.
13) Draw a small circle in the very center and then weld that to the star. This will give you some spacing so the center is all connected when you cut it out.
14) Size appropriately and then export to DXF and cut. :)

Hope this helps.

Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate CAD
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Wyogreen, thanks for the response. I also use the CTRL-A most of the time. Great tip and easy to do. The poly tool is also a good one and probably easier but I have always been in the habit of the other. I will have to start using that one :).

Another tip is that most of the time you can right-click and select the "convert to curve" or "Break object apart" or "Break Contour Apart" from there (depending on what item you are clicking on, which saves you one more step.

Thanks.

Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I've been working on this star for OVER an hour. Here is where I'm at :evil:

EDIT: WOW, Thank you so much! I found corel draw x7 on ebay for $65 I will be ordering it now!
lol 6 minutes. i'm well over 56 minutes with this one getting nowhere.

Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

6 minutes is what it took me...but that isn't a fair number because I have been using Corel for over 10 years. Still, following the instructions above should get you a cut-able image in at least 15-20 minutes following step by step.

Just remember that the UNDO is your friend. If you do something and it doesn't work, just hit UNDO and try again.

Also, go into your settings for Corel and make sure you set up the amount of UNDO's to a larger number. This way if you do mess something up you can just hit UNDO and take it way back to where you started again. I think the default UNDO steps is only 5 or 10 or something. I have mine set at 80 LOL.

Another life saver is the Auto-Save feature. Make sure to set that up as well. That way if you crash your system or something, you can go back to an auto save and restore your drawing back to where it last saved. I have mine set to Auto-Save every 3 minutes. If you ever spend an hour or so on a drawing and have the power go out, after you say just about every curse word there is, you will set up your Auto-Save feature....Or if you already set it up you will praise it to no end. LOL

Good luck. Be careful on your purchase from Flea-bay.....sometimes you can get some screaming deals but other times you may get duped. Just be sure that it is a FULL VERSION and not an UPGRADE. Also, make sure the version you are purchasing hasn't already been registered because you may run into issues when you go to register it for yourself (it may come back saying it belongs to someone else). Also, make sure it has the OFFICIAL registration form, not a copy or a piece of paper that has the number scratched onto it.

I would purchase at least Ver. X5 and no older. If you are getting Ver. X7 then awesome.

Let me know how it goes.

Torchmate CAD
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

Tanks for the tutorial. I used to use corel for Web site stuff years ago but not drawing and tracing but somehow lost my copy so just finished ordering a full version of x6. Would think a corel tutorial thread would be extremely useful for everyone. Am going to start one tonight.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Great I will have this on order in the next day or so.
I tried to cut that star and it didn't work. The entire center of it fell through. On both 1/8" and 1/2" Plate so i'll have to work some things. Then onto these 2 guys! :shock:

Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

here is my quick 10 minute trace with TM cad.

I want to find out if there is a way to "smooth" between 2 or more points.

Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Here is a version of the same star I drew and cut. There are two different stars, with different bar thickness so if you have problems cutting the thin ones you can cut one with a little more meat left so it doesn't all fall out. I cut the thin one, and have cut them in up to 3/4" with no problem. Not sure what machine you are using, or how it cuts but I can cut this in 14g steel pretty small, hopefully one of them will work for you.
Texas Star Round with Middle cutouts.dxf
Shane

gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Oh great thank you. I will try . My machine is in my signature, the issue is the customer wants this for branding and ONLY 3" in diameter. I have always had a hard time getting super fine details.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I did a 1 1/2" diameter butt branding satan's star for a woman last week.
Murray
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Gamelord, excellent info again. Thanks so much.

Dawg
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

muzza wrote:I did a 1 1/2" diameter butt branding satan's star for a woman last week.
Murray
How thick? how did it come out?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

gamble wrote:
muzza wrote:I did a 1 1/2" diameter butt branding satan's star for a woman last week.
Murray
How thick? how did it come out?
It was cut from 3 mm (1/8") and welded to a backing of the same. The lines are about 2 mm (3/32") thick which is what the lady wanted. I told here that the edges wouldn't be perfect with the lines being thinner than the material but she was happy with it and as it was only to brand her butt so the resulting scar wouldn't need to have crisp lines.

Not my cup of tea and if one my kids did it, their butt would be sorer from my boot than the brand. Hell, I'm not even keen on tattoos, but I'm old.
Murray

RJB ribs1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Knife blank

Post by RJB ribs1 »

Thanks this was a very helpful post

RJB
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

This star is kicking my ass. Even if I made the .250 lines fatter. Going to try again and see what happens.

Hoping I get this job today and I can test out corel draw with it.
Corel shows up today. Can't wait.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Gamble,

I had a bit of trouble with Gamelords star tutorial myself until I deleted the inner circle after trimming (after step 5).

Maybe that will help a little, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”