PlasmaCam Table - air shroud

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

PlasmaCam Table - air shroud

Post by Copp3r »

Hey guys ( 'n gals),

In yet another effort to help reduce the amount of dust and particulate coming off of my PlasmaCam table, here's idea you may be interested in.
I already have a catchment table with a turbo fan mounted under cutting surface however what I'm finding is that I'm losing suction on not only the parts that are cut out of the sheet of steel but also around the edges where the grates are resident.
So, I've made up what I'm referring to as "air shrouds" to in effect box in that gap between the grates and the sides of the table. Once cut, the small slots slide in to your existing grates which are lined up vertically and then the opposing side just rests on the outside rail of the table.
In the file you'll find one piece for a 4' wide section complete with 45 degree angles. The other piece I created as I have a 4x8 table and I'm using a total of four of these with the flat parts slightly overlapping.
The only issue(s) that I noticed was that the 45 degree angle is a little short and could be extended out about 1/4" to 1/2" and in the corner I had to take my grinder to touch up the end to stop some buckling. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Hope this helps a couple of you out there.

NB: I'm also in the process of connecting some "lock line" to a shop vac hose and mounting that so that it'll sit just offset from the torch in hopes of sucking up the dust coming off of the plasma cutter.

Cheers !

Copp3r / roger

NB: I've just posted an addition to this topic in the tools and accessories area dealing with dust collection '/ elimination and the use of Lock Line. I'd be curious as to what people think !!! thx again...

20130713_143018.jpg
PlasmaCam Table Air Shrouds.pcm

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by Copp3r on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: PlasmaCam Table - air shroud

Post by james.davis »

Thanks Roger.What size is your turbo fan?And how will you hold the metal that your cutting down so it doesn't move?
Thanks,
Jim
Copp3r

Post by Copp3r »

Actually I purchased the fan ...12"... off this site http://plasmaspider.com/shop/plasma_exhaust_fans.html and while not cheap, I love it..! As for holding the metal down, gravity. It's cheap and very effective...! LOL... Seriously, the sheet stays in place as do the shroud pieces. That being said I will in all likelihood use some sheet metal screws and attach a plate ( in the corners) to hold the shroud in place.

I hope that helps you out.

Roger
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Good idea Roger, I am also struggling with dust and will have to try your fix. Thanks for sharing, Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
eminc1
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by eminc1 »

The shrouds will help. Here are some i made for my table. Made in 2 pieces so i could cut them out on 4x4 table. Cut 4 each and pop rivet together, works for me.
Danny

DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

I built this upside down Pyramid 12 years ago out of 16 gage stainless steel. Transitioned it down to a square large enough I could Tig a 4" ring on it to attach a hose and ran the hose outside using a dryer vent flapper on my vinyl siding. Had to make an angle iron frame and then adapt it to the table because the table is wider than 4'. Bought a 1200 CFM exhaust fan from Grizzly and a remote control switch for it. It works great! The only problem I have is that I have to crack a window because my shop is real tight. I do lose some heat and air conditioning but not too bad.

Dave Hanks

Zephrant
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Zephrant »

Nice-

Wow, you use a lot more clamps than I suspected. Did you do a mass order to HF for cheap vice-grips or something?
DXF

Post by DXF »

Zephrant wrote:Nice-

Wow, you use a lot more clamps than I suspected. Did you do a mass order to HF for cheap vice-grips or something?
Nope, I don't waste $ on that cheap junk. Shopped around and finally found some named Great Neck for around $8 a pair. Most of them are $15.99 a pair.

Dave
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by exceptional »

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your help and the pics. Explains it perfectly.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

DXF, I'm curious... it looks like you welded on the little squares that stick up as spikes to hold the material up on the grates? Did you try it without the spikes and not like it or something?
DXF

Post by DXF »

Metriccar wrote:DXF, I'm curious... it looks like you welded on the little squares that stick up as spikes to hold the material up on the grates? Did you try it without the spikes and not like it or something?
The squares are spot welded on to replace the points after 14 years of cutting. I can flip the grates but I have built (2) fixtures on this side of the grates to clamp skillets and cut them.

Dave Hanks
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Thanks eminc1. I cut your shrouds and put them on this weekend. They fit perfectly and make a big difference for dust control.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I tweaked Copp3r's original file so it would fit my Samson 5'x10' table. I put it up in the file sharing with photo's here:

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14644

Here is the file as well.

Thanks again to Copp3r for the original file.

Shane

Yellowstone
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Yellowstone »

I just put these on my Sampson. Thanks guys, they work well, or grate. File was perfect. Oops zombie thread.
Sampson 510, TD cutmaster 101, Snap n Cut, 10' x 14g finger brake, lots of Welders tig,mig, aluminum push pull, vantage 300, sa250d, Ford Trucks.

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”