Am I out of line??

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Am I out of line??

Post by Largemouthlou »

Just want to make sure Im not crazy.. Had a customer come in and say he wants 3 pc .25 6061 alum diamond plate cut to 23.75 X 96" but it needs to be slotted with 6" X 1/2" slots, 2 rows every 3 inches apart.. Told him no problem, he supplys material drawing, I load, cut and clean up for 230.00,, he said no to expensive.. I said have a nice day

Was going to be a total of 2724" of cutting 63 perices, plus handeling the material..

I think Im gonna retire :lol:
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Am I out of line??

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

I would have charged short of $560 + tax. Thats just based on cutting inches and pierces.

Im finding more and more people that think this is some sort of cheap hobby. Then there are the people who cant get their checkbook out fast enough.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Thank you JJ, I know it was on the cheaper side but still trying to break into the biz here with not much luck..

Alot of views, anyone else want to comment please??
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
natewelding
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by natewelding »

id have to see the drawing to completely see what youre talking about, but without material, just cutting and cleaning, id say your price is pretty good, maybe a little cheap but not too bad id say. depends on where you live also, ive seen people on here say they charge 60-300hr for their plasmas.
Old Ironworker
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Old Ironworker »

No, your not out of line. I'm a new-be, but starting to "Read People Better" when talking to a consumer . They may ask for a ballpark and that's what I tell them. We have to live in the real world ( pay bills, spend time doing this) and it's not FREE. Almost any HOBBY is not cheap ( ask any old car guy, or his wife!!). Just give them your best ballpark before getting too far in. GOOD LUCK :!:
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

You are not out of line at all except you are a bit on the cheap side. I would have charged $502.92. I have absolutely no idea where he could go to get a better price than what you offered him. I think he better forget about his project.
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Thanks gang!! I feel better, now to make some money!!
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Jeff M
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Prices,prices, prices

Post by Jeff M »

I know there is no such thing as a dumb question. But I have one. When you guys say you charge every time the machine moves. Are you talking about every time, in the history tab in machine settings ? initiaizing, run time, cut time, etc. I know to use no. of pierces, cut inches. Also, how do you go about charging for cleaning, paint, and your time.

Thanks,
Jeff M
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

If you can, concentrate on people that have the money, wealthy suburbs, etc.

I think generally people with more money appreciate the costs, etc in business. Many of them may have businesses themselves. I've advertised for my (non plasma related) business in my local suburb and what a joke. Quoting for crappy little jobs for crappy little amounts of money. Gave that up.

When I go through my invoices most of my work is in the more affluent suburbs. I think they may also be more "arty" and appreciate metal art.

People that don't have much money often expect businesses to do stuff for nothing.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
elvenhome21
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by elvenhome21 »

Going off of book rate your right on with the numbers I would start off as a ball park. But I live in a very tight wad area so even $100 would make most people say forget it. A lot of my customers are racing guys so I normally can make up any "loss" by trading favors or racing parts.
Bonzi Metalworks
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

Here it would have been $156.35 Cut price.

(;-) TP
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

What are you guys charging per inch of cut anyway? I rarely cut for any customers but am curious.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

vmax549 wrote:Here it would have been $156.35 Cut price.

(;-) TP
Terry, your really cutting .25 aluminum out the door for .056 and inch including pierces??
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”