I need your opinion - Selling Custom Files

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
runninwild400
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

I need your opinion - Selling Custom Files

Post by runninwild400 »

If you had a customer that gave you a photograph of something they wanted cut out,,,something custom, and you paid a third party to convert that photo for you, would it be ok for that third party to sell that custom file to anyone that wanted it???? So now that custom sign that you made that should of been the only one like it isn't so custom anymore. Just looking for some opinions here.
Brian
Metal-Magic
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: I need your opinion

Post by boodog710 »

The person you paid to convert the file did not own it so in my opinion it would be improper if not illegal for him to use or sell it it to others. I suggest you contact an attorney for proper legal advice.
fyrpower
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fyrpower »

they should not be able to sell it unless you give permission
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

One does not find honor in the company of theives. If you need to have work like this done you may have to do it yourself or find someone with an honest reputaion.
blocker
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by blocker »

If you paid this person for there CAD time then you and/or your customer alone should own that file,you bought it.
lewi444
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by lewi444 »

This has happend to me also I had a customer that wanted a drawing turned into metal art I had someone make a dxf file for me. then I bought an art file that had the very same windmill on it. Now i'm still just another cookie cutter. I bet when my custermer finds out i'll never get any more work from them. I could be in bad trouble! I just don't know how to handle it.
fishnfryd
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by fishnfryd »

it may just be due to a misunderstanding and it may not be too late to renegotiate

Caveat emptor

I wouldn't fault the artist unless she actually agreed to exclusivity

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”