START CARTRIDGE

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

START CARTRIDGE

Post by danny »

just kinda wondering how often do you guy's have to change the start cartridge on you sl-100 machine torch
2X2 Shop built table,proma thc,TB6560 bob
TD cut master 52,SL 100 machine torch
mach3, sheetcam, 26cfm compressor, Ref.air dryer, water seperator, motorguard toilet paper filter
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: START CARTRIDGE

Post by trucutcnc »

We run A120's and typically get 2 - 3 months out of one running an average of about 4 hours a day arc on time.
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
fergy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by fergy »

I brought my machine second hand and have only had to change mine once coz I changed to a hypertherm and couldn't be happier :D
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by danny »

fergy wrote:I brought my machine second hand and have only had to change mine once coz I changed to a hypertherm and couldn't be happier :D
:lol: That definitely works

Ross,
How do ya know when to change it, Every once in a while it wont fire especially on a cut with a lot of starts. I called TD (George I think) told me to get the 9-8257 (I don't have it in front of me) Heavy duty cartridge (brass) It handles the heat better. I did, It didn't :? I went back to the 9-8213 (rubber looking one). But Once in a great while it won't fire. I changed the o-rings and cut all day with out a misfire.Could that have been what caused it to miss or is that just par for the course

Just thought I'd get a little in sight on this.

Thanks, Danny
mach3, sheetcam, 26cfm compressor, Ref.air dryer, water seperator, motorguard toilet paper filter
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Could that have been what caused it to miss or is that just par for the course.

I'd be interested as well. I've had a few misfires at start, and never associated that with the start cartridge.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

Usually you'll get an 85 fault. When the plunger sticks on the start cart you'll get that fault. If I get a few misfires in a row, I'll check the start cart. We use the 9-8213. Our rep gave us one of the brass ones (9-8277), but since we never had an issue with the 9-8213, we've not used it. I thought we'd install it when the current 9-8213 went bad, but it hasn't yet.

Misfires are usually caused by worn consumables. A worn set of consumables combined with a pierce height that is a little too high will cause a misfire. When inspecting the electrode, look at the divit in the end of the electrode. When it gets to be about 1/16" deep, it's time to change. Basically you'll get a pilot arc that will usually pierce the material, but you won't get good arc transfer. If the cut still looks good just lowing the pierce height will get some more life out of the consumables.

I've never changed O-rings in 15 years of running TD machines. Granted, we're an OEM so they keep our equipment fairly up to date. We typically get new equipment every couple of years.

Disclaimer: All recommendations are based on real shop experiences, not engineers data derived in a lab. Don't know about you, but we live in the real world, not in the lab. :)
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by danny »

Thanks Ross,
I'm sure what you said was my problem the electrode was ready to be changed and I think I was running a .200 pierce hight so that definitely makes since.
Although I don't think I even get a pilot arc when it dose it, should I be looking at something else as well.
Back when I called them I had gotten a 75 fault and that stumped George. Because It went back to running after I shut it down for a bit. That's when he told me to get the 9-8277 cart.

And I'd much rather have your real world any day,Than their Ivory tower
Thanks for the part number correction I couldn't recall it off top of my head

Thanks again,

Danny
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

We get a 75 every now and then while it's cutting, which they say isn't possible. A 75 means that the machine was turned on with the torch trigger engaged, which isn't possible while it's cutting. Without looking at the manual, I don't think a 75 has anything to do with the start cart. If you get an 85 when to light the torch, it is most likely a stuck start cart. You can clean them up with scotchbrite and sometimes that helps. I've never done it but that's what they tell me.
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by danny »

I think that's what stumped him :lol:

Thanks for all the help Ross, I appreciate it.
Danny
VERSIUS
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by VERSIUS »

I was having a similar problem for a while on my A60. I actually had some other issues as well, but sometimes it wouldn't arc, sometimes it would arc and just stay in place and burn a hole (and burn up the nozzle really quickly). My problem was insufficient ground. I wasted a couple of grand in metal and tips before I figured it out though. I took a 4-0 cable and ran it down to a grounding rod I pounded about 3ft into the ground and my problems went away completely. Probably not your issue, but it doesn't hurt to check and I can tell you that my factory ground cable was not cutting it (I don't know if it had been kinked and damaged or what).
les mckee
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by les mckee »

HI EVERYONE NEW OPN HERE HOPE YOU CAN HELP IF YOUR START CARTRIDGE STILL HAS A GOOD SPRING TO IT COULD IT STILL BE FAULTY IS THERE ANYWAY TO TEST IT ALSO WHEN i PRESS THE TRIGGER ALL I get is a spitting flame

Les
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Hey Les

On the end of the spring loaded center is a taper that contacts the nozzle. This tapered section can get burrs on it from arcing and cause the cartridge to stick to the nozzle. Clean it up with a scotchbrite pad and put it back together and see what happens.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”