Air pressure to hypertherm 1250?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
b.ackerman@live.ca
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Air pressure to hypertherm 1250?

Post by b.ackerman@live.ca »

Hey
I have a Hypertherm 1250 and a refrigerated air dryer with a compressor that runs at 175 psi,
Im wondering should I regulate the pressure into the plasma cutter down to a lower psi or is it ok?
just trying to find out ways to get a better cut.

thanks
any help greatly appreciated
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Air pressure to hypertherm 1250?

Post by beefy »

Page 5-5 of my 1250 manual says air pressure should be 90-120 psi. I know of a guy who puts 130 psi into his Powermax 85. He gets beautiful cuts up to 1 inch thick but that's a Duramx torch.

Unless Jim says it's OK I don't know if it's a bit of a risk going 55 psi higher than what's stated in the manual. Perhaps regulate the inlet pressure to the 1250, and with your 1250 running an 80 amp nozzle on thick steel, and the 1250 pressure regulator set on max, do some test cuts, turning up the external pressure regualator with each test cut, and seeing if the cut quality improves. When you get the best quality cuts then you know you don't need any more inlet pressure than that.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The inlet pressure has nothing to do with cut quality...as the plasma system regulates the torch cutting pressure internally. The problem with exceeding the system inlet pressure rating is that internal components of the air supply system....which inlude a regulator, filter/separater unit, solenoid valve and pressure switch....can be damaged at pressure's higher than they are rated for. For most compressors the air cycles from 90 to 120 psi. Many newer compressors are designed to cycle to pressures as high as 175 psi. For the Powermax1250...anything over 120 psi must be regulated....and be sure the regulator used has the air flow capacity in cfm (cubic fet per minute) that your plasma system operators manual requires.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

b.ackerman@live.ca wrote:Hey
I have a Hypertherm 1250 and a refrigerated air dryer with a compressor that runs at 175 psi,
Im wondering should I regulate the pressure into the plasma cutter down to a lower psi or is it ok?
just trying to find out ways to get a better cut.

thanks
any help greatly appreciated
b.ackerman@live.ca
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by b.ackerman@live.ca »

ok sounds good i will do that. I dont want to be fixing my plasma.
thanks for the answer.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”