advice for getting cleaner cuts

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Frank_Cox
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

advice for getting cleaner cuts

Post by Frank_Cox »

A friend of mine as a plasmacam table "sampson 510" and is using a Hypertherm powermax 600 plasma cutter with it. What are some tips and pointers to get a cleaner straighter cut from this set up? If memory serves me correctly, the torch is the handheld one from the plasma cutter. the cuts on 1/4" plate are on a slight angle and the cut leaves a lot of slag.
Thanks in advance for your help!!!! :mrgreen:
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: advice for getting cleaner cuts

Post by Largemouthlou »

Need to go by the manual, for cutting heights and speed.. His are not set right that is why he has the bad cuts..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The most common things on a cnc plasma that cause dross (dross is the material that sticks to the bottom edge of the plate being cut, slag is the material that is ejected onto the machine slats and in the cutting bed) are:

-Cutting too slow for the material
-Cutting with incorrect torch to work distance
-Cutting with too much power (amps) for the material
-Cutting with damaged or worn out consumables

Here are the things that cause excess edge angularity:
-cutting too fast for the material
-Cutting with too much power for the material thickness
-Cutting with a damaged nozzle or shield
-Cutting with the incorrect consumables for the power level or material
-Cutting at the incorrect height

The Hypertherm plasma (Powermax600) has a very detailed set of cut charts listed in the operators manual for mechanized cutting. If you follow all of the specs exactly as the manual suggests....then expect very nice quality cuts. The important settings are: Amperage, Correct consumable part number, Pierce height, pierce delay, cut height an cut speed.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Frank_Cox wrote:A friend of mine as a plasmacam table "sampson 510" and is using a Hypertherm powermax 600 plasma cutter with it. What are some tips and pointers to get a cleaner straighter cut from this set up? If memory serves me correctly, the torch is the handheld one from the plasma cutter. the cuts on 1/4" plate are on a slight angle and the cut leaves a lot of slag.
Thanks in advance for your help!!!! :mrgreen:
Frank_Cox
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Frank_Cox »

Thanks for the replies!
question tho- how important is the air pressure setting in mechanized cutting?
I have a new powermax 45 that is use by hand and I have a set of led lights that tell me if the setting is correct for the mode I am in. I do not have his machine or the manual so I don't know if there is a chart for this or not.
Thanks!
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Air pressure is extremely important. The Powermax45 requires between 85 and 135 psi at the inlet (when cutting), and that the onboard regulator is adjusted with air flowing to the torch until the front panel air pressure LED's are satisfied. Pressure either too low or too high affects both cut quality and consumable life.

The air produces the plasma jet....and also keeps the consumables cooled. The newer Hypertherm Powermax65, 85 and 105 have an automatic air pressure system that is monitored electronically by the control board.

Jim Colt
Frank_Cox wrote:Thanks for the replies!
question tho- how important is the air pressure setting in mechanized cutting?
I have a new powermax 45 that is use by hand and I have a set of led lights that tell me if the setting is correct for the mode I am in. I do not have his machine or the manual so I don't know if there is a chart for this or not.
Thanks!
Frank_Cox
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Frank_Cox »

Thanks Jim! does the manual cover settings for the 600?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”