volts and cut height

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
jackleg007
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

volts and cut height

Post by jackleg007 »

still learning here.could someone please clarify.when setting the volts for the thc,is the lower the volts set mean the torch is closer to the workpiece?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: volts and cut height

Post by jimcolt »

Volts are proportional to height. Lower voltage equals closer to the plate.

Jim Colt

jackleg007 wrote:still learning here.could someone please clarify.when setting the volts for the thc,is the lower the volts set mean the torch is closer to the workpiece?
jackleg007
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jackleg007 »

thanks for the reply.i was cutting a large oval out of 14 gauge mild steel.powermax 85 set to the specs in the book.new consummables.everything was cuting fine,until the outside cut was about 90%complete.then it quit blowing thru and left the last foot of the cut only partially thru.i thought maybe it was travelling to fast at that point,maybe due to the cut being long enough for the machine to reach full speed.i had cut some test pieces previously and the settings in the book seemed bang on for cut quality,although i was using old consummables for the test pieces.
do you think i should just lower my voltage setting a bit,or is it likely a speed thing?

i enjoy reading your posts,and have gained a lot of knowledge from your information.just hoping to pick your brain a little more.once again,thanks,Jim.i love what you bring to this site....have a great day:)
jackleg007
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jackleg007 »

did a ton of test cuts,and found i could keep my speed up if i dropped my voltage to 72 rather than 82 as specified in the manual.i have a fastcut icon elite,maybe that is just a characteristic of this particular hieght control.nice cut at 200 ipm and 72 volts.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The voltage listed in the cut charts in the manual are a good starting point.....however due to different torch height control designs (many beands and models) as well as different installations (different raw voltage and voltage dividers and wiring lengths)....it is often necessary to tweak the voltage setting until the physical height is correct on any plasma installation. generally if you have to run 10 volts lower than the book says....then all of your cuts will probably need to run at 10 volts lower. Physical height is important....the voltage required to achieve that height is what is correct.

Jim

jackleg007 wrote:did a ton of test cuts,and found i could keep my speed up if i dropped my voltage to 72 rather than 82 as specified in the manual.i have a fastcut icon elite,maybe that is just a characteristic of this particular hieght control.nice cut at 200 ipm and 72 volts.
jackleg007
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jackleg007 »

thanks jim.always good to hear your input

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”