Fine cut 20g cold role mild steel

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
dkoril
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Fine cut 20g cold role mild steel

Post by dkoril »

Powermax 65
Fine cut consumables
40 amps
325 ipm
75 volts
Water table

This was my first go with fine cut consumables and thin material. I am not too happy with the results. The first thing I noticed was the torch raising half way through cuts longer than an 1" ad the voltage would spike to 115<. The edges have a large positive bevel. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dustin
Attachments
A look from the side
A look from the side
image.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
A look at the edge
A look at the edge
image.jpg (34.44 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
The whole thing
The whole thing
image.jpg (146.65 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fine cut 20g cold role mild steel

Post by jimcolt »

Well...you need to get your height control working...if the torch height is incorrect expect dross, warpage, and a very wide cut kerf. Proper cut height is critical for all plasma cuts....even more so when the material is very thin.

I would help you out with it but you do not indicate what type of machine and height control you are using....

I also have some updated cut charts that allow for slower cut speeds (under 150 inches per minute) that will work with your FineCut consumables. It is a .pdf file, so if you email me directly I can forward it to you....no way to post it on this site.

Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com
swidick
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Fine cut 20g cold role mild steel

Post by swidick »

jimcolt wrote:Well...you need to get your height control working...if the torch height is incorrect expect dross, warpage, and a very wide cut kerf. Proper cut height is critical for all plasma cuts....even more so when the material is very thin.

I would help you out with it but you do not indicate what type of machine and height control you are using....

I also have some updated cut charts that allow for slower cut speeds (under 150 inches per minute) that will work with your FineCut consumables. It is a .pdf file, so if you email me directly I can forward it to you....no way to post it on this site.

Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Hi Jim, I just sent you an email request for the updated chart.
Steel Cut
Hypertherm 45, Burntable 4x8, Air dryer
Draftsight, Sheetcam, Mach 3, 1953 Chevy COE Crew 4x4 Duramax 2500

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”