Cutting 3/8" Material

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jcplater
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting 3/8" Material

Post by jcplater »

Having problems cutting 3/8" a36 steel. I will try to add pictures a little later today but here is the "gist" of my problem.
I am cutting a 1 1/2" wide by 3" long piece with a 1/2" channel on the bottom and a 1/2" hole centered above the channel.
My main problem is cut angularity within the channel and the hole especially.
My second problem is dross on the bottom of the cut. I have tried speeding up my table and slowing it down as well.
I have cut 1000 pcs so far and my customer has another 5000 in near future if I can get my part quality to what they expect.

I am using:
Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma with machine torch
Settings: 65 Amps 62-63 ipm, pierce height is .12" and cut height is .035"
I have disable height controll under 85% speed and have set the software to slow down on holes under 1" in diameter.
5 x 10 Plasma Cam / Sampson table

Any and all help is appreciated.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting 3/8" Material

Post by jimcolt »

Go with the book recommended specs right out of the Hypertherm manual for 65 amps on 3/8" steel:

65 Amp shielded consumables
Amperage: 65 amps
Air pressure...set it in auto mode
Time to pierce .7 seconds
Pierce height: .18"
Physical cut height: .06"
cut speed: 45 inches per minute

Make sure that the height during the cut is correct. .060" is about the thickness of a penny.

Your specs show that you are running too fast and too close to the plate. Inspect your nozzle and shield....if any nicks or out of roundness....replace them. Nicks and out of roundness are caused by piercing too close....too short of a pierce delay, cutting too close. Nicks and out of roundness will cause bad edge angularity.

You should be getting 350 to 1000 starts if you use the specs above...and have clean dry air.

Jim Colt
jcplater wrote:Having problems cutting 3/8" a36 steel. I will try to add pictures a little later today but here is the "gist" of my problem.
I am cutting a 1 1/2" wide by 3" long piece with a 1/2" channel on the bottom and a 1/2" hole centered above the channel.
My main problem is cut angularity within the channel and the hole especially.
My second problem is dross on the bottom of the cut. I have tried speeding up my table and slowing it down as well.
I have cut 1000 pcs so far and my customer has another 5000 in near future if I can get my part quality to what they expect.

I am using:
Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma with machine torch
Settings: 65 Amps 62-63 ipm, pierce height is .12" and cut height is .035"
I have disable height controll under 85% speed and have set the software to slow down on holes under 1" in diameter.
5 x 10 Plasma Cam / Sampson table

Any and all help is appreciated.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”