New Build - Hypertherm 65, iplasma 4x8 table, CandCNC

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

New Build - Hypertherm 65, iplasma 4x8 table, CandCNC

Post by DesertFabworks »

We are starting a new build and were are going to document it from start to finish.

Its going to consist of a 4x8 iplasma table from Precision Plasma
Water table using GreenCut fluid
Hypertherm Powermax 65 cutter
Dragon Cut electronics package from CandCNC

Were using Corel Draw x6, SheetCam and Mach3
We are also going to be featuring and demoing products from Cascade Metal Designs and Steel F/X

We are going to upload updates as often as we can we also have a website dedicated to the build that you can follow:

We expect to brake the crate open in the morning and start building the table.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

Follow our CNC Plasma Build:
www.cncplasminfo.com
Follow our CNC Router Build:
www.cncrouterbuild.com
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: New Build - Hypertherm 65, iplasma 4x8 table, CandCNC

Post by Largemouthlou »

Sounds like ya got the plan!! Good luck :D
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Wow! Looks like our builds are going to be using almost identical hardware etc! I have a HT 1250 and the same package from CandCNC with the 620 motors. My table is a 6x12 with a water table and bladder system. Same software too! My table is my own design as well as the gantry and motor mounts etc.

I'll be watching your build with great interest.... Your's is more an off-the-shelf build using commercially available components, which I think is going to help a lot of guys see what is possible out there, and that a plasma table is really within their reach! Good luck on your build & hope to see some sparks flying soon! (from both our shops!)

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Thanks OldSarge

I do have quite a few off the shelf items but I will be doing a custom water pan, computer console and possibly a overhead gantry system for loading sheets. Still have a lot of design work to do. I'm going to try a sump system made out of two 55 gallon poly drums for my water table. I have not seen anything like it so far on the forums not sure if it will work but going to give it a try. Any advice anyone can offer is great.

Thanks!
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

DesertFabworks wrote:Thanks OldSarge

I'm going to try a sump system made out of two 55 gallon poly drums for my water table. I have not seen anything like it so far on the forums not sure if it will work but going to give it a try. Any advice anyone can offer is great.

Thanks!
I thought about a sump system myself, was going to use 2 60 gallon water heater tanks I have... Decided to scrap the idea though for several reasons... First off the volume of water in my table will exceed the volume of the barrels... My water pan is going to be almost 6' wide x 10' long, which is 149 gallons! Also, the barrels will need to be completely below the level of the water table to allow drainage, which means laying the barrels on their sides. Then you'll have to come up with a manifold system to connect the two barrels, and it will need to be close enough to the top of the barrels that you don't lose any volume of the barrels. Since you are doing a 4x8 and assuming your pan is going to be 4" deep, and the table/pan is a few inches wider/longer to accommodate a full 4x8 sheet, say 52" x 100"x4" deep = 20800 square inches or just over 90 gallons. It will be close with 2 55 gallon drums if you can get the piping close enough to the tops of the barrels. Not trying to downplay the idea, just a lot of things to consider, and thought I'd pass them along... hopefully save some effort. If you get a system like that working it'd be pretty neat though!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Thanks for the info, I have had the same thoughts. I have calculated out the volume of the water pan at 80 gallons. Which gives me about 15-20 gallon fudge room. The barrels have a bung at opposite sides on the one end. I plan on having my air feeds at the top holes and liquid on the bottom. I hope to have enough room inside the barrel for the air gap.

I'm going to give it a try. Its going to be a bunch of plumbing but if I can plumb this thing for under $50 total including barrels and piping like I plan and make it work, it will be pretty cool.

You have quite the build going yourself, nice work.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Did not get very far this weekend. Hit some snags when we un crated the frame and found some parts missing. Great customer service got a call back on Sunday from the owner and a fedex tracking number.

Also had a few problems with installing and getting the electronics package working. I though that I was computer tech savvy but this is kicking my butt, I'm sure its something simple. Nothing that a beer and a steak and some sleep cant fix.

Here are some pics for this weekend.

I also put up a quick video showing our old machine that were replacing

http://www.cncplasmabuild.com/videos.html
IMG_1228.jpg

Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

The pan was delivered from the fab shop today. Forming 5 x 10 sheets of 1/8 was a little out of my capabilities.

Though I was going to go crazy today chasing my tail trying to get Mach and my controllers set up. Turned out that the serial port header on the Motherboard was bad.

Switched to a USB to serial converter and so far everything is working Great. I have heard horror stories about the usb to serial so not sure if I will keep it or get a pci serial card.

Need to weld in the slat supports and the plumbing connections so I can drain the table.

Got to love all of the bumps in the road on a project like this.

Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by twicecustom »

Thats a nice lil table you are replacing too. I dont know how many inputs and such that you are going to use for the system, I am using 2 serial cards in my machine, because I didnt have enough inputs to do my limit switches and such.
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Benjiman
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

I got the Dragon Cut System from CandCNC for my electronics to run the drives and control the DTHC. Their system is set up to do everything with one serial on the computer. For the homes and limits I just run the wire back to the case and plug it into the pre-wired respective terminal in the case. Its a pretty slick setup.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by twicecustom »

Yea that's how it works, but all the limits are tied together into one.. I have my limits and homes separated out and a separate "Start" Switch for when I am doing repetitive work out of a jig.
Benjiman
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

twicecustom wrote:Yea that's how it works, but all the limits are tied together into one.. I have my limits and homes separated out and a separate "Start" Switch for when I am doing repetitive work out of a jig.
Not to jack tge thread but if you separate out your serial ports to separate switches are those limit switches programable through Mach?
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by twicecustom »

I run my main DB25 port on the motherboard for my motion/THC and such, I have an added DB25 card that I have my home and limit switches tied into as well as my remote start button tied as a oem trigger I believe (I can check later). You enable your port 2 with its address and then under ports/pins you can specify you want to use port 2 for what you want.
Benjiman
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by twicecustom »

And sorry for jacking the thread.. ON WITH THE BUILD!! :D
Benjiman
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

No Worries info like that is how we all learn
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

I did a bunch of work getting the water pan set. Precision Plasma the manufacture of the table provided plans for fabricating the water table. I modified the plans a little.

I went with 1/8 plate formed into a pan using their dimensions to fit the table. Their plans included an integrated slat holder that was plasma cut in to the plate then a 120 degree bend used to form a lip. No one in my area could plasma cut a sheet over 4 x 8 nor could they bend a 120 bend on top of the 180 bend. So I opted to use their alternate design.

I used 1.5 x 1.5 angle welded along the edge with 3/16 gaps.

They specified 3.5 in 1/8 flat stock for the supports. 3.5 inch flat stock is crazy expensive at almost $40 a stick and i needed 10 for the table. I opted for 2.5 in which was a quarter of the price.

To make this work I added a 1/2 support to raise the slats up off the floor of the pan and help with fluid flow. I also opted to have the slats sit 1/2 below the rim of the pan.

I will fill the table 2.5 inches deep and have 1/2 gap between the fluid and the part being cut. I think this will workout ok but its the first time I have done this so we will see.

Their design did not call for a center support rib but I added one and it made a big difference.

The slats slip in nice and easy but lock in once in place and I do not get any movement.

Yes the steel in the drawing is brand new, my steel supplier delivered some very rusty stock and they did not have enough. I hate cleaning brand new things!

I put more photos on the build website than I could post here: I did a bunch of work getting the water pan set. Precision Plasma the manufacture of the table provided plans for fabricating the water table. I modified the plans a little.

I went with 1/8 plate formed into a pan using their dimensions to fit the table. Their plans included an integrated slat holder that was plasma cut in to the plate then a 120 degree bend used to form a lip. No one in my area could plasma cut a sheet over 4 x 8 nor could they bend a 120 bend on top of the 180 bend. So I opted to use their alternate design.

I used 1.5 x 1.5 angle welded along the edge with 3/16 gaps.

They specified 3.5 in 1/8 flat stock for the supports. 3.5 inch flat stock is crazy expensive at almost $40 a stick and i needed 10 for the table. I opted for 2.5 in which was a quarter of the price.

To make this work I added a 1/2 support to raise the slats up off the floor of the pan and help with fluid flow. I also opted to have the slats sit 1/2 below the rim of the pan.

I will fill the table 2.5 inches deep and have 1/2 gap between the fluid and the part being cut. I think this will workout ok but its the first time I have done this so we will see.

Their design did not call for a center support rib but I added one and it made a big difference.

The slats slip in nice and easy but lock in once in place and I do not get any movement.

Yes the steel in the drawing is brand new, my steel supplier delivered some very rusty stock and they did not have enough. I hate cleaning brand new things!

I put more photos on the build website than I could post here: http://cncplasmabuild.com/

More updates coming soon!

Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

DesertFabworks wrote: They specified 3.5 in 1/8 flat stock for the supports. 3.5 inch flat stock is crazy expensive at almost $40 a stick and i needed 10 for the table. I opted for 2.5 in which was a quarter of the price.
When I did mine I just bought 1/8 sheet and had the local sheet metal sop guillotine them to width.
Murray
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

I though about having mine sheared like that but my closest steel shop wanted $5 per cut and everything they shear when its not very wide gets a huge arc in it from the shear.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

It has been way too hot and humid to work lately. So much for a dry heat here in Arizona.

I got the plasma table built / set up. One of the very nice things about getting a kit form table like we did is how easy it is to set up. The table is the iplasma series from Precision Plasma.

It was very easy to set up and with 2-3 three people could be completed in under 2 hours. Taking pictures and documenting the process slowed us down a bit. That is really nice to be able to have a 4 x 8 table up and ready in that amount of time with only simple hand tools.

The entire frame came powder coated blue. The bends were all uniform and no tool marks showed through the powder coat. The welds on the trolleys and the gantry's were all tig'ed.

The water pan Should drop right in I hope!.

If I was not doing the water pan I could throw some slats in the pre cut holders and hook up the electronics and be cutting.

I have a few more things to build though before I'm cutting. Here are some of the pics. I could not fit all of them here so the rest are on the build site:
http://www.cncplasmabuild.com

Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Got a little more done. I got the stepper motors installed and the torch ran through the cable carriers and switched over to the mini machine torch and got rid of the large gear rack collar.

I fabricated up a cart / rack to hold the 55 gallon drums that will be my sump system for the table liquid. Still having a lot of different thought about how that's going to work. I really want to pressurize the barrels to move the fluid up the table and let it drain back but a little worried that the cap is going to pop off and I will loose it all on the floor. It should only take about 5 psi to move the fluid up but we will see.

At least the rack for the barrels is solid and fits perfect between and under the rails so that I can move it out for service and changes in the future. I have a small shop and have almost everything on wheels.

I'm going to start working on a cart that will hold the plasma cutter, computer, and electronics controller unit.

If any one has tried a sump system like this before I would love to hear your thoughts.

Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

With the help of 5 friends I got the water table lifted into place in the plasma table base. It fit! Very excited about that.

I plan on welding in the drain bungs and plumbing my sump system this week finally.

I made a little progress on the rolling cart that will hold my computer, plasma cutter and my Dragon Cut electronics box and an UPS system. I have to fab up the slide out drawer that will hold the keyboard and mouse and install the gas strut shocks that will raise the lid that will hold the monitor.

I looked at a bunch of other peoples photos of how they set up their electronics and almost settled on using a pre-built rolling tool cart but decided to go fully custom so that this unit would slide under the table when not in use and hold everything in one place.

The idea is to store this under the table and when I go to use it, slide it out from under the table. The lid with the monitor will fold up into a vertical position with the help of some gas struts and it will have a slide out drawer / tray for the keyboard and mouse.

Pull up a rolling stool and I will be all set. I'm big on keeping my wires and cables under control. I hope to make this setup as clean as possible. As soon as I can get everything set and tested I will send it all out to powder coat.

Getting close to being done!!

Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Its been tough getting work done on this project lately. 72+ hours a week at the day job does not leave much fabrication time lately.

I did make some progress on my computer cart. I both hate and enjoy the custom fabrication and all the bolt it on try it take it apart and repeat a thousand times.

I got the gas struts installed for the flip up monitor panel. It works great! I have changed struts many times which is easy but figuring out the mounting points and the the load vs the leverage and finding a strut that is not designed for what you want to do and making it work took a bit.

I was going to enclose the cart more and put panels on the sides but I figure that since the norm temp in the shop is about 110 I had better leave is open for some ventilation.

I need to mount the Dragon cut box so that it sits up off the floor and figure out how I want to mount the emergency stop button and it should be ready for powder coat.

I have been dreading the plumbing set up for the tanks and the water pan so I have not done anything with that in a bit. Maybe I will work on that next.

Thanks for all of the ideas and pictures you all have been sending!

Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

I took all the advice that I got and put an 8 foot 5/8 Copper Grounding rod in just outside of the wall where the Plasma Machine Sits. It was not fun you would have though I was putting the rod through pure concrete.

I ran individual grounding cables using 4 Gauge Copper stranded wire from the table work lead / slats, the gantry, the table, the computer, and plasma cutter. I kept the ground cables as short as possible. Having not used a ground at all on the last plasma system and not having problems I don't expect to have any problems on this one with all of the grounds.

I added a few items to my computer cart including a back panel and bar to use for mounting an running cable and a support bar to mount the Dragon Cut system box on.

In the photos the Green cable are the grounding runs.

JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

When putting in a ground rod. Pour some water down the hole. It makes pounding the rod into the ground way easier. The water also helps the rod do its job.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Ya I tried the water thing. Soaked the ground the day before, had the hole full during the pounding. If it made it easier I would hate to have experienced it without it.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”