trouble cutting 1/2 inch metal

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
HK designs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

trouble cutting 1/2 inch metal

Post by HK designs »

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm trying to cut 1/2" and the edges keep coming out bevelled. Using a Hypertherm powermax 1000 with 60 amp consumables. Travel speed is 27 and Arc Voltage is 151 (it's recommended at 141 but the torch drags too bad on the table). Has anyone had this issue before? Thanks!
trussell welding service
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: trouble cutting 1/2 inch metal

Post by trussell welding service »

How much bevel? I can cut 1/2? material with hyperthem 1250 set it 80 amps and have almost no bevel or at least to the eye. I use the settings in owners manual and up cut speed 15. Works for me.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Make sure you have the correct consumables in the torch...especially the shield.

Shield: 120930
Retaining Cap: 120928 (220061 if you use a height control with ohmic contact)
Nozzle: 120931
Electrode: 120926
Swirl Ring: 120925

Pierce height: .18"
Pierce delay: 1.5 seconds
Cut height: .06" (critical) adjust arc voltage during cut at above specs until height is at .06" (1/16")
Cut speed: 27 ipm

If the bevel is uniform (all the way around the cut)...then it generally means your torch heuight is too high. Do not worry about the voltage....adjust until the height is at the recommended .06". Any higher and your bevel will get worse.

If the bevel varies....then first check the torch to the plate with a square...on both axis. If torch is dead square and a varying bevel, it is likely that the nozzle or shield orifice is damaged. Inspect the orifices with a magnifying glass or eye loupe...if any out of roundness or nicks...change the part.

Make sure you are using the machine torch shield. The hand torch shield is designed for drag cutting...machine shield is designed for .060" standoff.

Keep in mind that it should be normal to have a consistent 2 to 3 degree bevel.....this is an air plasma torch..and it is of an older design (compared to the newer Hypertherm Duramax torch). You can run at a slower speed...but be sure to keep the height at .06"...and will be able to square the edge a bit better.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

HK designs wrote:Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm trying to cut 1/2" and the edges keep coming out bevelled. Using a Hypertherm powermax 1000 with 60 amp consumables. Travel speed is 27 and Arc Voltage is 151 (it's recommended at 141 but the torch drags too bad on the table). Has anyone had this issue before? Thanks!
conradestrada
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by conradestrada »

Jim Colt you are a book of knowledge and the best thing is you don't mind sharing. Thanks a bunch
HK designs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by HK designs »

Thanks everybody for your help. Trussel welding - it's definitely a noticeable bevel; I tried speeding it up but no luck. It is a uniform bevel so I will check the torch height, thanks Jim!
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I don't have a pic of 1/2"....but when the speed is right and the height is right...your edges should look like this piece of 3/8". These edges all have a 2.2 to 2.6 degree bevel (they are marked).

You mention that you "speeded up"....to minimize bevel you need to slow down. If it wasn't marked...you'd swear there was no bevel.

Jim Colt
Powermax45 edge angle 003.jpg
Powermax45 edge angle 003.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Powermax45 edge angle 004.jpg
Powermax45 edge angle 004.jpg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”