Cutting Zinc coated metal

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
pjsr
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cutting Zinc coated metal

Post by pjsr »

Has anyone cut zinc coated sheet metal before. If so, what are the hazards associated if any? Thanks
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Cutting Zinc coated metal

Post by muzza »

Yes, I've cut it in light gauge. I'd say it cuts much cleaner than uncoated with virtually no dross at all but I have downdraft ventilation and water tray so I don't get any fumes that you can notice. I still also make sure I have both doors wide open to get maximum ventilation.
Do a google search or similar on the hazards as it is very toxic and will kill you if you don't have sufficient ventilation, as will welding it. Also take note of where you ventilate to as although you may not like your neighbor, killing him is probably a bit extreme. I have my extraction fan dump into a water trough which captures most of the heavy metals.

Hope that helps
Murray
pjsr
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pjsr »

Thanks. That was helpful. I don't need to add anything more toxic to my life. I won't be cutting any more of that!
pjsr
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pjsr »

Actually after reading up on the Zinc thing it really is not that bad if you don't breath it. But, will still reconsider using.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”