Cut quality - 16 ga

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Charlene
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Cut quality - 16 ga

Post by Charlene »

I am hoping that someone (ie: Jim Colt ;) ) can help me. I am trying to cut a fairly detailed cut from 16 ga but I am ending up with a lot of dross and it also seems to be burning too hot because it is blowing things out. I am attaching a pic so you can see it (it blows out the legs & some of the palmetto leaves).

I have:
PM 85 with 45 amp fine cut
40 amp/70 psi (also tried 38 amp/68 psi)
80 volts
250 ipm (also tried 235 psi)
.15 ph / .06 ch
mach with CandCNC

What else do you need to know? What should I try?... Thanks! :?
Attachments
IMAG0200.jpg
IMAG0199.jpg
IMAG0198.jpg
IMAG0196.jpg
IMAG0195.jpg
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cut quality - 16 ga

Post by jimcolt »

If you look at your cut sample you will see that the longer sections without a lot of detail are relatively dross free...yet all of the detailed areas (small details, sharp corners) are drossy. Plasma needs to maintain its speed to cut dross free...typically if there is dross....increse the speed and it will minimize or go away completely.

It looks to me like your machine is not getting up to and maintaining the cut speed in the details....this likely is either due to 1. Acceleration rates are too slow, or 2. The drive motors simply do not have enough acceleration capability to achieve the necessary speeds during detailed cutting. If the arc is "blowing out"...that is another indication that acceleration is sluggish.

I don't know enough about your machine....but you may want to revisit motor tuning to see if acceleration / de-acceleration rates, and or corner speed rates can be increased without affecting the machines accuracy.

If you cannot make the above changes...here are a few tricks that may help:

- Try lowering the water level so that less water contacts the material...if you go too low there will be more fumes.
- Get some Mig welding anti-spatter spray (at all welding supply dealers) and spray the bottom side of the material before cutting.
-Make sure your physical cut height stays within about .060" to .080 inches of the plate...any higher and more dross will be present. On 16 gauge you can get away with a pierce height of .06"....it is possible that the height control is not achieveing cut height on small details.

Hope this helps a bit, Best Regards, Jim Colt

Charlene wrote:I am hoping that someone (ie: Jim Colt ;) ) can help me. I am trying to cut a fairly detailed cut from 16 ga but I am ending up with a lot of dross and it also seems to be burning too hot because it is blowing things out. I am attaching a pic so you can see it (it blows out the legs & some of the palmetto leaves).

I have:
PM 85 with 45 amp fine cut
40 amp/70 psi (also tried 38 amp/68 psi)
80 volts
250 ipm (also tried 235 psi)
.15 ph / .06 ch
mach with CandCNC

What else do you need to know? What should I try?... Thanks! :?
Charlene
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Charlene »

Thanks Jim. I will go back to the Bladerunner manuals and see about changing the acceleration rates. I will update as soon as I can.

On a side note, how do you feel about a short drive to the Portland area?! Can you be rented?!! :? 8-) ;)
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

We may be able to work out a trade...I will be building a Bladerunner kit (have had all of the components in a box for close to a year now) when time permits....and I would like to learn a bit more about the operation and setup....in turn I could likely help with plasma related issues. I have both a PlasmaCam (Powermax85) and a Torchmate (Powermax45) in my shop currently.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Charlene wrote:Thanks Jim. I will go back to the Bladerunner manuals and see about changing the acceleration rates. I will update as soon as I can.

On a side note, how do you feel about a short drive to the Portland area?! Can you be rented?!! :? 8-) ;)
Charlene
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Charlene »

Just sent you a PM. Thanks.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”