More safety tips...

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

More safety tips...

Post by GoingCustom »

So for those that remember the pictures of when I took a grinder to the face back in October 2010 and learned from it... apparently I didn't lol. Although this time it wasn't the grinder. I was cleaning a horseshoe for a cross that I was making when the wire wheel caught the horseshoe, sucked it in and spit it right back out the top. Got it right between the eyes. I had my oakley's on which were destroyed *moment of silence for the oakley's please* But the horseshoe also hit just above the bridge of the sunglasses aka my forehead. So now that I've been extremely lucky twice, I'll be investing in a quality full face shield. I'll also be taking a few weeks off from doing metal work, get the garage cleaned up, get some new designs going, taking a trip to Florida and then I'll regroup in February after I've had some time to heal and relax.

Haven't been able to find the other half or the lenses yet

What I was making
Travis
http://www.goingcustom.com
one of a kind gates, fine art and CNC designs
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: More safety tips...

Post by wickedinhere »

OUch
plasmajoe

Post by plasmajoe »

I always say safety glasses and face shields will prevent most injury like yours. Glad to see you are still standing. Hey this is number two if I recall right? Don't do number three pal, you have enough scars on you now. I am so saddened about the Oakley's, they did not deserve that you know... :lol:

Thanks for the safety share,

Plasma Joe
4R8
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 4R8 »

Man, that is lucky!
or unlucky, I'm kinda confused now.......
Nope Lucky it got you there! an inch either way.......

Thats a nice looking piece, different to anything I've seen before.
stdave66
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by stdave66 »

Wow! Be careful man! That goes for everyone else on here also. It's easy to forget that things can and do happen!
My personal worst was I was in a fire in 2005. 45% of me 2nd and 3rd degree burns, and I would be blind if I didn't have my safety glasses on.
DISCONNECTED
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DISCONNECTED »

Man that sucks.Could have been alot worse though.Glad to see your still standing.I have had some accidents over the years too.Get that face shield,the best one.Good luck to you.
rpage
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rpage »

wow you really take the hard road dont you? :)

glad to know you are ok. and the face shield may be your best investment ever. you seem to be hard on your head.

take care.
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

Good thing it got you in the head, you seem to be pretty durable there! LOL Seriously glad you weren't hurt worse & hope you heal ok. Those wire brushes can be wicked. I use them on a regular basis & have the scars to prove it. Got one tangled in my shirt tail one day & scared my belly before I could get control of it.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

Wire brush wheels are extremely dangerous. I always use a full face shield when using mine because small wires can break off and fly up under your safety glasses. I've had pieces jerked out of my hands but so far been lucky and not got hurt.

Dave Hanks
metalart
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by metalart »

Whew, glad you're OK. Lessons learned hopefully for all of us. Take care and have no more accidents.
tznv8s
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by tznv8s »

ouchhh ! ! ! !
Metal Lee
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Metal Lee »

It may be safer for you to chase bad guys! At least you can shoot back, lol :lol:
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
GoingCustom

Post by GoingCustom »

Metal Lee wrote:It may be safer for you to chase bad guys! At least you can shoot back, lol :lol:
As much as it hurts sometimes, I get hurt worse off duty than I do on duty... I suppose that's good and bad. Good that it's not someone trying to hurt me, bad because work doesn't cover my off duty injuries lol.
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

I?m guessing, with all of the facial scars that you have, that the ?bad boys and girls? show you a little bit more respect. Glad you?re okay.
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

Glad your ok but don't quit your day job. Iv'e been working with steel for over 20 years and the worse that's ever happened has been a few bruised knuckles every now and again. Next time you may not be so lucky and then you won't have any job to go to. If your getting hurt that badly maybe it's not about safety but common sense. The two don't always go hand in hand.
GoingCustom

Post by GoingCustom »

DARRYL21270 wrote:Glad your ok but don't quit your day job. Iv'e been working with steel for over 20 years and the worse that's ever happened has been a few bruised knuckles every now and again. Next time you may not be so lucky and then you won't have any job to go to. If your getting hurt that badly maybe it's not about safety but common sense. The two don't always go hand in hand.
opinions are like assholes...
Travis
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

GoingCustom wrote:
DARRYL21270 wrote:Glad your ok but don't quit your day job. Iv'e been working with steel for over 20 years and the worse that's ever happened has been a few bruised knuckles every now and again. Next time you may not be so lucky and then you won't have any job to go to. If your getting hurt that badly maybe it's not about safety but common sense. The two don't always go hand in hand.
opinions are like assholes...
True, but you would be surprised how many of them look alike :shock:
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

Wasn't meant to be disrespectful but maybe as a hint from someone that isn't close to you to give it up now before you lose an eye or a limb or something. The tools aren't the reason why your getting hurt, it's you. All i'm saying is own up to it before you really do some permanent damage.
GoingCustom

Post by GoingCustom »

DARRYL21270 wrote:Wasn't meant to be disrespectful but maybe as a hint from someone that isn't close to you to give it up now before you lose an eye or a limb or something. The tools aren't the reason why your getting hurt, it's you. All i'm saying is own up to it before you really do some permanent damage.
When did I ever say it was the machinery's fault? I'm fully aware of it being my fault that it happened. I've taken OSHA classes, know I should be using vicegrips on the piece being cleaned with the wire wheel for this very reason... Completely aware of the dangers when doing metal work. Working 50+ hours as an officer and then coming home and working another 30+ hours a week for my business while trying to remodel my house; it comes down to me not getting enough sleep. Before my business started growing it wasn't such an issue (no accidents)... I'm learning I need to tell people it'll be a little longer before their project is done so I can get some rest.

Everyone close to me gives me crap about it, so it doesn't take someone I don't know or with 20+ years of no major injuries to tell me. Congrats on your accomplishment :roll: The whole point of posting the pics and description of what happened was to be a reminder to everyone to not get complacent when working with power tools/in the shop.
Travis
Metal Lee

Post by Metal Lee »

GoingCustom wrote:
DARRYL21270 wrote:Wasn't meant to be disrespectful but maybe as a hint from someone that isn't close to you to give it up now before you lose an eye or a limb or something. The tools aren't the reason why your getting hurt, it's you. All i'm saying is own up to it before you really do some permanent damage.
When did I ever say it was the machinery's fault? I'm fully aware of it being my fault that it happened. I've taken OSHA classes, know I should be using vicegrips on the piece being cleaned with the wire wheel for this very reason... Completely aware of the dangers when doing metal work. Working 50+ hours as an officer and then coming home and working another 30+ hours a week for my business while trying to remodel my house; it comes down to me not getting enough sleep. Before my business started growing it wasn't such an issue (no accidents)... I'm learning I need to tell people it'll be a little longer before their project is done so I can get some rest.

Everyone close to me gives me crap about it, so it doesn't take someone I don't know or with 20+ years of no major injuries to tell me. Congrats on your accomplishment :roll: The whole point of posting the pics and description of what happened was to be a reminder to everyone to not get complacent when working with power tools/in the shop.
Thanks for your posts Going Custom, all to often we do get complacent and as a result we get hurt and we are able to come back to reality, I just turned 39 and every day I wake up and try to move I am reminded of the stupid things I did in prior years, multiple shoulder dislocations, 10 broken bones that resulted in corrective surgery's and this summer am scheduled for a tripple hurnia surgery, and none of it happened at work lol, work hard and play harder! We can all learn from each other. I hope you are healing well, a little R and R goes a long way.
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”