Cutting square pipe on TM table, setting origin point

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
ARironworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting square pipe on TM table, setting origin point

Post by ARironworks »

What's up y'all. I'm trying to cut evenly spaced square holes in rectangular 1 x 2 pipe. I'm gonna cut the holes in several pipes in one run, and then flip them all over to cut holes in the same spots of the other side. The holes need to be perfectly in center, and after the cuts you should be able to slide pickets through each hole.

So far I've had difficult getting the torch precisely aligned to set program Zero. Any recommendations on how I can be more accurate than just using the laser (which i find a little inaccurate even on sheet?) to move and set program Zero? Can I enter specific coordinates and set it there each time? Where can I view which coordinates I'm at?

More info: my current strategy is to cut some custom table slats that properly hold the pipe, and are lowers so they leave the bottom portion submerged in the water. Imagine a normal slat with a wide square channel cut out of the top side. I will line several pipes up together push them up against the side of the slats (where there is an taller end to receive it), clamp them together with 2 48" clamps, cut one side, then flip it all over together.

Thank you
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting square pipe on TM table, setting origin point

Post by adbuch »

I don't own a TorchMate table, but I expect the process would be the same regardless of table. I would suggest some fixturing for repeatable positioning of the rectangular pipe or pipes onto your table. Once you have your G54x and G54y values established (work coordinate offsets) for the first part, then the process should provide repeatable results for your cut locations. One method to zero your torch to the work for the first cut would be to use a torch pointer attachment to locate the 0,0 location for your first rectangle. Once you have your torch located to the center of the rectangle (0,0) then try a test cut on a short piece of scrap to make sure you have it dialed in. That's probably the process I would use on my Plasmacam table.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here are several I use and recommend.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125453655657?i ... SwYL1fWIJX
torch pointer.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126287669358?i ... SwxHhlqH4F
torch pointer 1.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

ARironworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ARironworks »

The precision pointer is great! Thank you for that.

Yeah I'm planning fixtures for repeatable positioning of the pipes right now. One more thing. I could always use the set the origin point at the bottom corner of the square hole, but are you able to explain how I would have the origin start at center of my square instead?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ARironworks wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:58 am The precision pointer is great! Thank you for that.

Yeah I'm planning fixtures for repeatable positioning of the pipes right now. One more thing. I could always use the set the origin point at the bottom corner of the square hole, but are you able to explain how I would have the origin start at center of my square instead?
Move your torch with pointer until it aligns with the center of the square, record the x, y coordinates, and set you G54 offsets to that value.
David
ARironworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ARironworks »

Thank you

Return to “Torchmate Forum”