Different layers not lining up when cut

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Different layers not lining up when cut

Post by @metalman23 »

So I have a file that has 2 different layers, one for the main cutouts at a faster speed, and one for some holes, at a lower speed, so they're more accurate.

When I run the file on my table, the holes are coming out off center from the other cutouts, on my cad file, the holes are perfectly lined up, I don't see how on earth this could be, or what to do about it.

I guess I could drill the holes out later, but thats not the point of spending a bunch of money on the stupid plasma table
20240221_093330.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Different layers not lining up when cut

Post by Larry83301 »

It might not be the table. Have you verified the positions of the holes in the cut program, if so then try doing the holes FIRST and then tthe part. Just my two cents

Larry
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Are the 2 layers planned together using SheetCam for 2 separate operation or 2 separate plans. The way I would plan that is a single layer in the DXF file and then in Sheetcam move the holes to a new layer. Cut plan cut holes first with slower speeds and the the other as a second step with the original layer at the fast speed.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
68rscamaro
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 68rscamaro »

What software are you running? If you're using sheetcam you simply put everything on one layer and have it slow down on holes.
Without seeing more it's hard to tell what's going on, Could be an offset issue but who knows. I guarantee that it's user error though and the machine is doing exactly what you're telling it to do!
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

Larry83301 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:11 am It might not be the table. Have you verified the positions of the holes in the cut program, if so then try doing the holes FIRST and then tthe part. Just my two cents

Larry
In sheetcam the holes look lined up perfectly
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:13 am Are the 2 layers planned together using SheetCam for 2 separate operation or 2 separate plans. The way I would plan that is a single layer in the DXF file and then in Sheetcam move the holes to a new layer. Cut plan cut holes first with slower speeds and the the other as a second step with the original layer at the fast speed.
My cad drawing had 2 separate layers, that I used in sheetcam, I'm not sure how to separate entities in sheet cam into different layers
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

68rscamaro wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am What software are you running? If you're using sheetcam you simply put everything on one layer and have it slow down on holes.
Without seeing more it's hard to tell what's going on, Could be an offset issue but who knows. I guarantee that it's user error though and the machine is doing exactly what you're telling it to do!
I'm using sheetcam, how do i use 2 different cut speeds on the same layer?
68rscamaro
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 68rscamaro »

@metalman23 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:28 am
68rscamaro wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am What software are you running? If you're using sheetcam you simply put everything on one layer and have it slow down on holes.
I'm using sheetcam, how do i use 2 different cut speeds on the same layer?
You can make rule in "path rules" something like on holes smaller than 1.5 in. set feedrate to 50%
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Edit contours=>Right click on hole(s) then:
Layer 1 Name it "holes", Inside offset.
New Jet cutting operation in sheet cam slow the holes down to 60% of book speed with all the other correct properties as well. Not sure what you are running.
Edit Contours=> Right click on your outside object
Layer 2 Name it "outside cut" or whatever you want.
New Jet cutting operation for this. "Outside Cut", outside offset. Regular book speed with all the other correct properties.

When you state the holes are coming out off center. Do you mean egg shaped and not round.

Note: when I refer to book speed i am referring to the Hypertherm mechanized cutting charts. Not sure what toolset you have loaded in Sheetcam either.
Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

@metalman23 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:25 am
Larry83301 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:11 am It might not be the table. Have you verified the positions of the holes in the cut program, if so then try doing the holes FIRST and then tthe part. Just my two cents

Larry
In sheetcam the holes look lined up perfectly
[/quote'}

Look at the file that you are sending to the machine and see if the center line of your part and the center of the holees are inline, not in your CAD program but in the actual file that your plasma machine gets.

Larry
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

TJS wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:17 pm Edit contours=>Right click on hole(s) then:
Layer 1 Name it "holes", Inside offset.
New Jet cutting operation in sheet cam slow the holes down to 60% of book speed with all the other correct properties as well. Not sure what you are running.
Edit Contours=> Right click on your outside object
Layer 2 Name it "outside cut" or whatever you want.
New Jet cutting operation for this. "Outside Cut", outside offset. Regular book speed with all the other correct properties.

When you state the holes are coming out off center. Do you mean egg shaped and not round.

Note: when I refer to book speed i am referring to the Hypertherm mechanized cutting charts. Not sure what toolset you have loaded in Sheetcam either.
When I say not lining up I mean that the hole layer, is completely misaligned with the other layer even though they line up perfectly in the drawing, so the holes are about a quarter inch off of where they're supposed to be
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

here you go
speed.JPG

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

These guys have good advice for getting a better quality hole but I realize it won't solve your issue of the holes being misaligned.

Since you are sure everything looks good in your software one thing you could check is your rapid speed. Many people like to max out the rapid speed, but some tables can't handle it and can lose steps or positioning on acceleration, deceleration, during the rapid, or all of them.

Worth looking into anyway. Let us know.
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

i can try running the program after separating the layers in sheetcam, but i'm running out of 14ga, i need to get one of those pen holders TJS has, and figure out how to use it
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

weldguy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:40 am These guys have good advice for getting a better quality hole but I realize it won't solve your issue of the holes being misaligned.

Since you are sure everything looks good in your software one thing you could check is your rapid speed. Many people like to max out the rapid speed, but some tables can't handle it and can lose steps or positioning on acceleration, deceleration, during the rapid, or all of them.

Worth looking into anyway. Let us know.
I can look into that, everything that messes up on this machine, always messes up on the x axis, so it may be a mechanical problem, i'll have to go over everything and check that i'ts tight
TJS

Post by TJS »

@metalman23 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:06 pm i can try running the program after separating the layers in sheetcam, but i'm running out of 14ga, i need to get one of those pen holders TJS has, and figure out how to use it
@acourtjester is your man for the pen tool. Best material saver.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Sharpie pen holder for cnc plasma on Ebay as well. I often use one for drawing the part instead of cutting while I am getting it dialed in. A great material saver, and very easy to use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115805862457?i ... R5r_-t-6Yw

David
sharpie pen holder for cnc plasma.jpg

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”