Which Plasma unit should I use?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Farmer850
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Which Plasma unit should I use?

Post by Farmer850 »

I am in the process of bringing a Fastcut G6 table back to life. I currently have two plasma units in the shop, a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 and a Thermal Dynamics A120. Trying to decide which to dedicate to the table. Both came to me with hand torches only so will be getting a machine torch for one. Thoughts on cut quality and consumable life for each would be greatly appreciated.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Which Plasma unit should I use?

Post by Joe Jones »

Your decision might be made for you, in that I was unable to FIND a machine torch for the TD A120 machine.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

depending on the thickness of the metal you are cutting, you can buy a Hypertherm Plasma unit with only a machine torch or both.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Farmer850 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:53 am I am in the process of bringing a Fastcut G6 table back to life. I currently have two plasma units in the shop, a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 and a Thermal Dynamics A120. Trying to decide which to dedicate to the table. Both came to me with hand torches only so will be getting a machine torch for one. Thoughts on cut quality and consumable life for each would be greatly appreciated.

This takes the same Duramax retrofit torch my 1250 does (just click on the mechanized torch option here):

https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/hypert ... 1250-1650/
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

If the Hypertherm is in good shape I would get the Duramax upgrade torch for it as Segoman suggested. The A120 uses an SL100 machine torch which I am sure is still available, and the TD machines are good units but not near as robust and reliable as the Hypertherm units in my opinion.
Farmer850
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Farmer850 »

Thanks for the input. Today I found a nice used Duramax torch for the Hypertherm, so the A120 will go on the cart for hand use.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”